News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 30, 2017, 12:26:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 3600531 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #24705 on: February 16, 2017, 07:55:53 AM »
Mislaid some things while unpacking.  After two days of looking - they were on my cutting table in the sewing room.

I swear that thing is a magnet for missing objects...

You haven't got my slimline reading glasses there, have you? ;)  Or my handbag [tiny] hairbrush?

I wish I had a location in my home that was a magnet for missing objects!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

siamesecat2965

« Reply #24706 on: February 16, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »
When I resolve not to buy anything else. (I am a bit of a compulsive/impulsive shopper) but something I've had my eye on for a while is such a good price I just can't resist. I have a little bit of an obsession with kate spade bags. And have close to 20, between purses and totes I use for work. Some were gifts, some bought pre-owned, but none paid full price for.

Still...so there's a really really adorable bag i've had my eye on for quite some time. It was recently marked down again, and now they have an additional % off, so its really quite reasonable. Sigh.

I did tell myself, since i'l lbe outlet shopping this weekend, and there's a ks outlet...wait. if you find something there, you can't have this bag, but if not, its all yours.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #24707 on: February 16, 2017, 09:28:56 AM »
I'm sure i've said this before, but when people don't do their homework, or read, and then get indignant over something that's perfectly clear, had they actually looked at something before! The consignment app I sell on takes a fee. A pretty high one, but in return, they handle shipping, labels, and if there are issues, since its a no return site, returns if warranted.

Someone was just on their FB page ranting about how ridiculous the fee is, and don't lie to them and tell them it covers shipping since the item weighs very little so there's no way the $40 fee they'll take is fair. Sigh. They take 20%. you listed your item for $200, if you sell at that, yes, they will take $40, which is 20%. Yes, its high, but for me, i factor that into my pricing, and am happy all I need to do when I make a sale, is print out a label.

It's just ridiculous how some people think others are out to get them, or cheat them, when in fact, the terms are very clearly spelled out.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #24708 on: February 16, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »
This actually happened a few weeks ago, but it greatly annoyed me. I popped into the financial aid office to inquire exactly why I didn't qualify for anything. One of the other women that worked in the area popped in and told the financial aid officer it was clear that I wasn't hurting for money because was carrying "very expensive brand" handbag.

I just looked at her and informed her it was a gift from a very dear family member, I didn't buy it. I had NO idea that the handbag could actually cover my tuition cost should I have chosen to sell it. This family member has gifted me with some lovely Coach bags over the years, but this one is a much more expensive brand. I didn't know until I came home and looked it up.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

siamesecat2965

« Reply #24709 on: February 16, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
This actually happened a few weeks ago, but it greatly annoyed me. I popped into the financial aid office to inquire exactly why I didn't qualify for anything. One of the other women that worked in the area popped in and told the financial aid officer it was clear that I wasn't hurting for money because was carrying "very expensive brand" handbag.

I just looked at her and informed her it was a gift from a very dear family member, I didn't buy it. I had NO idea that the handbag could actually cover my tuition cost should I have chosen to sell it. This family member has gifted me with some lovely Coach bags over the years, but this one is a much more expensive brand. I didn't know until I came home and looked it up.

Wow, that's quite presumptuous of her! Not everyone is up on brands, prices etc. I am a bag lover, so I probably would have recognized your bag, but wouldn't have thought twice about you having it, and applying for financial aid! Not to mention, plenty of people carry knock offs, and many high end bags can be purchased for a fraction of the cost, pre-owned, or as in your case, gifted. Sheesh. I would have been peeved too.

Carotte

« Reply #24710 on: February 16, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »
Websites that accept the creation of an account with an email that looks like  myemail+thatwebsite@gmail.com* but then tells me it's not a valid email structure when I loose my password and asks for it to send me a new one.

* This works with gmail, I don't know for others, but it's a way to have a sort of different but the same/alias email and track who sends you what.

Online adds that have almost no details on what they're trying to sell, "drum set, 5 toms, 3 cymbals" is not enough when you're trying to unload it for 500Ä! (is all the hardware included, what's the condition, the sizes or models of the toms..).
Also, adds that have absolutely no details on what the seller wants as far as payement (what mode they accept)/willing to ship or face to face exchange...
Maybe they like being bothered by people asking for details? Personaly the less back and forth there is the better, I'm not selling anything too complicated but I try to give the same amount (if not more) of details that a website would.
The consumer is lazy, yeah they could google themselves the specs of the Thingamajig, but unless it's a model they already know they're interested in they probably won't.
And I try to figure out the shipping cost in advance too.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #24711 on: February 16, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »
Replies that clearly miss the point:

I don't like Facebook, and therefore don't log on there very often. A friend of mine forwarded me a message via Facebook, which I noticed because I have it set to email me about certain things. I answered the forwarded message in email (I gather this makes me old-fashioned), and that's all under control, but logged onto FB to try to reply to my friend, and saw a messenger request from December.

So I posted a status/update message, saying that I am not ignoring anyone in particular, but almost never log on, and if people want to reach me they should use email [address given], Livejournal or Dreamwidth, or Twitter.

