Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1783928 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15180 on: March 05, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »
Capricious weather. I dressed for rain, no rain. I don't dress for rain, it rains!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #15181 on: March 05, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »
Setting up DirecTV Genie boxes... >:( At least customer service was polite and helpful, but good grief!

Why didn't the technician do it for your?  I just got 4 of them and the tech stayed until they were all set up and working properly

We didn't have a tech out; we got them to install ourselves. Dad was going to do it, but as he's very prone to cursing and getting extremely angry, Mom had me do it for him. I'm not sure whether I'm happy that I saved Dad the aggravation, or just plain irritated...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #15182 on: March 05, 2014, 09:03:28 PM »
Setting up DirecTV Genie boxes... >:( At least customer service was polite and helpful, but good grief!

Why didn't the technician do it for your?  I just got 4 of them and the tech stayed until they were all set up and working properly

We didn't have a tech out; we got them to install ourselves. Dad was going to do it, but as he's very prone to cursing and getting extremely angry, Mom had me do it for him. I'm not sure whether I'm happy that I saved Dad the aggravation, or just plain irritated...

Oh gotcha.  Yeah I had a bad experience with Comcast several years ago when installing my own equipment.  So now when we upgrade or have equipment issues, then I have them come and do it.  Plus w/ Directv all of our tech calls have been free

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #15183 on: March 05, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »

Oh gotcha.  Yeah I had a bad experience with Comcast several years ago when installing my own equipment.  So now when we upgrade or have equipment issues, then I have them come and do it.  Plus w/ Directv all of our tech calls have been free

Honestly, I can't say I'm displeased with DirecTV. :) We're really liking the Genie, and customer support has been nothing but helpful and friendly. It's just not easy to get set up!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

BarensMom

« Reply #15184 on: March 06, 2014, 01:18:11 AM »
Capricious weather. I dressed for rain, no rain. I don't dress for rain, it rains!

Holy monkey of crud, who just turned on the faucet?  I came home from knitting group two hours ago and the weather was partly cloudy.  Now it's raining cats and dogs and every last one is howling.

But, hey, we need it, so who's complaining?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15185 on: March 06, 2014, 06:28:07 AM »
Not so much drives me up the wall as it makes me mad. 

I saw yesterday and today the story on fbook about the New Jersey girl suing her parents after moving out of their house cause she didn't want to live by their rules.   The radio station I listen to shared the story this morning and 3/4 of the comments (I really shouldn't look) are saying if she'd had her rear end beat more often, she'd be better behaved. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #15186 on: March 06, 2014, 07:09:36 AM »
On the topic of words.  The way foyer is pronounced on all my American programming bothers me greatly.  I think it should be pronounced as a French word, since it is.  The saying of "Foy-yer" bugs me to no end.  If you don't want to pronounce it as a French word I think why don't just use a different word like landing or entrance way instead of Anglicizing a French word.  You don't have to have to be a francophone to say Foy-yay as it is a pretty easy word to say without an accent.

Languages change and evolve all the time and English seems to be particularily adept at it.  English is almost dizzying good at it. We happily took in buffet as in 'the wind buffeted the ship' and buffet as in 'take Aunt Gertrude to the Sunday buffet please; she loves the dessert selection' and cheerfully ignore the fact that they're pronounced differently.  Both are French,  by the way.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15187 on: March 06, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »

I saw yesterday and today the story on fbook about the New Jersey girl suing her parents after moving out of their house cause she didn't want to live by their rules.   The radio station I listen to shared the story this morning and 3/4 of the comments (I really shouldn't look) are saying if she'd had her rear end beat more often, she'd be better behaved.

People have very disparate opinions on child rearing and discipline. I am anti-spanking, so I disagree with them, but as we have seen on this site, that is a very controversial topic.

She lost, and kept this from becoming a wave of teenage gimme pigs demanding all the benefits of living at home without having to abide by the rules.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15188 on: March 06, 2014, 08:41:34 AM »

People have very disparate opinions on child rearing and discipline. I am anti-spanking, so I disagree with them, but as we have seen on this site, that is a very controversial topic.

