News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 11:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5490785 times)

Hillia

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15000 on: March 04, 2014, 10:06:55 AM »
This reminds me of a conversation with DH's cousin, who kept insisting that Albert Speer wrote Inside the Third Ritch.

jaxsue

« Reply #15001 on: March 04, 2014, 10:17:08 AM »
This reminds me of a conversation with DH's cousin, who kept insisting that Albert Speer wrote Inside the Third Ritch.

Arghhhhh!  :o

zinzin

« Reply #15002 on: March 04, 2014, 03:23:16 PM »

How it's Made is a Canadian show - they are pronouncing those the way many Canadians do. Although I have to say I've never heard the l pronounced in "solder" even in the US.

I wince when people say "niche" as "nitch" or "clique" as "click" but I've learned to accept that it is how it's said in many parts of the US.

...so how do you pronounce those?  Not sure if it will change my pronunciation, but I'd at least know what it ought to be.  I now just avoid the word 'forte' since I learned that 'x-skill is not my forte' should be pronounced 'fort' - but the rest of the world knows it as for-tay, like in music, so I look wrong when I pronounce it correctly...

Presumably that depends where you are too? I'm in the UK, and I pronounce niche as 'neesh' and clique as 'cleek', French style in both cases, but over here, forte is always 2 syllables, I think. I've never heard anybody say 'that's not my fort'.

Bad enough having people say 'click' for 'clique, but I've seen it written as well. Makes me shudder.

Yeppers, I'm used to "neesh" (rhymes with "sheesh") and "cleek" in a french manner.

------

« Reply #15003 on: March 04, 2014, 03:37:13 PM »

How it's Made is a Canadian show - they are pronouncing those the way many Canadians do. Although I have to say I've never heard the l pronounced in "solder" even in the US.

I wince when people say "niche" as "nitch" or "clique" as "click" but I've learned to accept that it is how it's said in many parts of the US.

I have the same trouble with the word "foyer".

I'm from the west coast, and I've always heard it pronounced "foy-yay". Now that I live on the east coast, everyone I run into seems to say "foy-yer."

It hurts my ears.

...so how do you pronounce those?  Not sure if it will change my pronunciation, but I'd at least know what it ought to be.  I now just avoid the word 'forte' since I learned that 'x-skill is not my forte' should be pronounced 'fort' - but the rest of the world knows it as for-tay, like in music, so I look wrong when I pronounce it correctly...

Presumably that depends where you are too? I'm in the UK, and I pronounce niche as 'neesh' and clique as 'cleek', French style in both cases, but over here, forte is always 2 syllables, I think. I've never heard anybody say 'that's not my fort'.

Bad enough having people say 'click' for 'clique, but I've seen it written as well. Makes me shudder.

Yeppers, I'm used to "neesh" (rhymes with "sheesh") and "cleek" in a french manner.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #15004 on: March 04, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
Another word that bugs me is "suite". It's "sweet". I'd only ever heard it that way until I lived in the south for a while, and kept hearing talk about "bedroom suits" (That's how it was pronounced.)  I looked it up once and apparently when talking about bedroom furnishings, saying "Suite" as "suit" is also considered correct. Still bugs me though! http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/suite

Yet further confusing the heck out of matters, just for fun or to annoy  – a “multilingual confusion / pupil’s howler”  thing, which I remember from school.  In French class:  the French phrase “Une longue suite d’années passées”:  meaning  “A long sequence of years that have gone by”.  Interpreted by a not very talented pupil, as:  “A lounge suit [“smart-casual” apparel]  that has seen better days”.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #15005 on: March 05, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »

Same here - and I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona in the US.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #15006 on: March 05, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »
Setting up DirecTV Genie boxes... >:( At least customer service was polite and helpful, but good grief!
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

PastryGoddess

« Reply #15007 on: March 05, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »
Setting up DirecTV Genie boxes... >:( At least customer service was polite and helpful, but good grief!

Why didn't the technician do it for your?  I just got 4 of them and the tech stayed until they were all set up and working properly

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #15008 on: March 05, 2014, 05:46:46 PM »
Capricious weather. I dressed for rain, no rain. I don't dress for rain, it rains!
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Ser Lucien Liliane

• My tumblr
« Reply #15009 on: March 05, 2014, 06:32:10 PM »

Why didn't the technician do it for your?  I just got 4 of them and the tech stayed until they were all set up and working properly

We didn't have a tech out; we got them to install ourselves. Dad was going to do it, but as he's very prone to cursing and getting extremely angry, Mom had me do it for him. I'm not sure whether I'm happy that I saved Dad the aggravation, or just plain irritated...

PastryGoddess

« Reply #15010 on: March 05, 2014, 08:03:28 PM »

We didn't have a tech out; we got them to install ourselves. Dad was going to do it, but as he's very prone to cursing and getting extremely angry, Mom had me do it for him. I'm not sure whether I'm happy that I saved Dad the aggravation, or just plain irritated...

Oh gotcha.  Yeah I had a bad experience with Comcast several years ago when installing my own equipment.  So now when we upgrade or have equipment issues, then I have them come and do it.  Plus w/ Directv all of our tech calls have been free

Ser Lucien Liliane

• My tumblr
« Reply #15011 on: March 05, 2014, 08:09:14 PM »

Oh gotcha.  Yeah I had a bad experience with Comcast several years ago when installing my own equipment.  So now when we upgrade or have equipment issues, then I have them come and do it.  Plus w/ Directv all of our tech calls have been free

Honestly, I can't say I'm displeased with DirecTV. :) We're really liking the Genie, and customer support has been nothing but helpful and friendly. It's just not easy to get set up!

HenrysMom

« Reply #15012 on: March 06, 2014, 12:18:11 AM »
Capricious weather. I dressed for rain, no rain. I don't dress for rain, it rains!

Holy monkey of crud, who just turned on the faucet?  I came home from knitting group two hours ago and the weather was partly cloudy.  Now it's raining cats and dogs and every last one is howling.

But, hey, we need it, so who's complaining?

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #15013 on: March 06, 2014, 05:28:07 AM »
Not so much drives me up the wall as it makes me mad. 

I saw yesterday and today the story on fbook about the New Jersey girl suing her parents after moving out of their house cause she didn't want to live by their rules.   The radio station I listen to shared the story this morning and 3/4 of the comments (I really shouldn't look) are saying if she'd had her rear end beat more often, she'd be better behaved. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #15014 on: March 06, 2014, 06:09:36 AM »
On the topic of words.  The way foyer is pronounced on all my American programming bothers me greatly.  I think it should be pronounced as a French word, since it is.  The saying of "Foy-yer" bugs me to no end.  If you don't want to pronounce it as a French word I think why don't just use a different word like landing or entrance way instead of Anglicizing a French word.  You don't have to have to be a francophone to say Foy-yay as it is a pretty easy word to say without an accent.

Languages change and evolve all the time and English seems to be particularily adept at it.  English is almost dizzying good at it. We happily took in buffet as in 'the wind buffeted the ship' and buffet as in 'take Aunt Gertrude to the Sunday buffet please; she loves the dessert selection' and cheerfully ignore the fact that they're pronounced differently.  Both are French,  by the way.
Nothing to see here.