Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1707154 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14355 on: January 06, 2014, 11:40:15 AM »
HATED "The Desolation of Smaug" - ruined my day entirely.  The world of Tolkien is wondrous and beautifully laid out.    Jackson has butchered it and keeps reanimating the smelly corpse...over and over.  Dude - you've already DONE "Lord of the Rings" - stop trying to make "The Hobbit" the same!  Twit.

I cannot respect anyone who breaks my First Rule of Book to Movie Adaptations: Adding Romantic Subplots where there was never a Romantic Subplot before.

I'm imagining J.R.R. Tolkien turning in his grave, over someone bringing "soppy love stuff" into The Hobbit.

Actually, he could write some good romance (tragic, of course) himself. He just viewed The Hobbit and LOTR (at least when he started writing it) as outgrowths of tales for his sons, rather from his "higher" mythos. Therefore, his target audience was not interested in "love and mush".

I mean, this is the man who requested that they carve the word "Luthien" on his wife's gravestone, and "Beren" on his own. That's pretty romantic stuff.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #14356 on: January 06, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
I think that maybe I'm going to hate my new satnav. I've only had it on for a short trip I could already manage, to see how it differed from my old one, and already I want to slap it. I know that nowadays all the speech is put together from clipped syllables (there's a name for this and I can't remember it) but... would it have been too much of a killer to have a few complete words? Mostly she's all RP and then suddenly she's not. She says 'A-f-noooo' for Avenue (and in British English, that's a 'yew' sound anyway), 'Gordon' for 'Garden' and 'Cloze' for 'Close'. Surely the basic street types would have warranted their own recordings? I can't even change the voice because this is the only one that does the new thing about telling you to turn 'at Marks & Spencer' rather than 'at the next junction'.

Oh well. The last one was very funny when we went to Ireland. You could almost hear her take a breath and a run up at places like Magherafelt, and what she made of Dún Laoghaire had to be heard to be believed.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14357 on: January 06, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »
My DH and I had a Garmin. We loved it. It did everything right and was not obnoxious.

It was stolen out of his locked vehicle at work. His boss bought TomTom devices. They are terrible.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14358 on: January 06, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »
Not so much up the wall, but I am wondering if choir is going to be held tonight.  I would call and ask but for not wanting to sound like a big weinie or worry wart. LOL!

But from the forecast it IS supposed to be around -3 by the time rehearsal is over.  If it is held I'm just going to go out to the van before the end of the rehearsal and warm up the van. I suspect I won't be the only one.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14359 on: January 06, 2014, 03:46:57 PM »
But from the forecast it IS supposed to be around -3 by the time rehearsal is over.  If it is held I'm just going to go out to the van before the end of the rehearsal and warm up the van. I suspect I won't be the only one.

I was about to call you a big weinie, until I remembered that -3°F is more like -20°C.  Yeah, that's a little chilly.  (-3°C is more like 27 F so not really that cold.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14360 on: January 06, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »
Okay, correction, as I read my weatherbug wrong.  At 7 it's supposed to be 17 but with the wind chill it will feel like -3F.   Still really cold!  Though the Midwest has us beat, I'll admit. My dear friend is going to be contending with -55F!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #14361 on: January 06, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »
Driving me up a wall -- with a paint roller!

My new landlord is awesome and let me pick out all new paint colors for the new apt AND he bought the paint and had his buddy do the work (and I assume paid him).

The fella did great work EXCEPT in the kitchen, where it seems he barely put up one coat... It's so patchy, I couldn't live with it, so I spent the day rolling over it all (there was 1.5 gallons of the color left, so wasn't bc he ran out.)

It looks much better now... But my hand hurts... I guess I should probably just be grateful bc the other guy did five. rooms, double coats in three at least... I just haaaate painting. Such a whiner, I am, I know.
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Dr. F.

« Reply #14362 on: January 06, 2014, 05:57:01 PM »
The windchill here tonight is supposed to hit -15F (-26C). There are all sorts of warnings out. The Govt is quite likely to be closed tomorrow, for heaven's sake!

My girl dog keeps wanting me to open the back door and leave it open so that she can look outside, without actually GOING out, of course.

Sorry, but it's waaaay to darned cold for that!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14363 on: January 06, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »
Chocolate cupcakes.

