Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1860627 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15240 on: March 11, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »
When the TV makes only a half-hearted effort to bleep out foul language.  >:( When all they do is bleep out the vowel sounds, leaving "fbleepking" it's no different from leaving the whole thing intact.  >:(   I don't watch programs with that kind of language, but when they run ads for those programs over and over and over, at least once every ad break, it really annoys me.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15241 on: March 11, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
On the subject of micromanagers; my bosses' boss. We get a daily trade press pub, which I look at every day, and hunt down anything that looks interesting, relevant to our business, etc. I work in the telecom industry, but we only are concerned with specific areas, and not so much tv, wireless etc.

She will send "helpful" emails "please include in daily pub" when its something I would normally find and include anyway! Now, if its an area we don't noramlly care about, and you want an item on it included, by all means let me know. But if its sometning I'd normally do, LET ME DO MY JOB as I have been here almost 15 years.

And my other annoyance, is my direct boss, and our temp. Temp is pretty much useless. She has little to no computer skills, which impedes her ability to do waht we need her to do.

And my boss, who thinks certain tasks are no brainers, but reallly take more time and effort. He also, when he gets in it his head how something should go, will not budge, even when told his way isn't quite the right way, or is more involved than HE htinks it is. Today's task is cleaning up a data dump into an Excel spreadsheet. Which he thinks shouldn't take a long time, but it does. I'm about 3/4 of the way done, and aside from a short errand, Its taken me all day.

Temp keeps asking if she can help, but a. its really a one person job since if more than one person messes with this file, it will be royally screwed up, and b. she doesn't have the skills. She was going over a second smaller file, and HAND WRITING what needed to stay in, and come out, since she wasn't "confident in her ability to delete stuff from the Excel file"

ARGH.

nayberry

« Reply #15242 on: March 11, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »
The BanBossy campaign. Yes, I get what their point is. But no, I'm not going to praise a child for pushing other kids around and pretend it's them showing leadership skills.  ::)

Amen on this because there 's a big difference between being a leader and being bossy.  A good leader is willing to consider the opinions of others.  A bossy person isn't. 

Until recently, it seems that 'bossy' was the female equivalent of the male 'bully'.  Now that bully is an equal opportunity epithet, maybe it is time for 'bossy' to go. 

I've never heard of this. I do regularly have conversations with my students about the difference between being bossy and being a leader. One thing I try to get through to them is a leader makes sure everyone gets heard.

It's a new Girl Scouts campaign. It's supposedly to try and make "bossy" qualities seen as "leadership" qualities. I've had bossy girls in my GS troop (member as a young girl), and trust me, that's not leadership, that's someone who needs to be punished for treating people as lesser-than.

its been on the UK news today. 

i get if someone is overstepping boundaries and trying to get others to do things when its not their place.  however, i got called bossy a couple of times in a job, mannnnny years ago.  my response was "and? do as you're supposed to and i won't have to be bossy."  ftr they knew i was in charge and just disliked being told what to do by someone younger than them!

menley

« Reply #15243 on: March 11, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »
People who are completely oblivious to their surroundings.

I was standing with my dog against the wall of a building, a few feet to the side of the door, so that we would be out of the way of both sidewalk traffic and people exiting the door. A woman exited the door but had her head turned to the left and was walking to the right... so she walked straight into me and my dog... and then yelled at us for being in her way. Lady, perhaps you should try looking in the same direction you're walking.

Xandraea

« Reply #15244 on: March 11, 2014, 02:10:10 PM »

I was standing with my dog against the wall of a building, a few feet to the side of the door, so that we would be out of the way of both sidewalk traffic and people exiting the door. A woman exited the door but had her head turned to the left and was walking to the right... so she walked straight into me and my dog... and then yelled at us for being in her way. Lady, perhaps you should try looking in the same direction you're walking.

I'm laughing here, because I was once driving at night, lights on (as more people should do..another up-the-wall for me). I was stopped at an intersection, looking left, as I was going to turn right when the way was clear. I had a stop sign, traffic on the road I was turning onto did not. I had not even begun to move when I heard/felt a *thump* and looked to the right to find a jogger dressed entirely in black had run into my well-lit unmoving silver vehicle. He was angry and cussing me out for being in his way. How he did not see me, I have no idea, but being that he was in all black clothing at night, I'm glad he hit me first, as he would be impossible to see jogging at the side of the dark roadway (Not many streetlights on this portion of the road, and no sidewalk).

Which brings to mind another thing that drives me up the wall: People who go out at night to jog/walk dogs, whatever, and wear dark clothing and no reflectors/lights so they are absolutely invisible!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15245 on: March 11, 2014, 02:14:41 PM »
^ ITA with the dark clothing. There was a young woman on the very busy road this morning, completely in black and she was invisible unless she was directly under a streetlight.

