Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1650981 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14310 on: January 02, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
My mother trying to parent over us or trying to minimize our lesson when she doesn't agree with it. I swear if she laughs one more time I am going to blow my top. It doesn't matter if she agrees, doesn't matter if she "knows better", there is no good reason to laugh at someone's efforts; and you definitely don't try to parent over them.

My parents tend to do that with me, and I'm in my 50s! Yeah, I hate it as much as you do.  :P

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14311 on: January 02, 2014, 12:27:38 PM »
Realized another one when browsing Pinterest. Improper labeling.

From what I know of Victorian styles, this is NOT Victorian. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/347340189982224845/

Well, it COULD conceivably be a costume from a Victorian fancy dress ball but that's still pushing things. 

The same poster also identified a publicity shot from The Tudors, an 18th century morning suit and several Colonial Williamsburg pictures as Victorian.

From her board description: "I love the whole Victorian appeal of fashion, this is meant to be a board of pretty photography, fantasy fashion and fairytale dreams. This is NOT a board of Historical Events, so please stop Correcting me on my pin titles. You can repin and title it to your liking, but leave my fantasies Alone!" Personally, this would drive me crazy. Have all the pretty historical, fantasy, historically "inspired" pictures you like but is it really necessary to mislabel them?

Ugh. One of my pet peeves is people who are way off the mark like this.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #14312 on: January 02, 2014, 01:53:40 PM »
I find the "D / Dear" convention a rather charming peculiarity of this board.  I see it as a reflection of this being a place where people do strive to behave well and to be nice to others, a la "render unto no person evil for evil".  Making a point of referring to "Dear Husband", "Dear Aunt", etc. -- even though the behaviour of the person concerned may be for a time, or normally, sub-optimal -- strikes me as something praiseworthy.

Well the D could always refer to another adjective. ;)  I haven't just seen the "D(initial of relation)" here, but it seems to be an internet convention really, at least on forums.

And Ladyknight1 writes: "I am on two other forums and they also use DF/DS/ DD etc.  They have no connection to this forum."

Thanks, folks -- this is interesting.  To the best of my knowledge, I've only encountered the convention here.  Maybe I mostly frequent the wrong kinds of forum... !

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14313 on: January 02, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »

From what I know of Victorian styles, this is NOT Victorian. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/347340189982224845/

Well, it COULD conceivably be a costume from a Victorian fancy dress ball but that's still pushing things. 

The same poster also identified a publicity shot from The Tudors, an 18th century morning suit and several Colonial Williamsburg pictures as Victorian.

From her board description: "I love the whole Victorian appeal of fashion, this is meant to be a board of pretty photography, fantasy fashion and fairytale dreams. This is NOT a board of Historical Events, so please stop Correcting me on my pin titles. You can repin and title it to your liking, but leave my fantasies Alone!" Personally, this would drive me crazy. Have all the pretty historical, fantasy, historically "inspired" pictures you like but is it really necessary to mislabel them?

What an odd fantasy, that everything she likes is Victorian.

Went and looked at her Pinterest - she has no clue what is "Victorian," does she?

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means..."

The Victorian era is one of my favorites for architectural styles and fashion.  Had we been able to find a Victorian in decent condition in our price range I would have been tickled pink.  Nothing against our own home but I just really love Victorian homes.  Now I'm not a stickler for anachronisms but it does bug me when Colonial garb or homes are labeled as "Victorian."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cabbageweevil

« Reply #14314 on: January 02, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »
HATED "The Desolation of Smaug" - ruined my day entirely.  The world of Tolkien is wondrous and beautifully laid out.    Jackson has butchered it and keeps reanimating the smelly corpse...over and over.  Dude - you've already DONE "Lord of the Rings" - stop trying to make "The Hobbit" the same!  Twit.

I cannot respect anyone who breaks my First Rule of Book to Movie Adaptations: Adding Romantic Subplots where there was never a Romantic Subplot before.

I'm imagining J.R.R. Tolkien turning in his grave, over someone bringing "soppy love stuff" into The Hobbit.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14315 on: January 02, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »
We shut down university offices December 20th. When I left, I was one of the last people to leave and I turned off both my computer CPU and my scanner.

