Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1566942 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15225 on: March 10, 2014, 10:44:37 AM »
BG:  As I have reported previously, I had a stroke five weeks ago (details here but the gist is:  I had a stroke, was laid up for two days, found out I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and a low heart rate.  PLEASE, no medical advice, I have numerous people in long white coats helping me in that regard).  I needed a new family doctor, so I got one... and wow, was that a lemon.  The *only* way to get appointments was to call first thing in the morning the day you wanted an appointment and see if the doctor's been booked up by other people doing the same thing.  If so, call back next week, because this doctor only sees patients once a week.  End BG

I fired my PCP after trying repeatedly to get an appointment, and am currently waiting on seeing my new doctor (who has sane appointment policies... I called and checked before I switched.  Fool me once...)  So today I had an appointment at the (I am not making this name up) HEART FAILURE CLINIC for my low heart rate, for this morning.  Seriously?  Not the "Heart Wellness Center" or other, no... let's jump straight to giving you a heart attack by naming the place they prevent them.  Oy.  Okay, so I get there (for my 8:30 AM appointment!) and discover that without a referral from my PCP, all they can do is reschedule me.  So they try to get the new doctor on the phone, and finally at 9:30 they pick up so the HFC can ask if I can get a referral.  Short answer:  No.  Long answer?  Nooooooooooooooo.  Basically, they've never laid eyes on me, so no referral.  Okay, annoying but it's a CYA policy.  (Of course, my low heart rate was diagnosed a block away by this very hospital when I had my stroke, but whatever.)  So now, I have a new appointment.

For May.  MAY.  I go back in two months.  Because my first PCP (the first I've had in two decades, I might add) schedules things according to the time honored method of "call in and pray".  At least I'll have plenty of time to meet the new doctor.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #15226 on: March 10, 2014, 11:27:26 AM »
The BanBossy campaign. Yes, I get what their point is. But no, I'm not going to praise a child for pushing other kids around and pretend it's them showing leadership skills.  ::)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15227 on: March 10, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »
The BanBossy campaign. Yes, I get what their point is. But no, I'm not going to praise a child for pushing other kids around and pretend it's them showing leadership skills.  ::)

Amen on this because there 's a big difference between being a leader and being bossy.  A good leader is willing to consider the opinions of others.  A bossy person isn't. 

Until recently, it seems that 'bossy' was the female equivalent of the male 'bully'.  Now that bully is an equal opportunity epithet, maybe it is time for 'bossy' to go. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #15228 on: March 10, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »

Amen on this because there 's a big difference between being a leader and being bossy.  A good leader is willing to consider the opinions of others.  A bossy person isn't. 

Until recently, it seems that 'bossy' was the female equivalent of the male 'bully'.  Now that bully is an equal opportunity epithet, maybe it is time for 'bossy' to go. 

I've never heard of this. I do regularly have conversations with my students about the difference between being bossy and being a leader. One thing I try to get through to them is a leader makes sure everyone gets heard.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Shalamar

« Reply #15229 on: March 10, 2014, 01:32:19 PM »
My current peeve is the Facebook posts that go something like "I got Voldemort!  Which Harry Potter character are you?"  I seem to see at least a dozen of these a day, and I do not CARE which Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Household cleaning item my friends are!

When someone brings every single conversation around to their children/grandchildren.

Substitute "dog" for "children/grandchildren", and that's my co-worker in a nutshell.  To be perfectly blunt, I find most kid and pet stories boring.  I'm not a fan of dogs, and although I love my cats, I don't feel the need to blather on about their doings. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:45:25 PM by Shalamar »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15230 on: March 10, 2014, 01:46:51 PM »
Sometimes I find these quizzes fun but most times they're annoying as either the answers to the questions are so leading as to pretty much lead you to the desirable answer.  They make me think of the questions in teen magazine quizzes.

Ie: A man asks you out but you're not interested.  You:
1) Tell him to get lost, he's a loser and you're way too good for him.
2) Let him down nicely, no need to scar him for life
3) Go with him anyway cause you're so lonely and desperate you'll go out with anyone. Who needs standards?

Like the right answer isn't obvious.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

gen xer

« Reply #15231 on: March 10, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
Obsessing over something I can't change.

I was rude to a gas station clerk two weeks ago.  I went back in, after pumping my gas, to apologize.  I apologized, acknowledging that I was in the wrong, and she seemed like she accepted it.  I am still obsessing over it and the fact that I don't think apologizing was enough.  The obsessing is driving me crazy.

I hear you!  I had a fabulous foot in mouth moment this morning that I hope I can laugh at later.

