Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1734978 times)

Snooks

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #14895 on: February 17, 2014, 01:03:52 PM »
My dad trying to use social media. He has loads of junk email addresses but doesn't use them with any consistency so hell sign up to a site using one then again with another sometimes swearing blind he never signed up in the first place and has no idea why the app is on his phone/iPad. Basically he doesn't read anything and just clicks so he spams his contacts with invitations to connect with him on sites he's already joined and connected with him on. He won't listen if I try to tell him and I cringe at the thought of what all his contacts think of him.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14896 on: February 17, 2014, 02:38:48 PM »
Whispering.  I can't understand it, most times, which is why I always hated that telephone game as a kid.  Maybe my hearing's not all that great to begin with but all I'd hear was "pst pst pst pst pst pst buzzwhisp!" and the person would get annoyed at me when I couldn't understand even one word of what they were saying and had to keep asking what they said. Finally someone would demand I just pass on what I think I heard, though the problem was that I'd barely understood a thing! 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14897 on: February 17, 2014, 02:57:53 PM »
Ohh, memories of struggling to play that game then getting blamed for the bizarre turn the message took.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14898 on: February 17, 2014, 04:04:25 PM »
Easiest way to get excluded from having to play it anymore.  Depending on how much you ca get away with, either accuse the whisperer of saying something lewd or profane, or "repeat" that lewd/profane thing yourself.  ;D

turtleIScream

« Reply #14899 on: February 17, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
Advice that completely ignores the reality of the problem. Example: someone sees a counselor/or writes to an advice columnist/posts on an Internet forum that they are having trouble making friends. They join common interest groups, try to get involved at church or school, extend invitations, but nothing ever progresses beyond casual acquaintances. Without fail, the advice says that maybe the person is unconsciously giving negative social cues, and they should ask a few trusted friends for honest feedback. Methinks if they had a few trusted friends, they wouldn't be asking how to make friends!

diesel_darlin

« Reply #14900 on: February 17, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »
People come into the gas station where I work and either whisper, or talk really low. Then when I ask them to repeat themselves they speak really loud and really slow.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14901 on: February 17, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »
I have a few strange things about noises and there's one shop that DH and I go in a lot where I can't stand the PA system as it's so loud and jolting.
Dear gods and little fishes, YES!  Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many women on a PA will pitch their voices higher than normal, and it comes out as a horrendous ear-shredding shriek.   And for some reason, I'm always right under a speaker at the time.  :'(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #14902 on: February 17, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »
Whispering.  I can't understand it, most times, which is why I always hated that telephone game as a kid.  Maybe my hearing's not all that great to begin with but all I'd hear was "pst pst pst pst pst pst buzzwhisp!" and the person would get annoyed at me when I couldn't understand even one word of what they were saying and had to keep asking what they said. Finally someone would demand I just pass on what I think I heard, though the problem was that I'd barely understood a thing!

Oh, how I hate whispering. In my case my hearing is really good, which is perhaps part of why it annoys the living [blank] out of me. Most of all, though, it's distracting and irritating - like having a fly buzzing around your head.

Naturally, I sit right next to someone at work who whispers to herself nonstop all day. She's  the same one I posted about the other day who swallows abnormally loudly. And those are only two of her many very grating habits.  :-\
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

magicdomino

« Reply #14903 on: February 17, 2014, 07:49:07 PM »
Ohh, memories of struggling to play that game then getting blamed for the bizarre turn the message took.

I thought the point of the game was the bizarre turns that the messages take.   ???

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14904 on: February 17, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
While driving home today, I noticed a car whose driver was having some issues maintaining their lane. I ended up next to the driver to realize they had a sun shield on their driver's window (not allowed in my state), had the visor down and had their hand to block the sun. I'm not sure what the issue was, but it was early enough that the sun was not directly near the horizon.

This is the kind of side window shade the car had. https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2UMVzZ3RLcaMVOe4h1Kt9yXVWiMSZQeucYM-l9qdm3eFio9ru

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14905 on: February 17, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »
While driving home today, I noticed a car whose driver was having some issues maintaining their lane. I ended up next to the driver to realize they had a sun shield on their driver's window (not allowed in my state), had the visor down and had their hand to block the sun. I'm not sure what the issue was, but it was early enough that the sun was not directly near the horizon.

This is the kind of side window shade the car had. https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2UMVzZ3RLcaMVOe4h1Kt9yXVWiMSZQeucYM-l9qdm3eFio9ru

They have these really cool newfangled things called sunglasses.  Some of them even have special coatings to prevent glare :D

gmatoy

« Reply #14906 on: February 17, 2014, 09:19:17 PM »
Mohair sets me off too.

Mohair makes my eyes itch as well as my skin.  It also triggers my asthma.  I don't go full blown attack mode, but get very wheezy.  Still I have yahoos that think that it's a natural fiber, therefore, you cant be allergic to it.

*blink* I suppose they don't believe in peanut, shellfish, or bee sting allergies either, since peanuts, shellfish, and bees are natural?

I've been told it's impossible to be allergic to anything natural.  ;D I wish someone would inform the ragweed.

I am allergic to: wool, fur, eggs, shellfish, fish, aspirin and pineapple. Wish it wasn't possible to be allergic to anything natural; it would almost cover everything except a few other medicines.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14907 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:20 PM »

They have these really cool newfangled things called sunglasses.  Some of them even have special coatings to prevent glare :D
The driver may have been fighting off a migraine, and even with sunglasses etc. the glare was too much.  I remember one time when I drove my kids home from the movies with my left eye completely closed and  my right eye cracked open just enough to keep myself on the road.  Abrupt environment change triggered that migraine -- a dark movie theater chilled to arctic temperatures and coming straight out through the emergency exit doors into a hot bright July afternoon.  Fortunately it was only a little over a mile and if I'd seen a cop, I would have flagged him down and asked for help.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14908 on: February 17, 2014, 09:51:46 PM »
That is one of my pet peeves though, when the sun is setting and it's low enough that you can't block it out with the visor and it makes it hard to see. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14909 on: February 17, 2014, 11:16:06 PM »

The driver may have been fighting off a migraine, and even with sunglasses etc. the glare was too much.  I remember one time when I drove my kids home from the movies with my left eye completely closed and  my right eye cracked open just enough to keep myself on the road.  Abrupt environment change triggered that migraine -- a dark movie theater chilled to arctic temperatures and coming straight out through the emergency exit doors into a hot bright July afternoon.  Fortunately it was only a little over a mile and if I'd seen a cop, I would have flagged him down and asked for help.

I suffer from severe migraines so I get it.  However, I do not drive when I have photo and aural reactions.  Especially not light sensitivities.  I'm already half blind and migraines just make it worse. 

So IF the driver was suffering, they are the ultimate SS because they are putting not only themselves in danger but also everyone else on the road with them.