Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1739986 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15540 on: April 05, 2014, 01:04:13 AM »

PS-Harry thought they all came to visit him.  Especially the poor officer who had a severe cat allergy and basically sneezed and hacked his way through our house-Harry thought that was his new best friend.   He also tried to sneak past them into my glassroom when they opened the door to search there. 

Artie watched from a distance, but also tried to make friends with poor allergic guy.   ::)

This made me giggle. what IS it about cats that they immediately make a beeline for those who are either afraid of them, or very allergic. I can only imagine a big, tough federal marshall, hacking his way through your house. Poor guy.

My understanding is that, for cats, the body language of a person trying to avoid them is basically saying, "I'm not a threat.  Let's be friends."   Not that Harry didn't bug all 7 of them.   Because Harry loves everybody.   ;D

But I am with you in imagining some big macho Marshall being harassed by a big fluffy kitty cat.  My friend said it would have been funny if the poor guy wasn't so darned miserable.

He sounds like my cousins cat, George. Who loves EVERYBODY.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15541 on: April 05, 2014, 10:48:53 AM »
My DH and DS are attending a big camporee this weekend with 550 campers. They are an hour and a half away from where we live.

My MIL broke her ankle Thursday, but assumed it was a sprain. She went to get it checked yesterday and it is broken. They only have her in a bandage until she sees the orthopedic doctor next week. MIL didn't feel much pain and there wasn't much swelling, so she has been walking on it like normal. When I talked to her yesterday, I recommended she get the crutches out of the closet and use them.

MIL calls DH this morning, her ankle is very painful, swollen and sore. She can't get the crutches adjusted. Does she call me? No. So now DH is playing phone tag to let me know he needs me to go fix her crutches. She hasn't called me at all.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #15542 on: April 05, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
1. People on Freegle who ask for things and then fall off the face of the earth. This weekend, I'm due to have four people come to collect things I've offered. So far I've got two who arranged specific times and then didn't show, and a third who hasn't bothered to get back to me after I said she could have the item. I can see an email to the mods coming on.

2. Plastic stick on screen protectors. I should just remember that I can't apply these, and stop trying.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15543 on: April 05, 2014, 02:06:53 PM »
A guy at my phone store applies them all for me. He gets paid in cookies.  ;D

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #15544 on: April 05, 2014, 07:19:25 PM »
It drives me up the wall when patients call and try to guilt trip us into reducing their bill.  "I'll just go blind.  What does it matter?  You don't care!  You just want my money!".  I ran into it when I did short term disability as well - people would try to guilt trip me into approving them for more time off by saying things like "Fine, I'll just go back to work and fall off the tower then.  Will that make you happy?" or "Well, I'm still depressed, so I'll just commit suicide and then you won't have to worry about me anymore."

I understand they're unhappy, but the way to work around the problem is not to try and make the person you're yelling at cry due to feeling like a jerk because I have to follow procedures!

I understand their frustration--I've been grinding my teeth in my sleep since October (work related stress, ugh) and have worn down my canines a noticeable amount. My options were: 1) get a mouthguard ($500) to wear at night and hope that helps discourage the grinding (it hasn't) or 2) get four crowns at ~$800 apiece. Neither is covered by my insurance.

Don't they want me to keep my teeth healthy and not worn-down nubbins???

That being said--I would never try to guilt office staff about it. They can't help that my insurance company has a lousy policy.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #15545 on: April 06, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
Right now, my mother's driving me wallward...

I'm doing some bathroom renovations and bought a new toilet yesterday. None of us (myself and parents) wanted to hassle with bringing it in as the shopping was a bit exhausting, so we left it for today, Dad and I got it out of the car this afternoon and I just brought it inside a bit ago.

It's maybe ten feet from the door, and I swear I didn't even make it ten inches before she was hovering over me, demanding that I let her help me (um, mother dearest, you are disabled, you have two artificial hips and a pinched nerve in your back, you really shouldn't even be walking much less trying to help me drag in a toilet that weighs more than I do) and once I got it inside, she started in with the "WHY are you not helping?!" on Dad. He wasn't helping because I didn't ask him to because I had it all perfectly under control, it isn't as if I'm too weak to even drag a box into the house!

Thankfully, Dad is in full agreement with me that we are not allowing Mom to help us lift it up the stairs.

I love her dearly, but she needs to quit deluding herself that she's still capable of doing everything she used to be able to. She can't even stand up without pain anymore. :-\
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15546 on: April 06, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »
Getting very frustrated.  Cannot get a video that I bought this morning to download or stream.  Have talked 3 chat people today. 

Rey says "Soft reset device."  Did that. No effect. 

Dino says "Can't help, transferring you to the right people for video support.  Wait."  Chat ended itself immediately after that. 

Tried twice more to get through, at about 8pm EDT and 8:20EDT.  Both times got "Waiting for customer service associate from BN.com to arrive."  Waited about 10-15 minutes, no one ever arrived.  Phone customer service is closed.  How can they be closed when it's already Monday morning in India? 

Finally got through again on chat, talked to Rosse.  Rosse is no more successful than Dino.  Session timed out due to inactivity on B&N's side, because I was attempting to keep it open by sending a response every few seconds.

