Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1738209 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14385 on: January 08, 2014, 12:20:56 AM »
Here ya go, Allyson!

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115726/period-our-simplest-punctuation-mark-has-become-sign-anger

I think people use the question mark to soften their declarative statement (so as not to seem so pushy), and to indicate that they're inviting a response (even if not an answer).

Carotte

« Reply #14386 on: January 08, 2014, 06:03:22 AM »
Small wall but sizeable irk of the "this is not how social conventions go" type.
Turns out I am not invited to the cineclub evening my SO was invited to, by someone he knows sightly better than me.
There's a lot of exceptions to the social unit of a couple, guys/girls night out, things between colleagues, one parent wanting to catch up with his son. And just plain stating it upfront "I only have room for one more for X activity that you like, do you want to come?".

Saying "do you want to come to X activity night next Friday" to one half of the established couple without mentioning the other half will mean that they'll think both were invited.
Worst is that at first I reluctantly said yes since my SO wanted to go, but now I'm ticked that I wasn't invited, and I'm selfishly thinking that it's crummy of my SO to go without me.
If he goes or not has not yet been established, we didn't have a real chance of talking about it. I did say that it bothered me and that "what am I supposed to do alone on a friday night?"

Bethczar

« Reply #14387 on: January 08, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »
I live in a part of the US that is dealing with the worst cold snap in 20 years (I know that really narrows things down). I am so tired of the people who comment on articles about the weather saying something about these temperatures not being a big deal since they have worse temperatures every winter in their part of the world. Of course it isn't a big deal for them! They have the right clothing to handle it. I don't because it's not practical to stock up on things for a problem I won't have to worry about for another few decades. It just gets so smug and annoying.

Plus windchills in the -50s/40s are just cold no matter how often you have to deal with them and there are always problems when places get to those kinds of temperatures so stop implying we are all too pathetic for being concerned.
I was listening to the BBC yesterday morning. They invited listeners from the US to call/ tweet them about their current weather. Some guy in Florida tweeted, "Why are you even discussing this? It's not news."

No? Then why are flights and trains cancelled? Why are schools shut down? Yes, this has happened before (at least where I live) and it will again, but it's affecting millions of people and can't just be ignored. I just wanted to kick that guy, he really got under my skin.

carol1412

« Reply #14388 on: January 08, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »
Yes it's news, but you don't have to report on it every five minutes!
10:00am "It's sooooo cold out!"
10:05am "Yep, it's still cold!"
10:15am "Can you believe it? Still cold!"

Same with snow storms. If I'm staying home from work because it's too cold or snowy to get out of my driveway, I want to watch trash TV that I don't otherwise get to see. So stop reporting on how many degrees we've dropped or how many more inches of snow fell in the last half hour.  ::)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #14389 on: January 08, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
Working hard on a fanfic, and getting views but no reviews.  Then again, I'm really bad at leaving reviews myself, sooo...Thing is, until I get at least one single review, I'm going crazy wondering if my story stinks.  Ah well.

jilly

« Reply #14390 on: January 08, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »
This could also be in Professional Darwinism but it's annoying me more than anything.

My skiving co-worker who is signed off work on sick leave for sciatica was today, during what would have been working hours, down the pub with friends. I know this as during a late lunch break I met up with a mutual friend who he had sent a text explaining why she needed to drive when they went to the cinema tonight.

This is driving me up the wall as I have spent the last few days sorting out all his paperwork problems, some of which are his fault others not, as it may have been the subject of a customer audit.

This is the same co-worker that drove the wrong way round a new and oddly shaped (a long oval not round) roundabout apparently not seeing the many large road signs (actual attempted Darwinism)

Cherry91

« Reply #14391 on: January 08, 2014, 05:27:54 PM »
People who have a fairly long period of time to complete a task (say, a month), leave it until the last possible minute (usually the day before the deadline) and then call you panicked for some reason, and if you can't solve the problem, then it's your fault in spite of them having had a month to complete the task.

We have a deadline coming up next week on the Wednesday. This week has been almost silent, but everyone in the office knows that the start of next week is going to be full of people trying to find a way that it's our fault they procrastinated so long.

KimberlyM

« Reply #14392 on: January 08, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
This could also be in Professional Darwinism but it's annoying me more than anything.

My skiving co-worker who is signed off work on sick leave for sciatica was today, during what would have been working hours, down the pub with friends. I know this as during a late lunch break I met up with a mutual friend who he had sent a text explaining why she needed to drive when they went to the cinema tonight.

This is driving me up the wall as I have spent the last few days sorting out all his paperwork problems, some of which are his fault others not, as it may have been the subject of a customer audit.

This is the same co-worker that drove the wrong way round a new and oddly shaped (a long oval not round) roundabout apparently not seeing the many large road signs (actual attempted Darwinism)

I have a coworker who frequently calls in sick and then posts pictures of herself at bars and/or restaurants with her friends.  Several of us now assume when she calls in, it's the "bottle flu" Seriously irritating.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14393 on: January 08, 2014, 05:45:35 PM »
In the deed freeze here, people have called the post office to complain that their mail is late! Unbelievable!

Our city trucks wouldn't start, so Monday and Tuesday the trash was not picked up, and yesterday and today they are finishing the roads. We use the same trucks for both tasks, and we  know people need to drive and the trash isn't going to go bad and attract vermin, so people seem to be understanding, thank goodness.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14394 on: January 08, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
In the deed freeze here, people have called the post office to complain that their mail is late! Unbelievable!

Our city trucks wouldn't start, so Monday and Tuesday the trash was not picked up, and yesterday and today they are finishing the roads. We use the same trucks for both tasks, and we  know people need to drive and the trash isn't going to go bad and attract vermin, so people seem to be understanding, thank goodness.

