Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1305694 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14265 on: December 27, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »
Currently, the windshield wipers on my new (to  me) car.

I just got my 4th VW, a cute littel 2001 Golf. I love her. I am accustomed to the VW quirks that each car will have... but this one is really annoying.

The Hawk and I are back in Winnipeg (Hi Shalamar!), and as previously mentioned, it gets COLD. My windshield wipers have conveniently decided that once it is below-25C, they just aren't going to work . The first time it happened, I thought the wiper motor had seized (another VW feature), so I took it in the garage to thaw and was going to work on it. Low and behold, when I went to test them after the car had been in the garage over night... they worked just fine. Rinse & repeat every time we get a chilly night. *sigh*

That is highly irritating!  If they sell a car in an area that gets that cold (and colder!) then all functions of the car should perform at all temperatures!

On Monday of this week, the time/temp clock I drove past said it was -17F at 7:30 in the morning.  It really doesn't seem worthwhile to go anywhere when it's that cold...and the windchill made it worse.  I informed my DH it had descended to "swearingly cold" weather - where you swear every time the weather comes up!

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14266 on: December 27, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »
Lately, my phone has been ringing at the most inopportune times or when I do not feel like being interrupted. I suppose I got my wish of NO INTERRUPTIONS during the Doctor Who Christmas Special, but I'm beginning to wonder if all those potential interruptions are now being paid back the next day.

I got in the shower - phone rang right as I shampooed my hair.

I went to brush my teeth after breakfast - phone rings as I'm using the pre-brush rinse.

I started getting out leftover Christmas dinner to warm up for Boyfriend and me - phone rings right when my hands are greasy.

I washed the dishes - phone rings when I'm in the middle of putting a very heavy casserole dish away.

ARGH! I'm tired of the phone!

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your problem is. Do you not have voice mail?  Now we have caller ID - I don't answer if we don't recognize the number - they will leave a message if it is important.

In the 1950s, '60s, and 70's, I often said that if it was important, they would call back.

Ever since we got out first answering machine in the 1980s, it didn't take me more than a minute to get over the phone's ringing as a command performance.  We have many times just been too busy or involved with other interests  :)  to answer the phone.

My phone is for my convenience.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #14267 on: December 28, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
People who want to type and walk:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/171699804517241352/

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #14268 on: December 28, 2013, 07:20:26 PM »
Lately, my phone has been ringing at the most inopportune times or when I do not feel like being interrupted. I suppose I got my wish of NO INTERRUPTIONS during the Doctor Who Christmas Special, but I'm beginning to wonder if all those potential interruptions are now being paid back the next day.

I got in the shower - phone rang right as I shampooed my hair.

I went to brush my teeth after breakfast - phone rings as I'm using the pre-brush rinse.

I started getting out leftover Christmas dinner to warm up for Boyfriend and me - phone rings right when my hands are greasy.

I washed the dishes - phone rings when I'm in the middle of putting a very heavy casserole dish away.

ARGH! I'm tired of the phone!

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your problem is. Do you not have voice mail?  Now we have caller ID - I don't answer if we don't recognize the number - they will leave a message if it is important.

In the 1950s, '60s, and 70's, I often said that if it was important, they would call back.

Ever since we got out first answering machine in the 1980s, it didn't take me more than a minute to get over the phone's ringing as a command performance.  We have many times just been too busy or involved with other interests  :)  to answer the phone.

My phone is for my convenience.

Sometimes I do. It is the timing of it ringing that irritated me. They were all calls I was waiting for and needed to answer.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

mlmama

« Reply #14269 on: December 29, 2013, 12:11:29 AM »
When my SO puts in a movie or TV show to watch before bedtime and I get into it, then he turns it off right before the end. Really. Like 5 minutes before. Drives me crazy. Even if I didn't start out watching, I am now! Let it finish!  One of his many little quirks I put up with.  ;)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14270 on: December 29, 2013, 05:37:40 AM »
When my SO puts in a movie or TV show to watch before bedtime and I get into it, then he turns it off right before the end. Really. Like 5 minutes before. Drives me crazy. Even if I didn't start out watching, I am now! Let it finish!  One of his many little quirks I put up with.  ;)

That would make me homicidal.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14271 on: December 30, 2013, 09:36:24 AM »
i'm pretty sure someone raised this here already but -

when people respond to a question without reading *all* the information/parameters. it just came up on a different forum that i am on - someone asked for lunch ideas. she wrote the *very* specific parameters: she needs lunch ideas that are high in protein and are not meat/fish/chicken, are not beans (though she later clarified that she can have lentils), are not soy/tofu, no wheat, low or no carb, have lots of vegetables. she said she ends up eating eggs/cheese in some form every day and is looking for a change.

so what suggestions did she get?
*muffins (yeah, that's high in carbs)
*soy based fake chicken (she said no soy/tofu prdocuts)
*meat, fish, tuna (she said no meat/fish)
*frittata, omelets with cheese (ummm, that's what she already EATS, and what she wants to change)

seriously, i know she had a LOT of restrictions in her request, but that is whay she asked on a foodie forum. is it so hard to do what i did and offer her recipes for lentil burgers, mushroom stew, nut loaf? Oh and she got a 'lecture' from someone on how much protein she actually needs...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14272 on: December 30, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »

Why, in the name of all that is righteous and holy, would anybody turn off a show five minutes before the end? 

