Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1822768 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14880 on: February 16, 2014, 09:54:12 PM »
Understood, but I just don't think it's very nice to post how you're annoyed about something that most people can't change.  Accents and dialects are often core to a person's identity.  So it just sits wrong with me to see someone say it drive's them up a wall AKA annoyed about something that most people have a hard time changing and are often ridiculed or treated differently because of it.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14881 on: February 16, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »
When members post without reading the entire thread.

Often something has been mentioned or a problem solved and someone chirps up like is new information.

When threads start repeating themselves, I'm out of there, and kind of sad because I was having such a good time.

Hillia

« Reply #14882 on: February 16, 2014, 11:55:21 PM »
When members post without reading the entire thread.

Often something has been mentioned or a problem solved and someone chirps up like is new information.

When threads start repeating themselves, I'm out of there, and kind of sad because I was having such a good time.

Oh yes...the OP will say "I know I'm not allergic because I've been tested for that specific allergy" and every 5 or 6 replies, someone will say,"Get tested for allergies!"  or similar.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #14883 on: February 17, 2014, 06:07:28 AM »
Southern accents. I know there are people on the boards from the south. But I find them grating and at times impossible to understand. My husband got me to watch True Detective last night and I think I might have liked it better if I could understand what they were saying.

That's not very nice and seems to paint a wide swath of this country with a very narrow brush

If a person can't understand an accent, s/he can't understand it. I'm from the South, and I'm not offended by people finding my accent hard to understand, especially if they're from another country and don't have a lot of experience with that accent.

Katana, if you can turn on subtitles on your TV, it might help you enjoy the show better. I have to do that with many shows and movies, because I have hearing issues and don't want to blast the TV so loud that I make my problems worse.
I wish we could turn on the subtitles, but we can't. Thanks for the suggestion.

And sometimes it is about how someone speaks that I find grating. I can't watch The Closer or Saving Grace, the way the main characters speaks just irritates my ears. But it may not have anything to do with the accent and is probably just me, I have a few strange things about noises and there's one shop that DH and I go in a lot where I can't stand the PA system as it's so loud and jolting.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:19:04 AM by Katana_Geldar »

123sandy

« Reply #14884 on: February 17, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »
We went out for dinner on Friday. The people at the table behind us had pulled their chairs out and then perched themselves on the edge so it was difficult to get to our table (we put the kids to that side, a 12 year old and a 14 year old, the 14 year old is as skinny as a rail, seriously, I've seen more meat on a butchers pencil). Finally we asked them if they could move their chairs in so we could get into our seats, you'd think we'd asked if we could spit in their dinner. Slowly they inched their chairs back till the kids were squashed up against the table.

Then we had to go through the whole palaver again when one child wanted to go to the loo...

marcel

« Reply #14885 on: February 17, 2014, 08:45:49 AM »
A few single friends that publicly moped about Valentine's Day, herefore referred to as VD.

They actually posted a status that said they wished they could stay in bed until Sunday, then used the "lonely" emoticon. One of them posted multiple times how much it bothers her. I didn't do it, but I think next time I will send her a private message that she could just stay off social media for the day. I do that quite often when something bugs me (like election day).

DH wrote something negative in the card he gave me last night. He has been informed that I would rather have no card.  >:(
All these valentine's posts make me want to mention something I learned last friday which should be a more international valentine's tradition.

I was visiting an Estonian friend, and she told me how she had just been sending e-mails to her friends. ApparentlyValentine's day in Estonia is also celebrated as a friends day, where people try to catch up with and/or give something to their friends and all the people they love, not just their partner. I like that idea, because it turns the holiday from a couples holiday in a holiday for everybody.

For people who really feel left out of Valentine's day as a single person, start spreading the idea of this Estonian valentine's day next year.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14886 on: February 17, 2014, 09:36:31 AM »
Mohair sets me off too.

Mohair makes my eyes itch as well as my skin.  It also triggers my asthma.  I don't go full blown attack mode, but get very wheezy.  Still I have yahoos that think that it's a natural fiber, therefore, you cant be allergic to it.

