Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1780582 times)

nuit93

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15675 on: April 18, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »
Panicky drivers. In the rain. That suddenly brake, with nothing in front of them, next to them, or anywhere near them.

This is Florida, it rains. Deal with it.

Sounds like Seattle :)

BigBadBetty

« Reply #15676 on: April 18, 2014, 09:23:59 PM »
My mom not understanding the difference between mobile data and wifi.  Whenever I try to explain it she just gets angry.

My boyfriend's parents have the same problem. We have the conversation every few months. The data cap is pretty small for the mobile data. They want to stream movies over their TV. We have to explain why that is bad idea.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #15677 on: April 18, 2014, 11:17:09 PM »
When someone at work changes a password, doesn't tell anyone, and is then surprised when other people (like me) ask WHY he didn't tell anyone.  "I didn't know that you use it!"  Our operations guys use that password to download a very important file very day, sport, and you cost me two hours of my precious time while I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working.

I'll hold his legs and you can swing the bat. >:D

I would like to add people who take a family member with dementia out in a T-shirt and adult diaper. Not so big a deal if they're sitting in a wheelchair, but this man was walking around. I'm well aware it can be difficult to get someone dressed when they don't want to cooperate, but at least put a robe on him or wrap something around his waist rather than let him walk around in chilly weather dressed like an infant! When I saw that this morning, all I thought about was how horrified that man would be were his mind all there.
Who is the Doctor?

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #15678 on: April 19, 2014, 04:10:37 AM »
The sound of snoring.  More specifically, the sound of snoring during the day.

Housemate snores.  I can handle it overnight when she's in the next room.  Once I'm asleep, I usually sleep like a log.

But she gets up early when her puppy needs to go out, and camps out on the lounge rather than going back to bed.  She then lies there, eyes closed, snoring up a storm.

I have told her, many times, 'just go back to bed'.  Oh no, she is awake, she knows she's snoring, but she is awake...  Yeah.

On Sunday it was bad enough to rattle the windows.  I was sitting in the lounge chair next to the lounge, having my morning coffee.  It had been going on for nearly two hours at this stage.  It was enough... I went out and took some frustration out on the garden - things needed pruning anyway.  Still she insists she's awake.  I told her if she's awake and breathing like that, she needs to see a doctor!

Film her. The Good Ethnic Boy wouldn't believe he snored until I recorded him.  >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Tosca

« Reply #15679 on: April 19, 2014, 06:43:40 AM »
The expression "reached out to", especially in a media setting.  You don't "reach out to" someone for a comment, you CONTACT them.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15680 on: April 19, 2014, 07:50:05 AM »
The expression "reached out to", especially in a media setting.  You don't "reach out to" someone for a comment, you CONTACT them.

Oooh, yes, I am so sick of "reach out."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15681 on: April 19, 2014, 08:09:50 AM »
When someone at work changes a password, doesn't tell anyone, and is then surprised when other people (like me) ask WHY he didn't tell anyone.  "I didn't know that you use it!"  Our operations guys use that password to download a very important file very day, sport, and you cost me two hours of my precious time while I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working.

I would like to add people who take a family member with dementia out in a T-shirt and adult diaper. Not so big a deal if they're sitting in a wheelchair, but this man was walking around. I'm well aware it can be difficult to get someone dressed when they don't want to cooperate, but at least put a robe on him or wrap something around his waist rather than let him walk around in chilly weather dressed like an infant! When I saw that this morning, all I thought about was how horrified that man would be were his mind all there.

Ohhh man...when I worked with seniors, in our training we were always, ALWAYS told that we were to treat them with dignity and respect because even if their minds weren't all there and they aren't aware of it, they still deserve to be treated with respect.  I'm sure if it were in a home someone would get fired for that. Or at the very least, written up.

Least I hope so.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hillia

« Reply #15682 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:21 AM »

Ohhh man...when I worked with seniors, in our training we were always, ALWAYS told that we were to treat them with dignity and respect because even if their minds weren't all there and they aren't aware of it, they still deserve to be treated with respect.  I'm sure if it were in a home someone would get fired for that. Or at the very least, written up.

