Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1783905 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15045 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:04 AM »
In a word: bureaucracy.

Let's say my name is Mary Sue Balfour. Apparently when registering for grad school on some form my name got switched to "Mary Balfour Balfour." Now the registrar's office cannot be convinced that that is not my name. We have a go round every academic term where they say my tuition hasn't been paid, when it turns out that Mary Balfour Balfour's tuition hasn't been paid, but Mary Sue Balfour (who has the same ID number, birthday, address and phone number) has paid her tuition.

Every quarter, they request that I provide either A) a copy of the court document where I legally changed my name from Mary Balfour Balfour to Mary Sue Balfour or B) two pictures IDs; one with my "old name," Mary Balfour Balfour, and one with my "new name," Mary Sue Balfour. However since my name never was legally Mary Balfour Balfour, I can't provide any legal documentation that my name was changed to Mary Sue. Eventually some supervisor sighs and agrees to credit Mary Sue Balfour's tuition to Mary Balfour Balfour's tuition but I really need to fill out the legal paperwork.

Unfortunately this office releases the tax document that shows how much tuition I've paid during the year. This time I came armed with that and showed that all the information from the university's W-2 under the name "Mary Sue" was the same for "Mary Balfour." The supervisor visibly recoiled and said she couldn't look at anything with a social security number on it!

And no, it makes absolutely no difference to them that there is only one Balfour (much less a Mary Balfour) associated with the university and according to all the other systems, including payroll, HR and IT, her middle name is Sue, not Balfour.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15046 on: February 25, 2014, 08:28:04 AM »
Please do not power off or unplug your computer.  Installing Update 1 of 253.

Don't you love how this happens just when you're in a hurry?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15047 on: February 25, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »

Let's say my name is Mary Sue Balfour. Apparently when registering for grad school on some form my name got switched to "Mary Balfour Balfour." Now the registrar's office cannot be convinced that that is not my name. We have a go round every academic term where they say my tuition hasn't been paid, when it turns out that Mary Balfour Balfour's tuition hasn't been paid, but Mary Sue Balfour (who has the same ID number, birthday, address and phone number) has paid her tuition.

Every quarter, they request that I provide either A) a copy of the court document where I legally changed my name from Mary Balfour Balfour to Mary Sue Balfour or B) two pictures IDs; one with my "old name," Mary Balfour Balfour, and one with my "new name," Mary Sue Balfour. However since my name never was legally Mary Balfour Balfour, I can't provide any legal documentation that my name was changed to Mary Sue. Eventually some supervisor sighs and agrees to credit Mary Sue Balfour's tuition to Mary Balfour Balfour's tuition but I really need to fill out the legal paperwork.

Unfortunately this office releases the tax document that shows how much tuition I've paid during the year. This time I came armed with that and showed that all the information from the university's W-2 under the name "Mary Sue" was the same for "Mary Balfour." The supervisor visibly recoiled and said she couldn't look at anything with a social security number on it!

And no, it makes absolutely no difference to them that there is only one Balfour (much less a Mary Balfour) associated with the university and according to all the other systems, including payroll, HR and IT, her middle name is Sue, not Balfour.

Ask them (the registrar's office) to merge the two files. We have to do that all the time.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15048 on: February 25, 2014, 08:54:17 AM »

Recently that happened to me and I really had no choice. When I came back three days later, powered up, and computer picked up where it left off. I couldn't use the computer for anything else until it finished, but at least I found out I can power off to no ill effect. I guess it really does mean 'Please, but you have a choice here.'

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15049 on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »

Ya gatta wonder about some folks, sometimes, and how they manage with mindsets like those.

At one point when DH was in the service we applied for an account at the bank and it was a bank that deals a lot with military so they should have had a good amount of knowledge re: military IDs.  Dh and I went prepared with forms of ID, just as the website had instructed for anyone wanting to open an account. Only, the woman INSISTED on seeing our marriage liscense.  In order to get a dependent spouse ID you have to show the folks at the ID office your marriage license. Can't get one if you don't.

Yet this woman required us to go home and get the license.  ::) Once she left the branch, another woman told us it wasn't personal, she did it to everyone.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15050 on: February 25, 2014, 10:09:18 AM »

Recently that happened to me and I really had no choice. When I came back three days later, powered up, and computer picked up where it left off. I couldn't use the computer for anything else until it finished, but at least I found out I can power off to no ill effect. I guess it really does mean 'Please, but you have a choice here.'

That is good to know.  However, I wish it would give us a choice about when these "updates" happen.  Like being able to defer it to log-on time later if you don't have time for it now.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15051 on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »
You can change the settings for Windows update to either download updates then ask for approval before installing or to ask approval before downloading then installing.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15052 on: February 25, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »
I have a Kindle but I also have print books and they do have their use.  I like to read when taking baths but am too nervous to use my Kindle then so the print books come in handy that way.

Ziploc bag  ;)

Yup. i do it all the time, and its fabulous!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #15053 on: February 25, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
DH's health insurance company.  When his company changed providers he had to provide proof that he and I were married.  Okay, no problem.  We provided a copy of our marriage license and all was good.

Now he has to verify it again.  Why he has to do this again when nothing has changed cannot be explained.  Alright, annoying, but we'll provide another copy of the marriage license.  Wait, that can't be used because you used it already.  Huh?  Provider says they must have a different document that proves we're married.  Seriously, nothing has changed.

I could see if we had divorced, but my marriage license isn't able to be used more than once to prove we're married?!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #15054 on: February 25, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
DH's health insurance company.  When his company changed providers he had to provide proof that he and I were married.  Okay, no problem.  We provided a copy of our marriage license and all was good.

Now he has to verify it again.  Why he has to do this again when nothing has changed cannot be explained.  Alright, annoying, but we'll provide another copy of the marriage license.  Wait, that can't be used because you used it already.  Huh?  Provider says they must have a different document that proves we're married.  Seriously, nothing has changed.

I could see if we had divorced, but my marriage license isn't able to be used more than once to prove we're married?!

My husband's company requires an information update like this *every* year.  It's a pain.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #15055 on: February 25, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »

That makes my head hurt. What other official proof is there that one is married, besides a marriage license?

Somewhere along the line someone is thinking it's like pieces of ID.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15056 on: February 25, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »

If you're not allowed to use the same document twice, what happens when you've been married umpteen years and run out of documents?

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #15057 on: February 25, 2014, 10:36:35 AM »

If you're not allowed to use the same document twice, what happens when you've been married umpteen years and run out of documents?

Blood oath from the minister that married you.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15058 on: February 25, 2014, 10:41:33 AM »
Do you have a psychic? Ours was elderly when he married us 16 years ago and has passed since.

Carotte

« Reply #15059 on: February 25, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
What others documents exist anyway to prove that?

This reminds me of a swimmingpool I went to.
I'm unemployed, I'm registered at the unemployment office but I don't collect anything because I don't qualify to collect anything. The only reason I registered is because there are some perks, like free or reduced entry to museums and most swimming pools, you only have to show them a paper and an up to date confirmation that you are still registered.
One of the swimming pool wanted my proof of getting X finantial aid for this month. But I don't get X, (remember I don't anything, it's not like I could have showed Y or Z proof either), and no they're not going to send me a letter every month to tell me I still don't have X (they don't even know me since I don't qualify with them)  ::).
The lady wouldn't bulge, other swimming pools accept the paper that says I'm still registered as of this month.