Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1833616 times)

CrochetFanatic

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15495 on: April 02, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
Getting a little tired of bringing home an audiobook from the library and being unable to listen to it.  The last three skipped so badly that I'm not even sure why the library still keeps them on the shelves.  I know it isn't the CD player, because I tried the disks in several players and they didn't work in any of them.  I gave up telling the people at the library about it.  All they do is say, "Okay, thanks for telling us", and it's back on the shelf the next time I go in. 

I suppose it's possible that they ordered new copies, but...well, if they did, they used the same audiobook cases.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15496 on: April 02, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
It's not that uncommon in some areas really, especially now that some schools are doing what they can to make up for snow days without adding more days onto the end of the year. My kids had the 28th and 29th of this month off but now they have to go into school. 

A friend of mine told me when she was a girl, all they got for Spring Break was Good Friday.  This was the Midwest in the 60's, by the way.  Where I went to school (80's and 90's and even now) the district did week long spring breaks.  Just really depends on the school district.

we used to get not only a winter break (before Washington and Lincoln's bdays were combined into President's Day) but also Good Friday, AND the whole following week.

Shalamar

« Reply #15497 on: April 02, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
Speaking of Facebook-related gripes, I hate it when someone posts something like "Should I watch Broadchurch?  Is it good?", and someone else replies "I don't even know what that is."  Gee, thanks, that was helpful.

(For the record:  yes, Broadchurch was very good.   :))

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15498 on: April 02, 2014, 12:04:12 PM »
I hate when people think there's something wrong with me because I don't watch "very popular but not appealing to me" tv show. I admit; most of what's on doesn't interest me. And, I have very little free time, so not much time even if I was. But its not like I say "oh that show stinks, why on earth would I watch it?" or anything like that. I just say no, I don't watch, don't have time, or don't care for it.
So I'm in the minority, get over it!

I did have to laugh today; one of the local radio stations has a daily contest where they play a line or scene from a tv show or movie, and if you guess correctly, you win a prize.

So I'm from NJ, and today's clip was from The Sopranos, and how many people were upset with the way it ended. The caller got it, but when asked that question, she said "well, i was in the small group of folks who's never seen it!"  HAHAHAHAHA - the Djs were like, oh....

audhs

« Reply #15499 on: April 02, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Right now the fact that my 7 year old can not just walk.  She runs, skips, jumps or rolls everywhere. Driving me crazy.  ;)   Apparently my dh did the exact same thing as a child.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15500 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »
Right now the fact that my 7 year old can not just walk.  She runs, skips, jumps or rolls everywhere. Driving me crazy.  ;)   Apparently my dh did the exact same thing as a child.

My 11 year old sounds like an elephant coming down the stairs. I'm amazed he hasn't fallen down them yet.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15501 on: April 02, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »
My son is 15 and fell coming down our stairs yesterday, bruising his tailbone and had the nerve to be mad at me!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #15502 on: April 02, 2014, 01:05:06 PM »
Speaking of Facebook-related gripes, I hate it when someone posts something like "Should I watch Broadchurch?  Is it good?", and someone else replies "I don't even know what that is."  Gee, thanks, that was helpful.

Me too! You're on the internet: if you (general) don't know what something is, just use the search engine of your choice.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15503 on: April 02, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »

Me too! You're on the internet: if you (general) don't know what something is, just use the search engine of your choice.

And a lot of people use fake-cluelessness to be snide about the whole concept of pop culture. Like if you say "Taylor Swift did such-and such" and they reply "Taylor who?" when they know full well who she is, they're just trying to say "anyone who cares about musical artists is stupid and shallow." Anyone else encountered this? I haaaate it.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #15504 on: April 02, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »

And a lot of people use fake-cluelessness to be snide about the whole concept of pop culture. Like if you say "Taylor Swift did such-and such" and they reply "Taylor who?" when they know full well who she is, they're just trying to say "anyone who cares about musical artists is stupid and shallow." Anyone else encountered this? I haaaate it.

Yes!  All the time!  Even worse, on another forum I visit, people used to do that to RIP-type threads for celebrity deaths.  They were pretty much posting "LOL, who?" and it annoyed me so much.  Fortunately, a few other posters started pretending to take them seriously and replying with detailed explanations (with a strong overtone of "poor, ignorant person who doesn't understand how to use Google"), and the practice mercifully faded out.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #15505 on: April 02, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »

I have that X2.  This winter has been a real challenge to my patience and sanity.  I'll be happy when it's gets nicer and they can do that outside where it's less nerve jangling.

My gripes today:
I left my phone at home and I feel lost.  And that is so pitiful, LOL.  I have successfully lived without one for a long time.  40 years in fact.

Syfygeek

« Reply #15506 on: April 02, 2014, 03:40:38 PM »
When I come home from work and have to clean the kitchen before I can cook, do not offer to help me after I start.

If you really wanted to help me, you would have done it in the 8 or so hours I was at work and you were here playing on the internet and napping. And making more mess.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15507 on: April 02, 2014, 05:53:54 PM »

I have that X2.  This winter has been a real challenge to my patience and sanity.  I'll be happy when it's gets nicer and they can do that outside where it's less nerve jangling.

My gripes today:
I left my phone at home and I feel lost.  And that is so pitiful, LOL.  I have successfully lived without one for a long time.  40 years in fact.

I hear you.  I didn't get my first cell phone till I was in my 20's, and only relatively recently did I jump on the Smartphone bandwagon but oh lordy I feel lost without it!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Allyson

« Reply #15508 on: April 02, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »

Yes! I hate that too! It's kind of like people who make "I hate Justin Bieber/Twilight" comments not because they actually have heard/read it, but because it's a hate bandwagon to jump on.

I think part of what bugs me with the 'I would, but I don't live in your city' thing is that often it seems disingenous...there's one right now, posting for help with moving, and so 12 people lined up to say "I'd be so on board if I were there!" but not one person who actually lives in the city, which makes it seem like.."I like sounding like I would absolutely sign up to help you, because I live in another city and can't be accused of being lazy by not going!"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15509 on: April 02, 2014, 09:50:05 PM »

Yes! I hate that too! It's kind of like people who make "I hate Justin Bieber/Twilight" comments not because they actually have heard/read it, but because it's a hate bandwagon to jump on.

I will say that with Bieber, I don't hate the kid, because that would involve more energy and emotion than I feel like investing in someone I don't know personally but I will say that what I know of the kid, I don't really like.