Least I hope so.

To me, that borders on abuse.  Not only is the person being humiliated (even if they're unaware), it's not safe/healthy for them, any more than it is for a child.

My mom worked for a time in a small, private Alzheimer's care home.  She had huge arguments with another of the caregivers over this very topic.  One lady would get out of bed and sleep on the tile floor at night - pretty cold and hard.  Mom would help her back into bed and stay with her til she was well asleep again so she wouldn't climb back out.  The other caregiver would let her stay, in the name of 'giving her respect and letting her make her own choices'.  No, sorry, that's not a choice that this lady is equipped to make any more.  Does she want to wear the same dress every day for a week?  No problem (if you can get it away to wash now and then).  But something that is harmful to her physically?  She can't make that choice, and you're not doing your job of protecting her if you let her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hillia

« Reply #15683 on: April 19, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »
Just thought of another one.  I've just gotten in to Game of Thrones; I've only seen season 1 and a few episodes of season 2 so far, so I carefully avoid discussion boards, articles, etc that could contain spoilers.  DH is very considerate (he's up to date on it) and doesn't discuss it with his friends when I'm around.  So yesterday I'm on a totally unrelated humor site, and there's an ad on the side that contains a MAJOR spoiler.  And the event they're referring to only happened an episode or two ago, so it's not something that happened so far back that everyone interested could be reasonably expected to have seen it.  Arrgh.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

turtleIScream

« Reply #15684 on: April 19, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
My son is 4, and he is beginning to demonstrate advanced math skills. It came up at church, and several people said, "wow, he is a smart little boy; he must take after his dad." Grrrr.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15685 on: April 19, 2014, 09:57:08 AM »
I once got scolded for doing an activity with the seniors in a day care center that involved coloring, or maybe it was a puzzle of some sort. At any rate, it was something that was bought with the idea of keeping their cognitive or motor skills going.

A manager scolded me for doing "babyish activities with them" even though I was talking to them in a normal tone of voice and carrying on a nice conversation and letting them talk about things they enjoyed, like music.

The woman led one of the seniors away talking to him as one would a baby and making him do something even more infantile and using a baby voice the whole time.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15686 on: April 19, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »
My son is 4, and he is beginning to demonstrate advanced math skills. It came up at church, and several people said, "wow, he is a smart little boy; he must take after his dad." Grrrr.

That is a grrr, unless your DH has a math-y job and they were referring to that.  If you're the one with a math-y job, or it was "he's better at math because he's a guy", double grrr.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #15687 on: April 19, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »

That is a grrr, unless your DH has a math-y job and they were referring to that.  If you're the one with a math-y job, or it was "he's better at math because he's a guy", double grrr.

DH's family will say things to me like, "Oh you guys will have such smart children.  *DH'sName* is such a smart guy, you just know he'll pass it along to his kids".  ::)  Apparently my intelligence (which is about equal to DH's, so far as we know, if focused on different interests) is not in the equation somehow.  Grrrr! 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15688 on: April 19, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »
Oh that would tick me off.  Mind you, I am often the first person to say that my oldest gets his head for math from DH because it's just not my strong subject.  But it's one thing if I say it, totally different if someone else did.

My thing driving me up the wall (there are so many today, really) We had our pictures taken for a church directory a few weeks ago and they arrived. We'd ordered a nice photo in a frame and it arrived bent and the photo damaged. GRRR The box had been bent despite there being a CLEAR sign on the box saying "DO NOT BEND! PHOTOS!"  ::)

I contacted the company who took the pictures, Lifetouch, hopefully they'll resend the picture. The other ones that were in a cardboard envelope within the bigger box seem fine, thankfully.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #15689 on: April 19, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »

Wow, that is just cruel! I don't think it's right to do that to an infant either, but doing it to an adult is just awful. Even dementia patients and infants deserve their dignity.