She lost, and kept this from becoming a wave of teenage gimme pigs demanding all the benefits of living at home without having to abide by the rules.

I saw that she lost, and oddly, while I'm not a spanker, it's not so much people saying "She deserves a spanking" that would bother me.  It's when people say a child is going to get their *alternate word for donkey* whooped.  Perhaps that needs to go in the thread for words/phrases that bother us.  I really, really hate that phrase.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #15189 on: March 06, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »

I saw that she lost, and oddly, while I'm not a spanker, it's not so much people saying "She deserves a spanking" that would bother me.  It's when people say a child is going to get their *alternate word for donkey* whooped.  Perhaps that needs to go in the thread for words/phrases that bother us.  I really, really hate that phrase.

Add to that people that speak of "beating" their child.  It's one of the reasons I do not find Bill Cosby to be funny.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15190 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:22 AM »
I find some of his bits to be funny, but in watching "Himself" recently I found myself not even cracking a smile at some parts of it.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #15191 on: March 06, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
The Daily Express front page news.

It is usually:

The weather*
Missing girl Madalaine McCann**
Princess Diana***

* The weather - for the past four months we've been warned of horrific storms bringing rain, hailstones the size of footballs and snow.  We've had pictures of 20ft high waves (exaggeration) and more warnings of worse to come.  And now this week we're being "warned" that "SOME parts of the UK may experience 20 degree weather". So? It's 20 degrees not 30.  yes, it's considerably warm for the time of year but that still does not warrant sensationalist headlines.

**In no way am I downplaying whatever has happened to this poor little girl.  But really, two or three times weekly to basically relay the same story with few new facts? What is the point?!

***She's dead.  Leave her alone.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15192 on: March 06, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »
When someone fills out a declaration card with false information! It's all connected, people.

You applied saying you attended W college, then complete a card saying you are transferring from V college. I check, and email you, to see before adding V college to your record, which would require you to provide V college transcripts and change your admission status.

The email bounces!

I call the prospective student, who lives on the W college campus, and is just thinking about going to V college. I also requested a valid email address. Sheesh.  >:(

cabbageweevil

« Reply #15193 on: March 06, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »
The Daily Express front page news.

It is usually:

The weather*
Missing girl Madalaine McCann**
Princess Diana***

* The weather - for the past four months we've been warned of horrific storms bringing rain, hailstones the size of footballs and snow.  We've had pictures of 20ft high waves (exaggeration) and more warnings of worse to come.  And now this week we're being "warned" that "SOME parts of the UK may experience 20 degree weather". So? It's 20 degrees not 30.  yes, it's considerably warm for the time of year but that still does not warrant sensationalist headlines.

**In no way am I downplaying whatever has happened to this poor little girl.  But really, two or three times weekly to basically relay the same story with few new facts? What is the point?!

***She's dead.  Leave her alone.

Points taken; but in comparison with the sheer nastiness of a couple of this journal's British-daily competitors, I tend to find rather soothing, the very inanity of the things that the "Express" tends to obsess about.

There comes to mind, in a kind-of-related way, a feature a long time ago in the British comical magazine Punch, titled "a newspaper for newspaper addicts" -- basically a mock-up of the front page of a tabloid newspaper which was fixated on itself and its own doings, rather at the expense of actual news.  The front page was all about the paper's triumph with its highest-ever sales figure for a day, plus assorted oddments all about the paper itself.  In a small box at the bottom of the page, was "Other News" -- in brief "bytes", as follows.  "World War III has broken out between the two superpowers."  "The Queen of England has abdicated in favour of the Stuart claimant to the throne."  And something else pretty earth-shaking, which I forget.  And, "[the -- for that time -- British equivalent of Justin Bieber] is to marry."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #15194 on: March 06, 2014, 02:22:09 PM »
When people get annoyed that I made my lunch how I like it and not how they like it.

I made up some tuna salad for myself to take to work, as I've been brown bagging it lately.  I had a little left over and put it in the fridge, announcing that it was up for grabs.

FIL complained that I put something he didn't like in it.  Well, you know what?  Make your own darn tuna salad then.  I happen to like pickles.