Author Topic: They Won't Respond/Won't Return My Furniture  (Read 2367 times)

babygirl777

They Won't Respond/Won't Return My Furniture
« on: March 18, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »
I am at a total loss. When my great aunt died, her good friend bought my aunt's antique dresser. Now, the good friend has contacted us (the family) to say she wants us to have the dresser back in our family. The dresser is in a storage unit (rented by the friend's son) and the son will not return the dresser. This person will not respond to emails, phone calls, letters. I have offered to get the key, get the dresser, leave the storage unit in immaculate condition, and return the key. Nothing. That dresser matches several pieces of our family's furniture. I am so frustrated and mad at these rude people. How dare they keep what does not belong to them? What should I do? Should I threaten to sue? I am at my wit's end, but it's been over a year now and I cannot get them to reply. Please help me know what I should do.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: They Won't Respond/Won't Return My Furniture
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:37:25 AM »
They paid for it, it belongs to them.  If this good friend wants you to have the dresser she paid for, then she'll get it to you.  She could've changed her mind about giving it to you.  I would wait until she contacts you again. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

L.A. Lady

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:22:29 PM »
It sounds like you friend that bought the dresser and her son have a communication problem. There is nothing you can do until your friend calls you back. The dresser is legally hers. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:46:24 AM »
How dare they keep what does not belong to them?

But it does belong to them. They bought it. It sucks that they offered to give it back to you, and then changed their mind, but there's nothing you can do about it I'm afraid. It's their right to keep it if they so choose.

BTW, I think you posted this in the wrong folder by mistake. I don't know if you can move it yourself, or if it takes a moderator?`

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:00:27 AM »
  At this moment it does belong to them.( the mother anyway)

The son might be rude if he was asked to pass it on to you and he agreed to do so.

The mother might be rude if she already promised it to her son or if she didn't even tell her son yet she means you to have it or if it is a burden for the son to get it to you.  Yes, I know your willing to go get it and go get the key , but I might not want to give someone access to my storage or have the time/inclination to go the storage facility. 

I think you would be ok to call the mother and let her know your having trouble contacting her son( assuming you have only been calling/Emailing the son so far)