My garbage and recycle always gets picked up before I get home from work.  Last week, it was about -30 C on the morning of garbage day.  When I got home, all my stuff was still sitting there.  My garbage got picked up about 6:30 pm, recycle didn't get picked up.  I did call the next day to make sure we were still on the schedule to be picked up that day.  I felt badly for the guys on the trucks - I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant couple of days for them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hillia

« Reply #14395 on: January 08, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
The bad weather deniers make me appreciate my company.  While I do not live in an area affected by the recent weather, our home office is getting hit hard.  The offices are not closed, but people are allowed to work from home if they ask to, and one person was told to take a weather day because he rides 2 busses to get to work, and his supervisor didn't think it was safe for him to be hanging out at bus stops, especially since many bus routes are running late.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cabbageweevil

« Reply #14396 on: January 08, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »
HATED "The Desolation of Smaug" - ruined my day entirely.  The world of Tolkien is wondrous and beautifully laid out.    Jackson has butchered it and keeps reanimating the smelly corpse...over and over.  Dude - you've already DONE "Lord of the Rings" - stop trying to make "The Hobbit" the same!  Twit.

I cannot respect anyone who breaks my First Rule of Book to Movie Adaptations: Adding Romantic Subplots where there was never a Romantic Subplot before.

I'm imagining J.R.R. Tolkien turning in his grave, over someone bringing "soppy love stuff" into The Hobbit.

Actually, he could write some good romance (tragic, of course) himself. He just viewed The Hobbit and LOTR (at least when he started writing it) as outgrowths of tales for his sons, rather from his "higher" mythos. Therefore, his target audience was not interested in "love and mush".

I mean, this is the man who requested that they carve the word "Luthien" on his wife's gravestone, and "Beren" on his own. That's pretty romantic stuff.

I seek to have "blanked" on this thread for a couple of days; have just noticed your response, Twik.  Concur, that JRRT was no stranger to the tender passion.  It's just that -- as you intimate -- The Hobbit has always been for me, very much a jolly / thrilling romp for kids (tending overall, I think, to the tastes of boys more than of girls). Such a target audience would indeed have felt disdain toward, and been turned-off by, grown-up lovey-dovey twaddle.

Find I must conclude that I'm one of those tiresome pedants who are simply unable to "do" film adaptations of classic works of fantasy.  No matter how hard I've tried to be fair and make allowances; I can't recall ever seeing one of such, which didn't strike me as a  -- greater or lesser -- travesty of the book.

daen

« Reply #14397 on: January 08, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
HATED "The Desolation of Smaug" - ruined my day entirely.  The world of Tolkien is wondrous and beautifully laid out.    Jackson has butchered it and keeps reanimating the smelly corpse...over and over.  Dude - you've already DONE "Lord of the Rings" - stop trying to make "The Hobbit" the same!  Twit.

I cannot respect anyone who breaks my First Rule of Book to Movie Adaptations: Adding Romantic Subplots where there was never a Romantic Subplot before.

I'm imagining J.R.R. Tolkien turning in his grave, over someone bringing "soppy love stuff" into The Hobbit.

Actually, he could write some good romance (tragic, of course) himself. He just viewed The Hobbit and LOTR (at least when he started writing it) as outgrowths of tales for his sons, rather from his "higher" mythos. Therefore, his target audience was not interested in "love and mush".

I mean, this is the man who requested that they carve the word "Luthien" on his wife's gravestone, and "Beren" on his own. That's pretty romantic stuff.

I seek to have "blanked" on this thread for a couple of days; have just noticed your response, Twik.  Concur, that JRRT was no stranger to the tender passion.  It's just that -- as you intimate -- The Hobbit has always been for me, very much a jolly / thrilling romp for kids (tending overall, I think, to the tastes of boys more than of girls). Such a target audience would indeed have felt disdain toward, and been turned-off by, grown-up lovey-dovey twaddle.

Find I must conclude that I'm one of those tiresome pedants who are simply unable to "do" film adaptations of classic works of fantasy.  No matter how hard I've tried to be fair and make allowances; I can't recall ever seeing one of such, which didn't strike me as a  -- greater or lesser -- travesty of the book.

Cabbageweevil, I know of  a Tshirt you might appreciate...
http://www.unshelved.com/store/Shirts/BookWasBetter

I have at times considered getting one for myself.

lilfox

« Reply #14398 on: January 08, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »
My own brain, with its short term memory limitations and tendency to procrastinate.  I closed a personal bank account over three months ago, taking the proceeds as a cashier's check.  I actually forgot about the check for about two months afterwards (had a baby, dealt with holidays). Then I procrastinated until yesterday on opening a new account at a different bank, planning to use the check to kick off the account.

In the category of "adults should know this" and a PSA to those of you who don't, cashier's checks expire.  It's printed clearly right on the check.  In particular, mine expired 90 days after issued.  90 days was two weeks ago.  D'oh!

Fortunately, they can also be reissued from the original bank quite easily, but man, that was a heart stopper thinking I had just lost a significant chunk of my saving because I was lazy and careless.

WishUponAStar

« Reply #14399 on: January 08, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »
I've been doing some research and prefer to handwrite a  lot of it out (personal preference) before putting my conclusions into digital format. I did a whole chunk of research, finished the subject matter, and despite thinking I've kept it all together, a few pages are missing. I have had absolutely no luck finding the missing pieces. I haven't been able to find them in my apartment or at my places of employment (I have three) where I often do sidework in my spare time. It's driving me crazy! Short of someone throwing it away (which I can't see from any of my coworkers), I can't imagine how I managed to misplace it. I can redo the missing pieces but it still is driving me up the wall that I managed to lose it in the first place. Perhaps it ended up in the realm of the missing socks.