I've never been crazy about chocolate.  It's good if it's dark chocolate, or if it has something with it like peanut butter or caramel.  But just chocolate?  Not really my thing.  Know what I love?  Vanilla cupcakes.  Vanilla flavored cake, with vanilla icing and vanilla filling.  There's a regional bakery around here that sells a lot of snack cakes, and let me tell you, they make some tasty cakes.  And you can get any flavor cupcakes you want, as long as they're chocolate.

Well, a few years ago, they introduced vanilla cupcakes.  I. Was. In. Heaven.  All goes well for a while, and then I start seeing them less and less.  For the past six months, I haven't seen any.  This annoyed me to no end.  But, that's not what's driving me up the wall right now.

A few days after Christmas, I noticed that their holiday cupcakes were vanilla cupcakes!  (To be honest, I had given up even looking at their displays.)  So they semi-retired them to make them a Christmas-only snack (thus eliminating them from 90% or so of the calendar).  But, that's not what's driving me up the wall right now.

As I said, I didn't notice this until a few days after Christmas, so my time to take advantage of this bounty was severely limited.  But, that's not what's driving me up the wall right now.

As it was after Christmas, their supply was limited, so I was only able to get two boxes, each with six two-packs of cupcakes.  Twelve packs of two total.  IF I was so inclined (and if I had the willpower!), I could ration myself to one package a month and hope they don't go stale inside their individually wrapped packages.  But, that's not what's driving me up the wall right now.

I woke up the day after we went shopping, and discovered that we apparently have a mouse.  FOUR of the packages (33%!) had bee chewed into, so into the trash they went.  THAT is what's driving me up the wall right now!  The little [REDACTED] could have binged on one whole package and exploded his little Mickey guts all over the place, and I would be up three packs of cupcakes!  But noooo, the little so-and-so had to ruin FOUR packs of cupcakes, that's EIGHT cupcakes (because even though only one had been chewed into, I am not into vanilla cupcakes enough to trust their roommates)!

And, as if to ice this cupcake of FAIL, in the box that I hadn't opened until that point, I discovered that a packaging error had left me with one orphan cupcake chilling in his own package.  GAH!  If I had opened THAT box first, the mouse might have chewed on that one and I'd still be up one cupcake!

Epilogue:  Of course, they're sold out now.    >:(

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14364 on: January 06, 2014, 07:25:37 PM »
Oh Diane...I'm sorry...but that was hilarious :)

Tea Drinker

« Reply #14365 on: January 06, 2014, 07:28:12 PM »
I think that maybe I'm going to hate my new satnav. I've only had it on for a short trip I could already manage, to see how it differed from my old one, and already I want to slap it. I know that nowadays all the speech is put together from clipped syllables (there's a name for this and I can't remember it) but... would it have been too much of a killer to have a few complete words? Mostly she's all RP and then suddenly she's not. She says 'A-f-noooo' for Avenue (and in British English, that's a 'yew' sound anyway), 'Gordon' for 'Garden' and 'Cloze' for 'Close'. Surely the basic street types would have warranted their own recordings? I can't even change the voice because this is the only one that does the new thing about telling you to turn 'at Marks & Spencer' rather than 'at the next junction'.

Oh well. The last one was very funny when we went to Ireland. You could almost hear her take a breath and a run up at places like Magherafelt, and what she made of Dún Laoghaire had to be heard to be believed.

Well, pronouncing Dún Laoghaire is a pretty good "did you do your research?" test; I suspect that satnavs are in crying need of internationalization, so the device has some chance of getting it right when the name is using the Latin alphabet in non-English ways, whether it's Irish, Welsh, Spanish, or Czech.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #14366 on: January 06, 2014, 07:36:06 PM »

Yeah, want to know what's worse?  Who said vanilla cupcakes were Christmassy?  Want a Christmas-themes cupcake?  Gingerbread flavor!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #14367 on: January 07, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »

Yeah, want to know what's worse?  Who said vanilla cupcakes were Christmassy?  Want a Christmas-themes cupcake?  Gingerbread flavor!

The frosting is white and the snow is white... other than that I have no idea.

magicdomino

« Reply #14368 on: January 07, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »

White icing is a great background for red and green decorations.  I have no idea about the vanilla cake part though.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #14369 on: January 07, 2014, 02:40:49 PM »

White icing is a great background for red and green decorations.  I have no idea about the vanilla cake part though.

The white icing would be nice... if they hadn't colored it red instead.  ::Sigh::  I just want my regular vanilla cupcakes back!

And what really stinks is I'm looking for recipes for vanilla flavored cake, and all it does is point me to angel food cake because it uses vanilla extract in the recipe.  Angel food cake is *so bland*, gah.