Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1540350 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15510 on: April 03, 2014, 01:34:05 PM »
I've probably whined about this a couple hundred times but it really chaps my hide when I ask someone for their availability for a meeting, they give me a time they're available, I schedule the meeting and they decline with no explanation.  So now I have the pleasure of chasing that person up to find out what's going on.  If they suddenly have a conflict, I wish they would PLEASE SAY SO.   ARGH!

::deep breath...::

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #15511 on: April 03, 2014, 01:44:07 PM »
I have a double barrelled surname, part of which is close - but not very close - to an old-fashioned and nowadays rather unusual forename. Think Milden and Mildred, or something of that type. My email signature says quite clearly Forename Barrel Milden. It's in red and underlined. On top of that, my email address is actually Barrel.Milden @ emailprovider.co.uk.

So why is it that when I offer something on Freegle (UK Freecycle), about one time in five I'll get a response that starts 'Dear Mildred'? It puts me off - I know it's not reasonable but I automatically move on to the next request for whatever I'm offering because I think the person is flaky and probably won't turn up to collect, if they can't even read and copy my name accurately.

Frog24

« Reply #15512 on: April 03, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »
When my 3.5. year old flails like a fish out of water, wringing her hands, emitting shrieks of increasing distress, crying, and lashing out at me when I say it's bed time.  Not that she doesn't want to go to bed, but she wants daddy to take her upstairs.

I have no idea why she doesn't use her extensive vocabulary to just say so.  I have no problem with daddy taking a turn at bed time.  He jumps at the chance to do it. If she'd use her words right off the bat, she wouldn't get herself so upset.... and there'd be more time for stories!

gmatoy

« Reply #15513 on: April 03, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »
When my 3.5. year old flails like a fish out of water, wringing her hands, emitting shrieks of increasing distress, crying, and lashing out at me when I say it's bed time.  Not that she doesn't want to go to bed, but she wants daddy to take her upstairs.

I have no idea why she doesn't use her extensive vocabulary to just say so.  I have no problem with daddy taking a turn at bed time.  He jumps at the chance to do it. If she'd use her words right off the bat, she wouldn't get herself so upset.... and there'd be more time for stories!

Would it work to say "Who do you want to want to read to you now that it is bedtime?" I'm for anything that keeps me from having to hear shrieks. ;)

gmatoy

« Reply #15514 on: April 03, 2014, 03:35:04 PM »
Cards with confetti in them. I have back issues and getting out the vacuum cleaner is hard for me. Please don't put tiny pieces of carp in the envelop and therefore into my carpet!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15515 on: April 03, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »
I'm getting sick and I have neither the time nor the patience for it.

lilfox

« Reply #15516 on: April 03, 2014, 04:23:50 PM »

My 4 year old pulled some similar attitude with me before bedtime two nights ago, so she lost her bedtime story privilege. When she realized that meant I wouldn't even read "half a book?", it pushed her right over the edge.  In my experience, if I had read her the half-book, she just would have gotten upset about something else - she was a meltdown in search of a reason.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #15517 on: April 03, 2014, 05:32:22 PM »
People who try my patience and do not leave me alone when I ask for space. They receive hints, a clue-by-four, a clue-by-seven and have the audacity to get offended when I finally clobber them with the Brick Of Reality(aka block them).

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

andi

« Reply #15518 on: April 03, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »
Hail storms - especially hail storms on the new car.  Sigh - time to call the insurance guy

Adelaide

« Reply #15519 on: April 03, 2014, 11:02:27 PM »
1) When you answer a question or make a statement and people take it as a humble brag. My mother got irritated with me for mentioning a study abroad trip in conversation with her cousins. I've studied abroad WAY less than my friends and wasn't even thinking about it, and they specifically asked if I'd been out of the country. I'm not going to lie about it. Similarly, a friend pressed and pressed for my official IQ score range and several rounds of "I don't really care about it" and "It doesn't matter anyway" later, got miffed when I told her and it was higher than hers. However, I also hate the humble brag and compliment fishing. Like "Ugh I just ran 15 miles but I ate a piece of cake today. I'm sooo fat" and what have you.

2) When you have to dress a certain way to get service in stores. I know I've griped about this before but I had the WORST Sephora experience the other day. Usually the sales associates are all over me, asking if I'm SURE I don't need help, etc. I had just gotten my brows threaded and I don't wear makeup to that because I end up crying it off. When I went into Sephora I might as well have been invisible. I spent quite a few minutes hunting around the store and not one of the associates asked me if I needed anything. When I finally pulled one over to get help, she took me to the section and when I said "Oh thanks, it's here" she just said "...great" and ran off without asking if I needed anything else. And no, it wasn't crowded that day.

3) When my girl friends gripe to me about how much harder it is to be a mother and juggle all the stuff they have to do than it is to live my life. Granted, they never explicitly say that so I never feel comfortable directly calling them out about it, but I do not have any sympathy for you. You chose to have a kid and I didn't. Is life hard? Yes. Will I sympathize with you all day long and listen to your complaints? Sure. But you don't get to cut me off if I want to complain about something and say "Oh, but imagine how hard it would be if you were a mom..." It's never "If you had kids", it's always "If you were a mom", as if moms are on some Other, hallowed plane along with the Virgin Mary and they've given birth to another Christ.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #15520 on: April 04, 2014, 05:01:04 AM »
Obsessing...I told DF something that bothered me yesterday; usually I move on because I know he'll fix it. Here I am, wide awake in the middle of the night, obsessing over it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15521 on: April 04, 2014, 07:00:17 AM »

3) When my girl friends gripe to me about how much harder it is to be a mother and juggle all the stuff they have to do than it is to live my life. Granted, they never explicitly say that so I never feel comfortable directly calling them out about it, but I do not have any sympathy for you. You chose to have a kid and I didn't. Is life hard? Yes. Will I sympathize with you all day long and listen to your complaints? Sure. But you don't get to cut me off if I want to complain about something and say "Oh, but imagine how hard it would be if you were a mom..." It's never "If you had kids", it's always "If you were a mom", as if moms are on some Other, hallowed plane along with the Virgin Mary and they've given birth to another Christ.

Ugh, the Mother Martyrs...!! They drive me crazy too, and I refuse to pin or share anything that goes along with that mentality, such as trying to make kids feel guilty for existing.  I saw one that had me rolling my eyes because it really did choose words that seemed to be designed to make kids feel bad for being born because of all the pain and sweat it inflicted on their poor mom along with all the other things she has to give up to take care of them.  ::)

Honestly one of the women I admire the most is my best friend who never married or had kids.  She's strong and has always had to try to figure out how to make ends meet on her own, has done many of her own home improvement projects herself yet knows when it's wise to call someone in, and she's not had an easy life but she's kept on truckin' as the saying goes. :) She also saved up money over several years to pay her own way to Ireland.  :)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15522 on: April 04, 2014, 08:39:35 AM »
Ads that won't be silenced.  Noah banner, I'm looking at you...
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15523 on: April 04, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »

I second that emotion.  I also can't stand when ads blare at you just as you land on the page and it takes more than a nanosecond to find the source.  This really shouldn't be allowed.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15524 on: April 04, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »

I second that emotion.  I also can't stand when ads blare at you just as you land on the page and it takes more than a nanosecond to find the source.  This really shouldn't be allowed.

This is why I keep my speaker off most of the time. However, yesterday I was watching a video with the sound on, of course, and up pops an ad for subscribing to that website. It was one of those ads in the middle of the screen that the viewer has to X off. Gr-r-r-r-r.