EmmaJ.

« Reply #14273 on: December 30, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »
Too many acronyms confuse and irritate me. I've read various stories where the poster uses DF and i have no idea if she means Dear Father or Dear Fiance or Dear Friend or Dear Fink.   :)

And then there are the stories about an entire family - DF, DS, DSM, GMIL, DSM, FIL, GM, SS, SB, DT, DGF.....  By the time i get to the end of the post, I have no idea who did what to whom.

GreenHall

« Reply #14274 on: December 30, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »
Too many acronyms confuse and irritate me. I've read various stories where the poster uses DF and i have no idea if she means Dear Father or Dear Fiance or Dear Friend or Dear Fink.   :)

And then there are the stories about an entire family - DF, DS, DSM, GMIL, DSM, FIL, GM, SS, SB, DT, DGF.....  By the time i get to the end of the post, I have no idea who did what to whom.

Yes! Especially iF the OP doesnt clarify on the first go round, or there are two people with the same relationship initials, dear sister and dear son were both possibilities in a recent thread.  Later conversation made it clear it all nuclear family, so son, but I wasn't 100% certain to start with.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14275 on: December 30, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
That's why I use exactly two personage abbreviations:  OP (original poster) and SO (significant other)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14276 on: December 30, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »

Why, in the name of all that is righteous and holy, would anybody turn off a show five minutes before the end?
I have because I was literally falling asleep, and if I didn't get to bed, I would sleep fitfully in the chair instead of soundly in bed. But I live alone. If someone else was there I would excuse myself and simily ask they didn't delete the show if it was on Aereo. The other services I use I would simply FF to the last thing I remember of the show.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14277 on: December 30, 2013, 11:36:19 AM »
Called the company who made the child's train table to let them know our kit was missing the bolts.  The girl asked me for my name and then after repeating it she says nothing, but her tone went up as though she was expecting something else but she wasn't asking.

Me: You need our address?
Her: Yeah... *in an "isn't that obvious?" tone*

I gave it to her but found myself a bit annoyed (or maybe it's just that I'm just annoyed in general this morning). If you want an address, ask!  She hadn't said anything about needing it, hadn't even said they'd mail out replacement parts so it wasn't necessarily intuitive that they'd need our address. 

As for other things that are irritating me:

1) I'm going out to visit bff in the next year and going by train. Dh said he can afford to take 3-4 days off because he doesn't get paid vacation.  Now friend lives in the Midwest, I'm on the east coast and it's going to take about 24 hours to get to her by train.  I know that.  I don't need him reminding me every 5 minutes of this fact while we're talking about me going out there.  I'm scatterbrained, yes, but for pete's sake, I'm not Dory.

2) Middle child riling up his toddler brother while we're watching a movie then acting innocent about it.  >:( 

3) Just in general feeling like no one listens to me or gives me credit for having a brain and ability to think for myself.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14278 on: December 30, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »
DH drove us to brunch yesterday, a Sunday afternoon during the holiday break, and was astounded that there were other people out! The parking lots were nearly full!  ::)

He also needs a new pillow, so I directed him to the pillow section, but he didn't like any of the 15 or so models available. Too flat, too thin, etc. I left him in the pillow aisle and got the rest of my items.

This one is whited out for possible triggers.

I play a game based on facebook. It is about collecting items, and sharing items and completing daily challenges on items. I like it and have been playing it a long time. There are very rare items out, that it takes a long time or very good luck to find. A new player was asking for the very rare items and when other players replied that those items are very rare and hard to come by. This adult person threatened suicide if someone didn't give one to them. I flagged the post, and asked the person to seek counseling in real life.  >:(

I do not mess around with that kind of talk. At all.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #14279 on: December 30, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »
My car's defroster is driving me nuts currently.  We're under a wind chill advisory and a winter weather advisory, so it's cold and snowy and cold and did I mention COLD yet? :)  I want to keep my defroster on for both my front and back windows, so that they stay clear and don't fog up on me (I can fog half of my front windshield by myself just by breathing when it's especially cold).  Instead, the manufacturer of my car has determined that defrost is a temporary thing, and really doesn't need to be on for more than 15 minutes or so, so it turns itself off automatically at that time.  After 15 minutes!  I really really hate fiddling with the controls to turn defrost back on again 2 or 3 times during my 45 minute drive home!
The electric defroster on a rear window is designed for removing frost or fog.  It sounds to me like you are using it correctly.  It is not designed to remove rain.  When use to remove rain or when accidentally left on when the window is clear it can produce enough heat that the window breaks.  I know someone who that happened to.  He was near Raleigh, North Carolina.  It was 20 years ago, before the 15 minute limit was added. 

Its like anything else - when you optimize for one thing you loose something else. 

That happened in my dad's car when I was young - rear window defogger was on, and another car passed us, splashing the window with cold water. It shattered completely into safety-glass fragments - sounded like a gunshot!
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).