We had a student that was not paying attention, walking in a busy road, at night, and was hit by a car. She didn't make it.  :(

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #15246 on: March 11, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »
A former coworker one time came in raving about her new WonderBra.  It was so magnificent that every woman should wear one, no other bras ever needed to be sold.  It gave her clevage, etc.......

I looked from her 32A's to my 38D's and said: "If I wore one, I'd suffocate."  >:D

She had truly never considered that some of us have had a few extra whacks from the b00b fairy & don't want or need pushup, padded make the most of what you have bras.

And those of us who are really large, like my 48DDD, would also be blind because our view is being blocked.

My mom and aunt went on a rampage one year, of insisting that if you couldn't see your feet, your stomach was too big and you needed to lose weight. I can't see my feet over my boobs, not my stomach...not sure what you want me to do about those...
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

nayberry

« Reply #15247 on: March 11, 2014, 02:36:35 PM »
A former coworker one time came in raving about her new WonderBra.  It was so magnificent that every woman should wear one, no other bras ever needed to be sold.  It gave her clevage, etc.......

I looked from her 32A's to my 38D's and said: "If I wore one, I'd suffocate."  >:D

She had truly never considered that some of us have had a few extra whacks from the b00b fairy & don't want or need pushup, padded make the most of what you have bras.

And those of us who are really large, like my 48DDD, would also be blind because our view is being blocked.

My mom and aunt went on a rampage one year, of insisting that if you couldn't see your feet, your stomach was too big and you needed to lose weight. I can't see my feet over my boobs, not my stomach...not sure what you want me to do about those...

+1 to not seeing feet past boobs,  although i'll wear a wonderbra on occasion ;) gives the gals a gravity defying ooomph!

Alli8098

« Reply #15248 on: March 11, 2014, 04:26:27 PM »
When morning sickness lasts past the first trimester.  I'm 21 weeks and still get nauseous, I'm so done.  :P

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #15249 on: March 11, 2014, 05:18:10 PM »
The BanBossy campaign. Yes, I get what their point is. But no, I'm not going to praise a child for pushing other kids around and pretend it's them showing leadership skills.  ::)

Amen on this because there 's a big difference between being a leader and being bossy.  A good leader is willing to consider the opinions of others.  A bossy person isn't. 

Until recently, it seems that 'bossy' was the female equivalent of the male 'bully'.  Now that bully is an equal opportunity epithet, maybe it is time for 'bossy' to go.

...It's not about letting kids be bullies. It's about preventing girls from being called 'bossy' and shut down when they display genuine leadership skills.

(As with everything else in life, I'm sure some people will do it the wrong way, but that doesn't mean the campaign itself is wrong.)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #15250 on: March 11, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
When the person who filled their tank before me leaves fuel in the nozzle.  There's nothing quite like a shower of Eau de Diesel on your way to work each morning.   ::)

(and it sinks into your skin and it stinks!)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #15251 on: March 11, 2014, 08:17:34 PM »

This one one of my major pet peeves in life. It covers people who
- don't look where they're going,
- stand with their carts in the middle of the aisle in stores,
- somehow don't notice that they're left food smears/crumbs/puddles of liquid on kitchen counters,
- don't notice their kids running amok in public places because they're shopping/reading/whatever,
- talk loudly in quiet areas,

and on and on and on.

I don't understand why more of these people aren't killed in accidents and such. They seem absolutely clueless and unaware of the world around them.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #15252 on: March 12, 2014, 05:27:52 PM »

...It's not about letting kids be bullies. It's about preventing girls from being called 'bossy' and shut down when they display genuine leadership skills.

(As with everything else in life, I'm sure some people will do it the wrong way, but that doesn't mean the campaign itself is wrong.)

While I understand this, I've never heard someone called bossy just for having leadership skills and being assertive, whether male or female. It seems easier and more productive to me to focus on building leadership skills within Girl Scouts instead of just saying, "We need to ban the word bossy!" Honestly, I've been called just about every word in the book at this point in my life, and, while, yes, it hurts at the time, I've had to learn to just not care. If it's true, I'll take it under advisement. If not, I don't care about the opinion of a jerk.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

random numbers

« Reply #15253 on: March 12, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »

While I understand this, I've never heard someone called bossy just for having leadership skills and being assertive, whether male or female. It seems easier and more productive to me to focus on building leadership skills within Girl Scouts instead of just saying, "We need to ban the word bossy!" Honestly, I've been called just about every word in the book at this point in my life, and, while, yes, it hurts at the time, I've had to learn to just not care. If it's true, I'll take it under advisement. If not, I don't care about the opinion of a jerk.

Ha.

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/1973.html

nayberry

« Reply #15254 on: March 12, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »
when i've said, leave the pan i need to use it in 20 minutes, and i come back in just over 20 minutes and its been cleared and put away!!  "but you didn't come back for it/ i didn't hear you say that"  are not acceptable excuses!!! especially when pan-put0away-er was stood next to me when i bleeping said it!!!

then i have to get a different pan out (dishwasher on!!) and thats twice the washing up because they are too impatient!