*blink* I suppose they don't believe in peanut, shellfish, or bee sting allergies either, since peanuts, shellfish, and bees are natural?

I've been told it's impossible to be allergic to anything natural.  ;D I wish someone would inform the ragweed.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #14887 on: February 17, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »
Google maps and transit directions used to be so much better.  Why on earth did they change this?

nayberry

« Reply #14888 on: February 17, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »
Southern accents. I know there are people on the boards from the south. But I find them grating and at times impossible to understand. My husband got me to watch True Detective last night and I think I might have liked it better if I could understand what they were saying.

That's not very nice and seems to paint a wide swath of this country with a very narrow brush

If a person can't understand an accent, s/he can't understand it. I'm from the South, and I'm not offended by people finding my accent hard to understand, especially if they're from another country and don't have a lot of experience with that accent.

Katana, if you can turn on subtitles on your TV, it might help you enjoy the show better. I have to do that with many shows and movies, because I have hearing issues and don't want to blast the TV so loud that I make my problems worse.

And sometimes it is about how someone speaks that I find grating. I can't watch The Closer or Saving Grace, the way the main characters speaks just irritates my ears. But it may not have anything to do with the accent and is probably just me, I have a few strange things about noises and there's one shop that DH and I go in a lot where I can't stand the PA system as it's so loud and jolting.

there's a presenter on UK tv that i can't stand, i like the program if it's not them narrating but their voice grates on me!!  and i have friends with similar accents so its not that, just something about that voice....

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #14889 on: February 17, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »
Mohair sets me off too.

Mohair makes my eyes itch as well as my skin.  It also triggers my asthma.  I don't go full blown attack mode, but get very wheezy.  Still I have yahoos that think that it's a natural fiber, therefore, you cant be allergic to it.

*blink* I suppose they don't believe in peanut, shellfish, or bee sting allergies either, since peanuts, shellfish, and bees are natural?

I've been told it's impossible to be allergic to anything natural.  ;D I wish someone would inform the ragweed.

And shrimp, coconut, chives, wine, beer, or champagne. Well, a case could be made for the last three that they're man-made creations and therefore not "natural", but they're part of my sulfite allergy, which is a naturally occurring compound. But honestly I'm more likely to have people telling me that I must be allergic to all seafood since I'm allergic to shrimp. Uh, I'm not allergic because it's seafood...

Vita brevis, ars longa

BarensMom

« Reply #14890 on: February 17, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »
People who decide to grind their axe to a total stranger.

Story:  I already belong to one Meetup crafting group. Looking to expand my knowledge base/network, I decided to join another in the same general area.  When the organizer (Abe) introduced himself to me, he casually (I thought) asked if I belonged to any other groups.  I mentioned the other group in the area.  He immediately went into a loud tirade against that group's organizer (Bea) in front of other members and patrons of the restaurant.  I had innocently stumbled upon an intense rivalry between these two groups.  I made my excuses after an hour and left, never to return.  I was so dismayed by his vitriol and wild accusations, that when I next attended my original group, I took Bea aside and told her of his accusations.  She told me that he had tried to stage a "coup" of the original group, and when that failed, he started his own group and had been bad-mouthing her ever since.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:28:55 AM by BarensMom »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14891 on: February 17, 2014, 10:24:14 AM »
So mature! I am glad you got out of there.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #14892 on: February 17, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »

there's a presenter on UK tv that i can't stand, i like the program if it's not them narrating but their voice grates on me!!  and i have friends with similar accents so its not that, just something about that voice....

I absolutely cannot stand Eamonn Holmes.  I usually love the Irish accent in a man, but him? He makes my skin crawl.  I've heard things that suggest he's not a particularly nice person, but not having met him, I can't comment either way! I just really dislike him!!!!!!!!!!  >:(
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

nayberry

« Reply #14893 on: February 17, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »
^^  he's another one!  i'd forgotten about him as i so rarely watch anything he's on :)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #14894 on: February 17, 2014, 01:01:01 PM »
My mother-in-law sucks her teeth noisily. 
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.