General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

Two preacher stories from the wedding archive

<< < (2/12) > >>

Bellantara:

--- Quote from: Shea on March 27, 2010, 01:04:10 PM ---Where's the jaw-dropping smiley when you need it??  :o :o :o Rude, rude, on all the clergymens' accounts.

I remember when one of my cousins died several years ago, at his funeral service the preacher finished off his speech (not really a sermon as it was about the deceased) by giving those of us who were not members of the church a little lecture about how if we didn't accept Diety ASAP we were all headed directly to the Very Hot Place because Diety judges us all harshly...etc. Really? A funeral is not the place to be promoting your own agenda! I guess maybe he thought we would be feeling emotionally vulnerable following the death and therefore more open to joining his church. Nice.

--- End quote ---

Pastor who spoke at my stepmother's funeral did this, to a lesser extent.  Dad was not pleased; my brother and I sat and watched him, thinking, "oh, crud, he's gonna go after the idjit, and then what do we do?"

Jolie_kitten:
@ Shea & Bellantara- sorry to hear about your experience. Well, at least you can sentence the preacher to Etiquette Very Hot Place here right back!  >:D :P :P

Shea:

--- Quote from: Bellantara on March 27, 2010, 03:45:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: Shea on March 27, 2010, 01:04:10 PM ---Where's the jaw-dropping smiley when you need it??  :o :o :o Rude, rude, on all the clergymens' accounts.

I remember when one of my cousins died several years ago, at his funeral service the preacher finished off his speech (not really a sermon as it was about the deceased) by giving those of us who were not members of the church a little lecture about how if we didn't accept Diety ASAP we were all headed directly to the Very Hot Place because Diety judges us all harshly...etc. Really? A funeral is not the place to be promoting your own agenda! I guess maybe he thought we would be feeling emotionally vulnerable following the death and therefore more open to joining his church. Nice.

--- End quote ---

Pastor who spoke at my stepmother's funeral did this, to a lesser extent.  Dad was not pleased; my brother and I sat and watched him, thinking, "oh, crud, he's gonna go after the idjit, and then what do we do?"

--- End quote ---

Oh yes, my aunt (deceased cousin's mother) was horrified. She's also a member of the church, but not the sort to tell anyone else to convert or burn. Preacher had obviously not cleared that part of his speech with her beforehand. Way to make the poor woman feel even worse at her son's funeral.

Yarnspinner:
Some time ago a friend's father passed away.  This man had suffered several years of cancer related illness, treatment, the effects of the treatment...and he remained cheerful throughout and went so far as to help out in the hospital clinics with new cancer sufferers.

In addition, the guy was very kind, popular and generous to a fault with even the least acquaintance.  Waiting on the line for his wake was like waiting for a popular ride at Disneyland; so many people had come to pay their respect for his many good acts and kindnesses over the years that we waited almost an hour just to get IN the funeral home.

Ditto the church.  Packed.  To the rafters with people standing outside.

And the priest used this opportunity NOT to talk about John at all.  Instead he began with "Now, I am sure there are many of you here who think that Brother John has been taken into heaven and the arms of the father.  But to tell the truth, how do we know that Brother John hasn't been fooling us all these years.  For all we know, God has punished him in hell for years of lip service and imposture."

My friend had to hold her sister down from beating the priest to a pulp.  Honestly, the sound of jaws dropping all over the room nearly cut off the rest of the priest's ranting lecture.  By the time my friend's mother had passed, they had found a new church and much more sensitive and intelligent priest.

The nerve of that awful little man!

Jolie_kitten:
How appaling!!! :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version