We reopened today. When I came in, my CPU was running. My chair had been adjusted. Things were scattered about.

I still have no idea who came into my locked office and turned on the computer. The deep cleaning that occurred during the closure explains the other things.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #14316 on: January 02, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
I'd be doing a deep scan on that computer right away.  Check the internet history, too.

nuit93

« Reply #14317 on: January 02, 2014, 03:13:08 PM »

Noooo...that's Georgian or Jacobean, isn't it?

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #14318 on: January 02, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »
Somebody watches too much stuffy television on PBS.   :o

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #14319 on: January 02, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
My mother trying to parent over us or trying to minimize our lesson when she doesn't agree with it. I swear if she laughs one more time I am going to blow my top. It doesn't matter if she agrees, doesn't matter if she "knows better", there is no good reason to laugh at someone's efforts; and you definitely don't try to parent over them.

My parents tend to do that with me, and I'm in my 50s! Yeah, I hate it as much as you do.  :P

I'm going to have to have another chat with her.  The first time she met my boyfriend and his daughter, she would listen to us tell the 6 year old "No, none of our drinks" and turn around and say "It's OK, you can have some of mine."  I already had a chat with her about that.  I don't know what her deal is, but I'm putting my foot down now.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14320 on: January 02, 2014, 05:22:56 PM »
We shut down university offices December 20th. When I left, I was one of the last people to leave and I turned off both my computer CPU and my scanner.

We reopened today. When I came in, my CPU was running. My chair had been adjusted. Things were scattered about.

I still have no idea who came into my locked office and turned on the computer. The deep cleaning that occurred during the closure explains the other things.
2 Thoughts
1. Did IT have workdays during shut down time and could they have been updating things?

2. How deep is the deep cleaning. Our custodians actually move the presentation station (AKA Teacher computer) and student stations to wax the floors/clean the carpets. THey turn the computers on after they plug everything back into the wall. Also until this year the head custodian had to log on in the library or on a classroom computer because they required them to use e-mail but didn't give them a computer.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14321 on: January 02, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »

I'm going to have to have another chat with her.  The first time she met my boyfriend and his daughter, she would listen to us tell the 6 year old "No, none of our drinks" and turn around and say "It's OK, you can have some of mine."  I already had a chat with her about that.  I don't know what her deal is, but I'm putting my foot down now.

I had an aunt who did that to me. I was correcting one of my older two at the dinner table while at my grandparent's house and said "No!" sternly.  My aunt let out a loud cackle and said "It's so funny to see you as a disciplinarian!" Gee, thanks...

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Redsoil

« Reply #14322 on: January 02, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »
Oh, the whole way through "Smaug", I was running VERY unflattering commentary in my head.  It was all I could do to restrain myself from screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and running out.  I very nearly left several times, but had hubby with me, so didn't.

Magpie - next time your mother undermines you, say sternly to her "NO!  In THIS house we go by the parents rules.  You are not to undermine that, ever.  You are not raising this child - we are."  Then go on with activity, and ignore any attempt to engage - simply repeat "we have our rules - you don't get to change them."
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14323 on: January 02, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »

2 Thoughts
1. Did IT have workdays during shut down time and could they have been updating things?

2. How deep is the deep cleaning. Our custodians actually move the presentation station (AKA Teacher computer) and student stations to wax the floors/clean the carpets. THey turn the computers on after they plug everything back into the wall. Also until this year the head custodian had to log on in the library or on a classroom computer because they required them to use e-mail but didn't give them a computer.

I just found out why.

Two days before we left, IT set all computers to automatically boot every night at midnight so they could run updates.

Even over the holiday break. So, for 12 days, the computer ran for no good reason. And I have had nothing but problems with some of the updates.

Your tax dollars at work!

turtleIScream

« Reply #14324 on: January 02, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »
We are leaving for a 5 day trip tomorrow. Last night, I asked my daughter (13) to start on her laundry so we would have time to get all the loads done. She forgot last night, so I reminded her on my way out at 8:30 this morning. When I got home at 5:40 this evening, she was just starting her second load. I have no idea what setting she used, because her first load is still going in the dryer. I will now have to stay up past midnight to get all my stuff washed.