Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1826927 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16935 on: July 22, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
I got a Facebook friend request that went something like: "Hi!  I'm Susie Q and I'm a family friend of MrHillia and MrHillia'sBrother.  That means you're in the family too!"

It'd be very tempting to tell her "Thanks, but we don't have room for you in our Framily (TM Sprint), unless we kick out Gor-Don. We can't have both of y'all, that would make taco night too complicated"

Thanks for the laugh. When my FIL moved back, I was told that I had been removed from his inner circle of contacts because he didn't want to remove anyone else in order for him to have his cousins in other location on his circle and then he had added me back now that he is here. Eye roll, not worth any discussion about it. He only calls me for favors.

Cherry91

« Reply #16936 on: July 22, 2014, 03:30:16 PM »
When people give you next to no notice!

I entered a prize draw for tickets to a private show for of a musician I'm really fond of. The show is tomorrow, and since I hadn't heard anything by Monday, i guessed I hadn't won and made other plans.

So guess what I found in my email inbox just now? Tickets to the show!

I'm sticking to the plans I made on Monday as a relative gave me tickets to something else - a really thoughtful gift- but I'm so annoyed that this happened!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16937 on: July 22, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »
DH's horrible handwriting!  I guess last night, while I was showering, he got into one of his "must make plans in case I die tomorrow" moods and wrote out what he wants for his funeral.  He's 51 and in perfect health, but okay.

He puts it in a sealed envelope with my name written on it and a note underneath that I read as "in case something severe happens to me this will tell you what I won't". Then he went to bed.

Well, I'm now wondering what he won't tell me.  Is he having an affair, is he sick, does he think I'm having an affair?  What !?  I've got too many thoughts floating around in my overtired brain.

When I asked him about it this morning he went "Oh, no.  I wrote 'this will tell you what I want; not won't'".

Gah!  Learn to write legibly (or maybe just talk to me!) and I won't have to go through a sleepless night wondering what the heck you're not telling me!

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #16938 on: July 22, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »
When a non-fiction book title has the title and then what the book is about in the title.  As in, "TITLE OF BOOK: What the book is about".  I don't know why that irritates the beejezus out of me, it just does.  Just use either the title or what the book is about, you don't need both.

magicdomino

« Reply #16939 on: July 22, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
When a non-fiction book title has the title and then what the book is about in the title.  As in, "TITLE OF BOOK: What the book is about".  I don't know why that irritates the beejezus out of me, it just does.  Just use either the title or what the book is about, you don't need both.

I've heard that Amazon.com's data fields for entering new books into the system require subtitles.  I'm pretty sure many don't have subtitles, but enough have things like "(Candy House Mysteries)" that there is a subtitle field, and publishers just can't resist filling it in.

Adelaide

« Reply #16940 on: July 22, 2014, 06:39:39 PM »
My coworker's chewing irritates me to no end. Every day from 11:45-12:15 he sticks in his earbuds to watch hulu and eat. There are long pauses that are punctuated by a few quick, enthusiastic smacking sounds, more silence, and then a few more smacks. This goes on for at least that half hour and also includes intermittent crunching depending on what he's eating for the day. I pretty much do everything I can not to be at my desk at that time. I'm going to grit my teeth and bear it for the final month that I'm here.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16941 on: July 22, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »
When I come home from class, and it's "Mom, I need..." or "Gui, do you want to watch FaceOff with me?" and just a barrage of requests and news.  No one asks about my class; if I have to complain before someone asks, it doesn't "count".  Makes me not even want to share what happened in class tonight  :'(.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #16942 on: July 22, 2014, 11:20:25 PM »
When I come home from class, and it's "Mom, I need..." or "Gui, do you want to watch FaceOff with me?" and just a barrage of requests and news.  No one asks about my class; if I have to complain before someone asks, it doesn't "count".  Makes me not even want to share what happened in class tonight  :'(.

So what happened in class tonight?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

andi

« Reply #16943 on: July 22, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »

So what happened in class tonight?

Yes - tell us about your class then we can watch "FaceOff".  Hugs

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16944 on: July 23, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
I'm to the point where my college courses and coursework are a large part of my life and my family has accepted that. They may not show a daily interest, but I understand your frustration.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16945 on: July 23, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »
I'm to the point where my college courses and coursework are a large part of my life and my family has accepted that. They may not show a daily interest, but I understand your frustration.
I must have had a brainfart, because I read that as "cursework."  >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16946 on: July 23, 2014, 10:43:29 AM »
Some days it is.  >:D

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #16947 on: July 23, 2014, 12:24:29 PM »

I've heard that Amazon.com's data fields for entering new books into the system require subtitles.  I'm pretty sure many don't have subtitles, but enough have things like "(Candy House Mysteries)" that there is a subtitle field, and publishers just can't resist filling it in.

Some of it could be metadata (the info that helps you search for a particular book) related too. Depending on what market you're in, the title/subtitle may or may not be linked to the metadata the publishers enter--just a random example, but if you search for "British Royalty" and the book title is "Princess Diana" and there's no other metadata, it might not come up. Or they might want the subtitle or series name to be really specific, to maximize their search hits.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #16948 on: July 23, 2014, 12:26:08 PM »
Ohhhh, that really gets up my nose too, BabyMama. If somebody needs help, then they also need to actually be doing what they can when they can, not just slacking off because someone else is doing it for them! Grrrr.  >:(

Yeah, they ended up going for 45 minutes, while I'm over here doing all the small details of the project that in theory don't take too long, but they need to be done x6 and there are several of them so it becomes a piddly time-suck.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16949 on: July 23, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
Ohhhh, that really gets up my nose too, BabyMama. If somebody needs help, then they also need to actually be doing what they can when they can, not just slacking off because someone else is doing it for them! Grrrr.  >:(

Yeah, they ended up going for 45 minutes, while I'm over here doing all the small details of the project that in theory don't take too long, but they need to be done x6 and there are several of them so it becomes a piddly time-suck.

UGH. My slacker boss is actually back today, but working from home, and coming back in the office tomorrow after a 10 day vacation. We're already taking new bets on how long her conversations with her buddies about the trip last, how many phone calls to her family, about the trip, she makes, and so on. Meanwhile, we are busy, and there's a lot to be done.