I was skiing this morning and ended up seeing my boss on the hill, with his daughter and a male friend of hers.  I thought he was her boyfriend.  Then, coming up the lift, boss saw his other daughter and went over to talk to her.  We headed down the hill.  Boss passed me then another boarder passed me and cut right in front of me, which resulted in spraying me right in the face.  He couldn't have given me more of a face wash if he'd pushed me face first into a snow bank.  So when I got to the bottom of the hill, I skied over to him and chewed him out.  He did apologize but I was pretty steamed.  Then my boss says, 'Outdoor Girl, this is [daughter]'s boyfriend, [name].'  And since I was confused about the other guy, I wasn't very gracious at that point.

He was laughing and he completely understands me being ticked off but oh, how embarrassing.  I departed from their group at that point and went back to skiing on my own.

Hopefully, we'll all be laughing at the office on Monday.

I have another skiing one...except I am fuming over my apologizing when I didn't need to.  I was barely off the lift and hadn't even had a chance to go in any direction when shrewish lady cuts in front and cusses me out with " expletive - coulda told me you weren't turning "....that really got my goat because I am always the one that "goes with the flow" off the lift even when I get herded in a direction I don't want to go ( figuring the few feet I lose are better than having a collision or cutting someone off )

I actually called out sorry and instantly regretted it.  Why was I apologizing when I am the one who got cut off?  I fumed for quite a while, replayed what I wish I had said even as I was telling myself to get over it.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #15232 on: March 10, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
Sometimes I find these quizzes fun but most times they're annoying as either the answers to the questions are so leading as to pretty much lead you to the desirable answer.  They make me think of the questions in teen magazine quizzes.

3) Go with him anyway cause you're so lonely and desperate you'll go out with anyone. Who needs standards?

It's A right? I'm pretty sure it's A.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #15233 on: March 10, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »
And now what's driving me up the wall is all the drama I've been posting lately.  GUH.

Okay, no more drama llama stuff.  :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15234 on: March 10, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »

It's A right? I'm pretty sure it's A.

So long as you don't want to be Anastasia Steele! ;)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #15235 on: March 10, 2014, 11:12:40 PM »
A former coworker one time came in raving about her new WonderBra.  It was so magnificent that every woman should wear one, no other bras ever needed to be sold.  It gave her clevage, etc.......

I looked from her 32A's to my 38D's and said: "If I wore one, I'd suffocate."  >:D

She had truly never considered that some of us have had a few extra whacks from the b00b fairy & don't want or need pushup, padded make the most of what you have bras.

And those of us who are really large, like my 48DDD, would also be blind because our view is being blocked. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #15236 on: March 10, 2014, 11:23:36 PM »
My DH.  We received a wedding invitation from his brother 2 weeks ago.  We cannot make the wedding as we are on a Cruise that has already been booked and paid for.  He still hasn't responded or called his brother!!! I refuse to nag him any more.  ???

I've found that making Mr. Sirius suffer the consequences when he doesn't do what he's supposed to do gets his attention quicker than any amount of nagging.  He's an adult; I shouldn't have to stand over him with a stick to make him do things he knows he should be doing.  With time he's gotten much better about taking care of things that he should be dealing with.   

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #15237 on: March 10, 2014, 11:25:07 PM »
Micromanagers.

Today I was asked to update a document.
The person proceeded to give me detailed instructions what order to put the pages, how to label the pages and so on.

I tried very hard not to have my head explode while I was thinking "The document you want me to update? I developed it. Labeling the pages? I wrote the procedure on it. Pretty sure I know how to do this...

Oy!

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #15238 on: March 10, 2014, 11:47:52 PM »

I've never heard of this. I do regularly have conversations with my students about the difference between being bossy and being a leader. One thing I try to get through to them is a leader makes sure everyone gets heard.

It's a new Girl Scouts campaign. It's supposedly to try and make "bossy" qualities seen as "leadership" qualities. I've had bossy girls in my GS troop (member as a young girl), and trust me, that's not leadership, that's someone who needs to be punished for treating people as lesser-than.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #15239 on: March 11, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
Micromanagers.

Today I was asked to update a document.
The person proceeded to give me detailed instructions what order to put the pages, how to label the pages and so on.

I tried very hard not to have my head explode while I was thinking "The document you want me to update? I developed it. Labeling the pages? I wrote the procedure on it. Pretty sure I know how to do this...

Oy!

Oh, I ran into one of those a while ago.  My work partner has been on leave for a little while and I'm filling in.  One of the people she supports gave me some paperwork to fill out and spent 5 minutes explaining to me how to do it.  It's a very major part of my job and pretty much the same procedure across the board.  I couldn't figure out how to tell her that I was very well versed in this task without sounding rude so I humored her.   But really?  I've worked here for more than a decade and the person knows that.