Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1685397 times)

Allyson

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14295 on: January 01, 2014, 04:54:26 PM »
Weird social drama annoys me! I was at a NYE gathering, really too small to be even called a party--there were 7 of us at the most, but 2 left early. They're more my boyfriend's friends than mine, but it was fun and I like everyone (some very much, others at least enough to socialize with.) We'd all settled in when randomly someone I hadn't met before showed up. Everyone seemed surprised-ish by this, and the dynamic seemed kind of off. One of the other guests left almost right away.

It turned out that only the host knew she was coming, but hadn't told anyone as a 'surprise', despite the fact that only himself was really close with her, and the others were sort of..friend-ish with her years back, but there had been drama and issues. The guest who left had major bad blood with her, and didn't even want to be in the room with her. The host knew about the bad blood, but still hadn't bothered to tell her she was coming. I was oblivious to the whole thing till afterwards. Now everyone is rather irritated at the situation and it just kind of cast a cloud over what was otherwise a really nice night.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #14296 on: January 02, 2014, 04:38:40 AM »
Also, why is everybody "dear?"
Yeah.  When posters are talking about how toxic their aunt is, why is she referred to as DA? 

I find the "D / Dear" convention a rather charming peculiarity of this board.  I see it as a reflection of this being a place where people do strive to behave well and to be nice to others, a la "render unto no person evil for evil".  Making a point of referring to "Dear Husband", "Dear Aunt", etc. -- even though the behaviour of the person concerned may be for a time, or normally, sub-optimal -- strikes me as something praiseworthy.

The eHell convention which I personally dislike, is "Pod" -- it makes me cringe, and from things I have read elsewhere on the board, I'm not the only one.  This is of course, my issue to deal with -- those who like the expression, have every right to use it !

Redsoil

« Reply #14297 on: January 02, 2014, 06:38:03 AM »
Peter Jackson.  I understand the basic premise that Hollywood doesn't follow plot-lines of books slavishly, but Peter's unmitigated gall in introducing extraneous characters, scenes that don't even resemble anything in the books and downright buggering of Tolkien's world is to be deplored.  What's worse is that he claims to be a fan of Tolkien and wanted to "stay true" to the books.  Thrice damned liar!!!

HATED "The Desolation of Smaug" - ruined my day entirely.  The world of Tolkien is wondrous and beautifully laid out.    Jackson has butchered it and keeps reanimating the smelly corpse...over and over.  Dude - you've already DONE "Lord of the Rings" - stop trying to make "The Hobbit" the same!  Twit.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Carotte

« Reply #14298 on: January 02, 2014, 06:52:57 AM »
Not knowing why I feel so lousy and not knowing how to express it to my SO while the day (what was planned and why) doesn't allow me to just be by myself so that no one suffers my *bad* temper and I can just unwind.

Yesterday I felt attacked everytime he asked me what was wrong, I half explained one of the reasons but you can't really say "I don't want to see or host people right now" when you still have a house guest right next to you.
I find I need more and more time alone to unwind and feel ok, I need to be mentally prepared if I am to spend the day or part of it with more than a few people but right now I'm struggling a bit to juggle 'me time' and not being or appearing rude to others.
I guess that's end of year festivity for a lot of us introverts  :-\

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14299 on: January 02, 2014, 08:16:54 AM »
Yeah.  When posters are talking about how toxic their aunt is, why is she referred to as DA? 

I find the "D / Dear" convention a rather charming peculiarity of this board.  I see it as a reflection of this being a place where people do strive to behave well and to be nice to others, a la "render unto no person evil for evil".  Making a point of referring to "Dear Husband", "Dear Aunt", etc. -- even though the behaviour of the person concerned may be for a time, or normally, sub-optimal -- strikes me as something praiseworthy.

The eHell convention which I personally dislike, is "Pod" -- it makes me cringe, and from things I have read elsewhere on the board, I'm not the only one.  This is of course, my issue to deal with -- those who like the expression, have every right to use it !

Well the D could always refer to another adjective. ;)  I haven't just seen the "D(initial of relation)" here, but it seems to be an internet convention really, at least on forums.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14300 on: January 02, 2014, 08:27:21 AM »
Peter Jackson.  I understand the basic premise that Hollywood doesn't follow plot-lines of books slavishly, but Peter's unmitigated gall in introducing extraneous characters, scenes that don't even resemble anything in the books and downright buggering of Tolkien's world is to be deplored.  What's worse is that he claims to be a fan of Tolkien and wanted to "stay true" to the books.  Thrice damned liar!!!

HATED "The Desolation of Smaug" - ruined my day entirely.  The world of Tolkien is wondrous and beautifully laid out.    Jackson has butchered it and keeps reanimating the smelly corpse...over and over.  Dude - you've already DONE "Lord of the Rings" - stop trying to make "The Hobbit" the same!  Twit.
I cannot respect anyone who breaks my First Rule of Book to Movie Adaptations: Adding Romantic Subplots where there was never a Romantic Subplot before.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14301 on: January 02, 2014, 08:48:49 AM »

I am on two other forums and they also use DF/DS/DD, etc. They have no connection to this forum.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14302 on: January 02, 2014, 09:01:52 AM »
Realized another one when browsing Pinterest. Improper labeling.

From what I know of Victorian styles, this is NOT Victorian. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/347340189982224845/
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14303 on: January 02, 2014, 09:23:46 AM »

From what I know of Victorian styles, this is NOT Victorian. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/347340189982224845/

Well, it COULD conceivably be a costume from a Victorian fancy dress ball but that's still pushing things. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #14304 on: January 02, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »
My mother trying to parent over us or trying to minimize our lesson when she doesn't agree with it. I swear if she laughs one more time I am going to blow my top. It doesn't matter if she agrees, doesn't matter if she "knows better", there is no good reason to laugh at someone's efforts; and you definitely don't try to parent over them.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Snooks

« Reply #14305 on: January 02, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »

I almost had a nap during it.  I don't think DH appreciated my interpretation of how I think the next film should go on the way home (it involved a pretty awesome impression of Smaug by me and lasted less than five minutes).

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14306 on: January 02, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »

Well, it COULD conceivably be a costume from a Victorian fancy dress ball but that's still pushing things. 

The same poster also identified a publicity shot from The Tudors, an 18th century morning suit and several Colonial Williamsburg pictures as Victorian.

From her board description: "I love the whole Victorian appeal of fashion, this is meant to be a board of pretty photography, fantasy fashion and fairytale dreams. This is NOT a board of Historical Events, so please stop Correcting me on my pin titles. You can repin and title it to your liking, but leave my fantasies Alone!" Personally, this would drive me crazy. Have all the pretty historical, fantasy, historically "inspired" pictures you like but is it really necessary to mislabel them?

Snooks

« Reply #14307 on: January 02, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »

The same poster also identified a publicity shot from The Tudors, an 18th century morning suit and several Colonial Williamsburg pictures as Victorian.

From her board description: "I love the whole Victorian appeal of fashion, this is meant to be a board of pretty photography, fantasy fashion and fairytale dreams. This is NOT a board of Historical Events, so please stop Correcting me on my pin titles. You can repin and title it to your liking, but leave my fantasies Alone!" Personally, this would drive me crazy. Have all the pretty historical, fantasy, historically "inspired" pictures you like but is it really necessary to mislabel them?

What an odd fantasy, that everything she likes is Victorian.

BarensMom

« Reply #14308 on: January 02, 2014, 11:31:40 AM »

What an odd fantasy, that everything she likes is Victorian.

Went and looked at her Pinterest - she has no clue what is "Victorian," does she?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14309 on: January 02, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »

I enjoy Tolkien books. That's why I haven't seen the latest LOTR movie. Too much liberty taken.