Before I could log out, I saw that someone had "liked" that post. But apparently he didn't like it enough to pay attention to what it said. Ah, well, I haven't heard from him in this century, so it probably isn't urgent.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #24712 on: February 16, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »

I don't like Facebook, and therefore don't log on there very often. A friend of mine forwarded me a message via Facebook, which I noticed because I have it set to email me about certain things. I answered the forwarded message in email (I gather this makes me old-fashioned), and that's all under control, but logged onto FB to try to reply to my friend, and saw a messenger request from December.

So I posted a status/update message, saying that I am not ignoring anyone in particular, but almost never log on, and if people want to reach me they should use email [address given], Livejournal or Dreamwidth, or Twitter.

Before I could log out, I saw that someone had "liked" that post. But apparently he didn't like it enough to pay attention to what it said. Ah, well, I haven't heard from him in this century, so it probably isn't urgent.

Someone liking your status doesn't mean they need to contact you. Liking your status makes it more likely that more people will see it.  Facebook is not going to automatically show your post to all of your friends.  The more likes/comments it gets, more of your friends will see it.

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #24713 on: February 16, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »
when someone says, "it must be nice."

Usually it's said when someone says their going on vacation and the other person says, "it must be nice."

Drives me up the wall. Maybe they scrimped and saved and sacrificed some things in order to do that.

Also can't stand when people on Facebook complain about how they can't afford to buy this or do that but yet in the next post they say they are out drinking/partying. Priorities...

Shalamar

« Reply #24714 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45:19 AM »
No kidding!  There are ways to express appreciation for the other person's plans without making it sound like you think they don't deserve them.   When my boss said she was planning a trip to New Orleans, I said "Oh, I'm so jealous!  I'd love to visit there."  She said "Well, you could ..."  I said "Can't this year - we're saving our money for a new deck.  Maybe next year!"

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #24715 on: February 17, 2017, 10:21:59 AM »
My body chemistry. I eat the finish off metals and plastics except for silver, gold, titanium and stainless steel. So far, I'm not eating the silicone off my wrist band.  ::)

I had to replace my adorable red framed glasses with titanium ones.  :'(
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

chi2kcldy

« Reply #24716 on: February 17, 2017, 11:45:25 AM »
Debbie Downers.

I understand we all have events in our life that can bring us down. I get it, I really do. However our newest coworker takes the term Debbie Downer to a different level. So far this week:

1.   Told me my boots are cute but she canít wear boots due to her neuropathy

2.   The printer had a paper jam other coworker joking said to big boss that the machine was causing her stress. New coworker said she doesnít get stressed because she almost died 3 times and proceeds to tell the story of each event

3.   We ordered Italian food for lunch Wednesday. Coworker said she canít eat Italian because it reminds her of her grandmother who was killed. Then tells us the story of what happened

4.   Another coworker is going on a cruise Sunday. New coworker tells us she almost drowned when she was 10

5.   Big bossís son just released his first LP. She tells us, when big boss leaves, that the music industry is evil

6.   Iím eating fresh melon and strawberries. She tells me her diabetes does not allow her to eat overly sweet fruit.

I have a few more but itís only been 4 days. She just started Monday.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:47:08 AM by chi2kcldy »

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #24717 on: February 17, 2017, 12:06:25 PM »

Someone liking your status doesn't mean they need to contact you. Liking your status makes it more likely that more people will see it.  Facebook is not going to automatically show your post to all of your friends.  The more likes/comments it gets, more of your friends will see it.

And now you know how much attention I pay to Facebook, that I didn't even think of that. Thanks.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Girlie

« Reply #24718 on: February 17, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »
When someone is telling a story (or giving instructions) and it's extremely straightforward like this: "John Doe was driving down Maple St in his truck. A deer ran out in front of him and he swerved into a parked car. The person in the car was injured and 911 was called."

Then the listener(s) follow up with, "Oh my! What made him swerve?" and "Was anyone hurt?"

I'm a decent listener and it pains and annoys me when people are PLAINLY not paying attention. In my particular case, I was serving grand jury duty (and the cases themselves were nothing like the story I just told - although the style of story telling was), and it was painfully obvious that some people were just NOT giving their best in those regards.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #24719 on: February 18, 2017, 01:47:21 PM »
when someone says, "it must be nice."

Usually it's said when someone says their going on vacation and the other person says, "it must be nice."

Drives me up the wall. Maybe they scrimped and saved and sacrificed some things in order to do that.

Also can't stand when people on Facebook complain about how they can't afford to buy this or do that but yet in the next post they say they are out drinking/partying. Priorities...

Yes, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. I think it particularly irritates me because it seems that people will say it for only certain non-essential expenditures. For example, my husband and I are very, very frugal and we save our money for experiences because that is what makes us happy. We also both have immediate family that live abroad so there is an expectation that we will travel to see them. I notice that people who may not be very frugal (which is fine, it is their money to spend) will make "it must be nice" comments when we go on trips. If I were to say "it must be nice" when those same people are constantly ordering expensive lunches everyday and going on shopping sprees multiple times per month, it would be considered highly inappropriate; but to make comments on a person's travels has become an acceptable type of to-your-face comment.
I also recognize that some people truly cannot afford to do some of the things that I can save to do, but it seems like I only encounter rude/judgmental comments from people who could afford it but prioritize money differently than me.