Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1706811 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14370 on: January 07, 2014, 02:49:41 PM »

The white icing would be nice... if they hadn't colored it red instead.  ::Sigh::  I just want my regular vanilla cupcakes back!

And what really stinks is I'm looking for recipes for vanilla flavored cake, and all it does is point me to angel food cake because it uses vanilla extract in the recipe.  Angel food cake is *so bland*, gah.

http://spoonful.com/recipes/simple-vanilla-cake

This recipe would be easy to halve for experimental purposes. I would just make it, starting out with double the vanilla & take out the amount of milk of the extra vanilla until I got what I wanted. ie: in half a recipe, put in the full tsp of vanilla and take out 1/2 tsp of millk. Plus, you get to eat your mistakes.

(I always add extra vanilla extract to any sweet. Never had a problem.)

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #14371 on: January 07, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »
Might I recommend a nice Madeira cake. This one is extremely delicious and vanilla-y . http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/15645/large-vanilla-madeira-cake.aspx

Driving me up the wall at the moment is: I thought I was all unpacked after the move in December, but I can't find a personal item my Mooncup that I really need right now. The old house was totally stripped bare so I know nothing was left. The only boxes left are ones for books and I don't see any reason for it to be in there. 

Well I had to have one, so I went to Boots and bought a new one. When I opened it at home the box was empty ??? >:( :-\. Went back the next day and all is good now, but still...
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Desdemona

« Reply #14372 on: January 07, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »
I live in a part of the US that is dealing with the worst cold snap in 20 years (I know that really narrows things down). I am so tired of the people who comment on articles about the weather saying something about these temperatures not being a big deal since they have worse temperatures every winter in their part of the world. Of course it isn't a big deal for them! They have the right clothing to handle it. I don't because it's not practical to stock up on things for a problem I won't have to worry about for another few decades. It just gets so smug and annoying.

Plus windchills in the -50s/40s are just cold no matter how often you have to deal with them and there are always problems when places get to those kinds of temperatures so stop implying we are all too pathetic for being concerned.

exitzero

« Reply #14373 on: January 07, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »
Might I recommend a nice Madeira cake. This one is extremely delicious and vanilla-y . http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/15645/large-vanilla-madeira-cake.aspx

Driving me up the wall at the moment is: I thought I was all unpacked after the move in December, but I can't find a personal item my Mooncup that I really need right now. The old house was totally stripped bare so I know nothing was left. The only boxes left are ones for books and I don't see any reason for it to be in there. 

Well I had to have one, so I went to Boots and bought a new one. When I opened it at home the box was empty ??? >:( :-\. Went back the next day and all is good now, but still...
I feel your pain. I spent weeks looking for a kitchen clock after a move. I finally gave up and bought a new one. Found the old one months later, in the closet, inside a pocketbook. Seriously.

Snooks

« Reply #14374 on: January 07, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »
I live in a part of the US that is dealing with the worst cold snap in 20 years (I know that really narrows things down). I am so tired of the people who comment on articles about the weather saying something about these temperatures not being a big deal since they have worse temperatures every winter in their part of the world. Of course it isn't a big deal for them! They have the right clothing to handle it. I don't because it's not practical to stock up on things for a problem I won't have to worry about for another few decades. It just gets so smug and annoying.

Plus windchills in the -50s/40s are just cold no matter how often you have to deal with them and there are always problems when places get to those kinds of temperatures so stop implying we are all too pathetic for being concerned.

It's like when newspapers run articles saying "Isn't it crazy we can't deal with this weather when it's so minimal compared to what xyz gets every year".  Exactly, they get it every year.  It's not worth the investment in infrastructure to cope with something that lasts for three days every three years.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14375 on: January 07, 2014, 06:44:33 PM »

It's like when newspapers run articles saying "Isn't it crazy we can't deal with this weather when it's so minimal compared to what xyz gets every year".  Exactly, they get it every year.  It's not worth the investment in infrastructure to cope with something that lasts for three days every three years.

On the opposite side, it sometimes drives me up a wall when people who don't experience the temperatures that Minnesota does act like surviving our winters take a direct miracle from whatever Deity you name.  "Ermagherd!" people exclaim, "How do you live like that?  Do you ever go outside?  I'd die if you made me live there!".  The state has the infrastructure in place to deal with the snow and ice.  Nobody is forcing anyone to live here, so the protestations about how terrible it is and how glad they are they don't live here, get a little old and tired after a bit.  I happen to like living here, even if I don't like the -40 windchill. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14376 on: January 07, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »

The white icing would be nice... if they hadn't colored it red instead.  ::Sigh::  I just want my regular vanilla cupcakes back!

And what really stinks is I'm looking for recipes for vanilla flavored cake, and all it does is point me to angel food cake because it uses vanilla extract in the recipe.  Angel food cake is *so bland*, gah.

http://spoonful.com/recipes/simple-vanilla-cake

This recipe would be easy to halve for experimental purposes. I would just make it, starting out with double the vanilla & take out the amount of milk of the extra vanilla until I got what I wanted. ie: in half a recipe, put in the full tsp of vanilla and take out 1/2 tsp of millk. Plus, you get to eat your mistakes.

