Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1559548 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14535 on: January 16, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »

I wish people didn't feel the need to be so bloody rude and dismissive about things they don't care for.
Or its corollary, people who actually become insulted if you don't like the things that they do.

MIL did this to me once.  We were visiting, and she was watching some inane comedy show she enjoyed.  I was either reading or working on some sort of craft project, not paying attention to the show, and MIL demanded to know why I wasn't laughing.  And she just would NOT let it drop, even when I tried politely to beandip.  Not liking the same things she did meant that I thought she was stupid and childish.  ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #14536 on: January 16, 2014, 05:17:09 PM »

Or its corollary, people who actually become insulted if you don't like the things that they do.

MIL did this to me once.  We were visiting, and she was watching some inane comedy show she enjoyed.  I was either reading or working on some sort of craft project, not paying attention to the show, and MIL demanded to know why I wasn't laughing.  And she just would NOT let it drop, even when I tried politely to beandip.  Not liking the same things she did meant that I thought she was stupid and childish.  ::)

My friend does this too! When he says he's not interested in something, or doesn't want to do something I suggest, that's it, discussion is expected to end. But when I say I'm not into something, he wants me to justify it, or it's up for debate.

He loves Walking Dead. Me, it's not my thing. I can watch a youtube video where somebody compiles all the zombie kills and sets the whole thing to a funny soundtrack. But I know that there's a lot of things in that show that I would find really disturbing, so I don't watch it. He just can't understand why I'm not into it, or don't want to watch it.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14537 on: January 16, 2014, 05:45:32 PM »

I wish people didn't feel the need to be so bloody rude and dismissive about things they don't care for.

Tell me about it.  I had to say to someone once "There are a half million acceptable foodstuffs in the world; I'm allowed not to like some of them."

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #14538 on: January 17, 2014, 03:06:41 AM »
People who sit on a bus and cough their guts up. Yes, people have colds and coughs but really why the noises? There's a woman in front of me who I swear is going to hack up a lung. The cough is bad enough but the forced noise at the end is making me feel ill. What's the need for that?

Also people who sneeze in a grossly exaggerated manner and don't cover their mouth, forcing a jet spray of germs to fly through the air. Disgusting.  I have a cold and a cough but I also try to keep it to myself.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #14539 on: January 17, 2014, 06:40:09 AM »
In the same vein as Hollanda's post; people who sniff horribly loud. I was watching Duck Dynasty Wednesday night, and Uncle Si was ill with a cold/flu of some sort. I really didn't need to hear him snorting like that.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14540 on: January 17, 2014, 06:43:15 AM »
Ugh, my middle son does that and we're always telling him "Blow your nose!" or just handing him the tissues.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14541 on: January 17, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »
People who sit on a bus and cough their guts up. Yes, people have colds and coughs but really why the noises? There's a woman in front of me who I swear is going to hack up a lung. The cough is bad enough but the forced noise at the end is making me feel ill. What's the need for that?

Also people who sneeze in a grossly exaggerated manner and don't cover their mouth, forcing a jet spray of germs to fly through the air. Disgusting.  I have a cold and a cough but I also try to keep it to myself.

As someone getting over a chest cold, I can only speak for myself.  I can't help those noises.  I cough until I can't any more.  Sometimes it's a short burst, sometimes I feel like I should have produced a child for all the effort I put in.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14542 on: January 17, 2014, 08:19:41 AM »
There was a news article shared on fbook with a video of a guy who did a Riverdance-inspired skating routine, and it said under the video "He is not of Irish heritage-in fact, he's Jewish!"  ::)

Geez, a person can be of Irish heritage AND Jewish at the same time.  Judaism is a religion, not a nationality, folks. I've got two cousins as a matter of fact who are half Irish and Jewish.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14543 on: January 17, 2014, 08:29:15 AM »
Being a Jew can be both a religion and a heritage.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14544 on: January 17, 2014, 08:32:37 AM »
True, but I guess it was just the way they phrased it that bugged me, like a person can't be Irish and Jewish.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #14545 on: January 17, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »

As someone getting over a chest cold, I can only speak for myself.  I can't help those noises.  I cough until I can't any more.  Sometimes it's a short burst, sometimes I feel like I should have produced a child for all the effort I put in.

I have frequent chest infections too, but I don't make that awful, awful noise at the end of every. Single. Cough. These are not noises one produces naturally (and I produce some horrific noises during and after an infection!), it's really hard to explain.  It's a forced exaggeration, almost as if to say "I'm dyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiing, take notice of me!!!"  I have compassion  for people who really are that ill but for whatever reason still need to leave the house, eg hospital appointments or whatever; I don't want it to seem like I am not sympathetic at all to anyone who has a cough.  That is not the case at all.  It's the blatant attention seekers, the over-coughers, the big sneezers and the sniffers that get me. 
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Dr. F.

« Reply #14546 on: January 17, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »
When I purchase something, in this case, an icing set that has a tube with tips and a trigger-like thing. I use it and then try to put it back in the original box for storage.

Will it fit? No, of course not. I spent about 15 minutes trying to get that dratted thing back in the box. I had to settle for more-or-less in the box. Grrrr!

Shalamar

« Reply #14547 on: January 17, 2014, 11:25:51 AM »
I had a friend who got hurt and offended when I said that I didn't like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  He took it as a personal insult, somehow.  When I said "I have a different opinion from you, that's all," he looked even more hurt and said "You didn't have to say it like that!"   ::)

This is the same guy who informed me that I was wrong when I said that I liked Superbad, because "women don't like that kind of movie."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14548 on: January 17, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »
I have made enemies because I didn't enjoy Sideways.

Their loss.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #14549 on: January 17, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »
My brain.  I can convince myself into a bad mood by obsessing over something, and it's usually something trivial.  While I do have a short time to find a dress, it's not like I have a week and have to make a decision now.  However, the fact that I have not found anything I "loved" immediately today has put me in a bad mood because I'm convinced I will never find the right dress.  Shut up, brain!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.