Just getting more and more angry about this. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #15547 on: April 06, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »
Getting very frustrated.  Cannot get a video that I bought this morning to download or stream.  Have talked 3 chat people today. 

Dino says "Can't help, transferring you to the right people for video support.  Wait."  Chat ended itself immediately after that. 

Tried twice more to get through, at about 8pm EDT and 8:20EDT.  Both times got "Waiting for customer service associate from BN.com to arrive."  Waited about 10-15 minutes, no one ever arrived.  Phone customer service is closed.  How can they be closed when it's already Monday morning in India? 

Finally got through again on chat, talked to Rosse.  Rosse is no more successful than Dino.  Session timed out due to inactivity on B&N's side, because I was attempting to keep it open by sending a response every few seconds.

I don't know if this will work with a video,  but I have found it works with their books.   Archive it,  completely power down device,  restart device,  then unachive it.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15548 on: April 06, 2014, 10:23:35 PM »

I don't know if this will work with a video,  but I have found it works with their books.   Archive it,  completely power down device,  restart device,  then unachive it.
Thanks, Dazi, but since I didn't download it, I can't archive it from the Nook, and it's not showing up in 'My Library' on the B&N website.   :P
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15549 on: April 06, 2014, 11:05:59 PM »

I'm doing some bathroom renovations and bought a new toilet yesterday. None of us (myself and parents) wanted to hassle with bringing it in as the shopping was a bit exhausting, so we left it for today, Dad and I got it out of the car this afternoon and I just brought it inside a bit ago.

It's maybe ten feet from the door, and I swear I didn't even make it ten inches before she was hovering over me, demanding that I let her help me (um, mother dearest, you are disabled, you have two artificial hips and a pinched nerve in your back, you really shouldn't even be walking much less trying to help me drag in a toilet that weighs more than I do) and once I got it inside, she started in with the "WHY are you not helping?!" on Dad. He wasn't helping because I didn't ask him to because I had it all perfectly under control, it isn't as if I'm too weak to even drag a box into the house!

Thankfully, Dad is in full agreement with me that we are not allowing Mom to help us lift it up the stairs.

I love her dearly, but she needs to quit deluding herself that she's still capable of doing everything she used to be able to. She can't even stand up without pain anymore. :-\

I can sympathize with you both really, as I'm sure it's not that easy for her to give up her independence and if she was a very active person who took pride in doing that sort of thing herself, I can see how it would be hard to let go of it.

But I can also sympathize with you in not wanting to see your mom hurt herself with her stubbornness!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #15550 on: April 07, 2014, 12:22:47 AM »

I can sympathize with you both really, as I'm sure it's not that easy for her to give up her independence and if she was a very active person who took pride in doing that sort of thing herself, I can see how it would be hard to let go of it.

But I can also sympathize with you in not wanting to see your mom hurt herself with her stubbornness!

Yeah, it is upsetting for her, and I do understand it. But she hasn't been able to lift heavy things or do much walking for years - and yet she still insists. :-\ I wish there was something more I could do for her. It already upsets her that I have to do most of the heavy lifting around the house, since she can't and Dad's asthmatic and has a bad back.

I'm very glad I didn't let her help with the toilet - Dad and I could hardly get it up the stairs ourselves! Now we're blitzed.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #15551 on: April 07, 2014, 06:32:58 AM »

Thanks, Dazi, but since I didn't download it, I can't archive it from the Nook, and it's not showing up in 'My Library' on the B&N website.   :P

Well, that is an entirely different problem then.   :P  I was thinking it the picture/icon was there in your library, just not downloading it's content...because that does happen occasionally.

The one and only time I had a book not show in my library, they had to refund it and I had to then repurchase it.  That still didn't work and they had to then refund me again. I suspect something on the file was corrupted.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15552 on: April 07, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »
Speaking of Facebook-related gripes, I hate it when someone posts something like "Should I watch Broadchurch?  Is it good?", and someone else replies "I don't even know what that is."  Gee, thanks, that was helpful.

(For the record:  yes, Broadchurch was very good.   :))

Me too! You're on the internet: if you (general) don't know what something is, just use the search engine of your choice.
right. but at the same time, don't think that just because you read a short synopsis of [insert subject of choice] on [insert online free encyclopedia of choice] that makes you an all-round expert in said subject. There is this person aon a foodie forum i've been on for years who somehow claims to know everything there is to know about every and any cuisine of the world. as well as a myriad of other subjects (cause, there are always "other subjects" that come up in the forum, from ideas for hotels in NY to gift ideas to how to raise children etc). it's annoying, pedantic and pretty clear that this person's "wealth of knowledge" comes directly from various search engines.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15553 on: April 07, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »
Seeing friends who don't have money to lose get suckered into a MLM scheme. Two more over the weekend.  ???

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15554 on: April 07, 2014, 09:28:02 AM »
Got a friend request on fbook from someone both DH and I unfriended 4 years ago. Actually I think he blocked her.  She and I were never really friends, mainly cause she made it pretty clear how strongly she desired DH.  :P A few times she even did so in front of her DH. I'd feel sorry for him if he weren't such a nasty piece of work, himself.

I saw the request and denied it right away.  She and her dh used to treat me as though they thought I was dumber than a box of rocks and I'm not about to let her use me to get to DH.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata