Author Topic: Wish I'd used it to the guy who sold us our house  (Read 6479 times)

Kiss in a Corner

Wish I'd used it to the guy who sold us our house
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »
DH and I live in a house built in 1860. Several generations of the same family lived it it. We bought it from the great-great grandson of the original builders, who grew up in the house.

We passed papers on June 30 and the seller was supposed to be out of the house on July 1. He overstayed an extra six days. It was legally our house at this point and we could have charged him rent but didn't.

When he left, he dismantled built-in shelves that he was supposed to leave for us. He promised to leave his fridge. He didn't - he took it with him and we had to buy one, an un-budgetted big expense. The dishwasher was broken, a fact he didn't disclose before the sale, so we had to buy one of those, too. He dug up plants from the garden and took them to his new house.

While moving out, he badly scratched the wooden floors in the living room. We had to have them refinished, another expense. He left the house filthy.

And best of all, three months after the sale, the former owner comes back to DH and me and says, "I just talked to someone who would have paid me $30,000 more for the house than you did. If I'd waited to sell to him, I'd have had that money. I think we should renegotiate the price you paid." We laughed at him. He threatened to sue us. We said go ahead and good luck to you.

Three years after moving in, DH and I built an addition to the house. We also painted it a new color. The new section was architecturally true to 1860 and blended in very nicely. We used a builder who specializes in period restorations. The house used to be a depressing battleship gray, now it's a light cheerful yellow. We get a call from the crazy former owner criticizing the "modern cracker box that we had tacked onto his beloved boyhood home" as well as the "the stupid color."

So jump forward a couple years, and the guy phones us and says that his grandchildren are visiting our town and he wants to bring them into our house "to tour their ancestral home."

I hadn't discovered this board in those days and hadn't yet learned the EHellion splendid phrase, "I'm afraid that won't be possible." I think what I said was, "What? Are you nuts? Don't come anywhere near this house!" and hung up on him.

Stranger

• diligo ergo sum
Re: Wish I'd used it to the guy who sold us our house
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:26:49 PM »
Well, when you know better you do better. If he ever tries to infringe on your privacy again, you know what to say!

Your house sounds lovely  :)

Chinchillazilla

• SQUEAK.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:27:32 PM »
So jump forward a couple years, and the guy phones us and says that his grandchildren are visiting our town and he wants to bring them into our house "to tour their ancestral home."

Wow, that's crazy. I mean, it's nice to do if you can, but when you've been harassing and threatening the current owners, let it go, man.
No running with scythes.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »
He sounds a bit pushy, to say the least, but it still doesn't mean that you can't politely tell him no.  It does sound like you realize that though so...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 02:07:20 PM »
Aww, that's too bad- that the guy was such a freak. I've driven past both my grandparents' homes, and have thought about knocking on the door. I have many happy childhood memories of time spent in both those houses, and my dad (30 years passed) was actually born in his childhood home. But I haven't asked, because it's an imposition.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 02:23:47 PM »
I've taken people to our the house I spent the first 6 years of my life in, but it's a B&B now, and the owners like to show it off.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

gmatoy

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »
This past summer, I went back to the house we lived in almost 50 years ago. I wanted to take a picture of the house, but was afraid to w/o asking for permission. (Didn't want to seem like a weird stalker type.) So I knocked  and asked permission...she said yes, once she knew I only wanted to take pictures of the outside. ( We had a language barrier, I finally just showed her the camera and mimed picture taking :) . )

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:44:41 PM »
We got a chance to tour the house our great great grandfather built in the 1870's. Thankfully we sold it in the 40's so no one had a chance to be a complete jerk to the new owners. In fact the new owners are fascinated with our family history and have pictures of my great great grandparents on the wall and want to know everything.

But if anybody had been rude to them I wouldn't have blamed them one bit for turning us down.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:32:23 AM »
How obnoxious!!  Who does he think he is that he can tell you what to do with the house after he's sold it to you?  And doing all that to it when moving out!!    Sounds like he didn't really want to sell it, after all. 

We moved into a house built in 1925 and the only owners before us were all family.   A couple weeks after we moved in, a guy showed up at the house claiming to be the previous owners grandson.  He claimed there was a federal lein on the house that the title company missed and claimed he had some papers to prove it, and don't tell our realtor about it!

Well we were suspicious and told the realtor about it.  He told us not to talk to the guy if he showed up again, and let him look into it.  We had a great RE agent! :)   Well the guy never returned so we suspect he was just sore because he wanted his grandparent's house and didn't get it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »
I did once write the people who bought my childhood home, and asked to see it during a trip to my parents' home in the BigCity of that state. I heard they'd turned the attic into living space, and I was SO curious. I even included a self-addressed, stamped postcard so they could tell me yes or no. I never got the postcard back in the mail.

But the first day of my visit, I got a call in the evening from them saying, "sure, come on down!" It was such a fun tour. And they were really nice. And I left my friend's housekeys there, and had to pick them up a year later when I was in town for my H.S. reunion.

boxy

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »
I believe if that happened to me, and he left the home filthy, damaged and without pre-negotiated items I would submit a bill to him. 

delphinium

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 05:47:47 PM »
Didn't you have a walk-through before the actual closing?  When we sold our house, the new owners did that and noticed an outlet in the powder room that should have been changed to a  GFCI.  This was an oversight - the outlet in question was in a hard-to-see place and the electrician had missed it.  We promptly had ti taken care of.

You would have seen the refrigerator was missing, etc..