(I always add extra vanilla extract to any sweet. Never had a problem.)

If you want vanilla cake, you need to look for butter cake recipes.  That is what most vanilla cupcakes are made from, IME.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14377 on: January 07, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »

We are in northern Illinois, so we have temperatures -10 degrees every couple of years, and this windchill of -53 is a little difficult, but all we are getting is no school, no trash & recycling pickup for a couple of days (New Year's Eve party debris!), and people just hunkering down. Oh, broken pipes. I feel so awful for the people in the south who just aren't used to this. Many are losing crops for this spring (which is a nuesence to us), houses aren't insulated for the kind of cold they are getting (we just throw on an extra sweater), and they are not used to the snow and ice, so many more auto accidents are happening. This is a once in 20 years event for us, hard, but managable.

We need the reminders of frostbite and watching out for our animals and the homeless, so I don't mind that.

I get tired of hearing our townspeople whining, too. Put it into prospective! It's tough, we know it happens, but many are getting once a lifetime or once a century stuff!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14378 on: January 07, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
...aaaaand this is what I love about eHell.  We have the most awesome support system.  ;D

Desdemona

« Reply #14379 on: January 07, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »

On the opposite side, it sometimes drives me up a wall when people who don't experience the temperatures that Minnesota does act like surviving our winters take a direct miracle from whatever Deity you name.  "Ermagherd!" people exclaim, "How do you live like that?  Do you ever go outside?  I'd die if you made me live there!".  The state has the infrastructure in place to deal with the snow and ice.  Nobody is forcing anyone to live here, so the protestations about how terrible it is and how glad they are they don't live here, get a little old and tired after a bit.  I happen to like living here, even if I don't like the -40 windchill.

I'm from Wisconsin and I've heard all that too! I like our normal winter cold but what we have right now is a little more cold than I am used to in southern Wisconsin. Everywhere has it's problems at times but so much to make up for the problems the rest of the time.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #14380 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:58 PM »
Having to fix the microwave turntable all the time, whenever I nuke something, it never fails, a minute into the cooking, the dingdangity turntable will move off kilter and start clanging, so I have to open the door, take the food out, put the turntable back where it should be, return food, turn microwave back on, lather rinse repeat! It kept doing that to me tonight, I was about to throw the microwave off the balcony, it was driving me batpoo crazy!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14381 on: January 07, 2014, 07:44:12 PM »
Having to fix the microwave turntable all the time, whenever I nuke something, it never fails, a minute into the cooking, the dingdangity turntable will move off kilter and start clanging, so I have to open the door, take the food out, put the turntable back where it should be, return food, turn microwave back on, lather rinse repeat! It kept doing that to me tonight, I was about to throw the microwave off the balcony, it was driving me batpoo crazy!

If your microwave is the type that has a ring underneath the glass, try cleaning the little wheels on that ring.  Mine was doing the same thing.  I cleaned the little wheels and it stopped doing it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #14382 on: January 07, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »

I'm from Wisconsin and I've heard all that too! I like our normal winter cold but what we have right now is a little more cold than I am used to in southern Wisconsin. Everywhere has it's problems at times but so much to make up for the problems the rest of the time.

I'm in Florida and I kid you not, we had an almost 50 degree temperture swing yesterday.  It was mid 70s, then it was in the 40s by the time work let out, and the overnight low was in the upper 20s/low 30s I believe.  This morning it was hovering around 30 F or so .  While that's not super cold and I've lived in much colder climates, for someone who has never experienced that, they were pretty freaking miserable.  Our normal temp around this time of the year is probably in the 60s/70s range...some years are warmer, some are cooler, but usually not this cold.

No one here really has any winter gear, many people don't even own heavier clothes...it mostly jeans, t-shirts, shorts, and such.  There are many people I know that looked at me like I was a crazy person when I mentioned "layering".  They had no idea what I was talking about when I said I had layered my clothes.  I was comfortable, but many of my fellow CWs spent the day freezing because they are simply ill prepared for this type of weather.

Do you have any idea how many people's cars would not start this morning because their engines froze?  They didn't know you had to put antifreeze in your radiator...many had just water and a few had watered down antifreeze.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14383 on: January 07, 2014, 08:20:16 PM »
High here yesterday was 60 degrees... today the high was 14.  That should be illegal.  :P

Allyson

« Reply #14384 on: January 07, 2014, 11:29:06 PM »
This might not actually be new, but I've noticed a lot lately. Some writers I follow online have this habit of adding unnecessary question marks? I feel like it's supposed to mean something but I don't really understand what?

It's a confusing writing affectation I am not really sure what it represents! It doesn't seem to be anything to do with asking a question. Maybe expressing mild uncertainty. Not really sure.