Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1786775 times)

Jloreli

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15015 on: February 21, 2014, 03:55:38 PM »
The phrase "so to speak". It just makes my neck crawl.

People who knock on my office door, are invited in, take care of what they came in for, then leave my door wide open behind them. Grrrrrrr I have it closed for a reason and I don't want to have to get up and close it since you just waltzed through it!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #15016 on: February 24, 2014, 09:07:20 AM »
When stuff breaks.  I have an unncessary button in my psyche that makes me react with the ferocity of a bear with toothache. I. Hate. It.  Especially when it is something a) small that costs next to nothing to replace b) it's something that we use all the time and c) It is too late to actually do something about it, such as buy another one.

Over the weekend, DH has broken:

Kitchen scissors
Kitchen tongs
Tin opener x2 (yes, I replaced it, yes he broke the replacement).  Plastic spatula.  We have 2. Well, we had 2.  He then went and dropped the other one down the side of the cooker. I managed to retrieve it and it is now soaking in the sink.

I won't let him near the washing machine, cooker, grill or microwave.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15017 on: February 24, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »
When people blow things out of proportion, especially when it is a work task, assigned by supervisors and someone takes it personally and has the grown adult version of a tantrum.

Even better, when they send an emotional email out after being told not to!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15018 on: February 24, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »
On that note, the fact that most people treat e-mail less seriously than snail mail on stationery, whether it's typed or hand-written.  Sloppy spelling, grammar, and punctuation.   ::)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #15019 on: February 24, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
Small annoyance but it does bug me sometimes. Posts that use the abbreviations for US states instead of spelling them out. I can figure out a few of the obvious ones - New York, New
Jersey, California, Florida, for example.  I'm not sure I ever learned to the names of all 50 states, let alone the abbreviations. Haven't noticed it with other countries - maybe because most forum members are US and it's assumed knowledge. Figure a state's been mentioned because it's relevant to a post. Often wish posters would take pity of those of us who live elsewhere and spell it out once before abbreviating.

Going back a few days, to this one -- I too am not in the States; while I feel that my US geography is not too bad, I have a similar problem with the abbreviations.  As Psychopoesie says, some are obvious, or can be worked out from context; others, not so much so. I feel that you US folk have altogether too many states that begin with M ! -- also, I cannot for the life of me remember whether AK is Alaska or Arkansas, or what is the abbreviation for the other of those two.  Can any kind person set me right on this last point?  There's got to be some memory-aid which can be devised re this particular "headache"...

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #15020 on: February 24, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »
What bugs me today is how if I leave a cupboard door unclosed, I WILL hit my head on it. No matter what I am doing. It's like there is a magnetic force between the pointy corner on the door, and my skull.

I have significant airspace at head height which is NOT filled with solid objects. Why can I not manage to find it?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #15021 on: February 24, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »
Small annoyance but it does bug me sometimes. Posts that use the abbreviations for US states instead of spelling them out. I can figure out a few of the obvious ones - New York, New
Jersey, California, Florida, for example.  I'm not sure I ever learned to the names of all 50 states, let alone the abbreviations. Haven't noticed it with other countries - maybe because most forum members are US and it's assumed knowledge. Figure a state's been mentioned because it's relevant to a post. Often wish posters would take pity of those of us who live elsewhere and spell it out once before abbreviating.

Going back a few days, to this one -- I too am not in the States; while I feel that my US geography is not too bad, I have a similar problem with the abbreviations.  As Psychopoesie says, some are obvious, or can be worked out from context; others, not so much so. I feel that you US folk have altogether too many states that begin with M ! -- also, I cannot for the life of me remember whether AK is Alaska or Arkansas, or what is the abbreviation for the other of those two.  Can any kind person set me right on this last point?  There's got to be some memory-aid which can be devised re this particular "headache"...
http://www.50states.com/abbreviations.htm#.UwtzBIVnjW4
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

perpetua

« Reply #15022 on: February 24, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »
What bugs me today is how if I leave a cupboard door unclosed, I WILL hit my head on it. No matter what I am doing. It's like there is a magnetic force between the pointy corner on the door, and my skull.

I have significant airspace at head height which is NOT filled with solid objects. Why can I not manage to find it?

*nods knowingly*

I have similar issues with the airspace at shin height which is not filled with coffee tables. Somehow, though...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15023 on: February 24, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »
If it makes the non-US ehellions feel better, this Marylander (MD) has a hard time with some state initials as well.  Most I know but others I sometimes have to look up.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #15024 on: February 24, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
If it makes the non-US ehellions feel better, this Marylander (MD) has a hard time with some state initials as well.  Most I know but others I sometimes have to look up.

I just wish we had to do the older abbreviations for states - Ark. for Arkansas, Tenn. for Tennessee, and so on - on mail, and so on. It would make things a lot easier to understand.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

cabbageweevil

« Reply #15025 on: February 24, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »

http://www.50states.com/abbreviations.htm#.UwtzBIVnjW4

BD: many thanks. Eight "M's" -- that's just too much ! -- especially since I sometimes get extra-confused by Manitoba, though a moment's reflection usually clarifies, that that one is in the US's neighbour to the north.

The pestiferous "A's": I being one for whom the sillier the memory-aid is, the more memorable it is -- dealing with the problem, looked at as follows.

Alabama (AL): think of the daft joke by Groucho Marx, about the city of TUSCALOOSA (prominent "L"), in that state: "When hunting elephants in Africa, I always have dreadful trouble getting their tusks out; but in Alabama, Tuscaloosa."

Alaska (AK): an inhabitant of Alaska might perhaps paddle around the shores of his state in a KAYAK.

Arizona (AZ): obvious, with the only incidence of the relatively uncommon letter Z.

Arkansas (AR): lies alongside the biggest RIVER in North America.

Latest posts -- glad to learn that some US citizens sometimes struggle, also !

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15026 on: February 24, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »
Pushy people.  Yesterday at church a new person sat next to me after the service and started pushing instantly to have a girl's day out, didn't I want to have some girl time? Nice earrings, you know she makes jewelry, she could make anything, don't I want to go shopping? Her "friend" could watch the baby (meanwhile said "Friend" is shaking his head which she's fully ignoring) She never asked for money but they kept pushing for me to meet them in the park and she kept pushing for me to go out shopping, which I kept turning down. 

They kept leaning in and while I wasn't fully cornered, I couldn't help but feel claustrophobic.

Thankfully the little guy took that opportunity to run across the hall and I was able to get up and say "Sorry, gatta go catch the kid!" While I was away from them, another woman who had been helping out with the church's free meal the day before warned me that this couple had been telling different stories to different folks and asking for either money or rides. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Allyson

« Reply #15027 on: February 24, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »
Sort of along the same lines as people who think you can't be smart if you don't read for fun (which annoys me also)--people who think you have to enjoy music on a "deep" level. They say things like "music is my life!" and make fun of people who only really listen to music on their ipod on the bus, or (gasp!) the radio.

perpetua

« Reply #15028 on: February 24, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »
Sort of along the same lines as people who think you can't be smart if you don't read for fun (which annoys me also)--people who think you have to enjoy music on a "deep" level. They say things like "music is my life!" and make fun of people who only really listen to music on their ipod on the bus, or (gasp!) the radio.

Yep. I hate music snobs, and I'm a musician. Music really is my life, but I still have the Spice Girls and Katy Perry on my iPod and thoroughly enjoy them too!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #15029 on: February 24, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »

How about people who "don't hear the lyrics" and find it weird that the lyrics are what identifies a song for you?