Author Topic: I get holidays too...  (Read 7477 times)

sparklestar

I get holidays too...
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »
It's Easter so we have a bank holiday.

Like a good business owner, we give our clients plenty of notice about the upcoming bank holiday stating that if they want work back before the Easter Holidays, they need to send it by 5pm Wednesday. 

I've just received an email entitled "Urgent: work needing done ASAP!" from one of our clients - at 5:30pm on Wednesday.  Now usually I'd try and be flexible on this request and get it done for the next working day, but every man and his dog have also sent their work in so they get it back before Easter, and they all managed to do it before the 5pm deadline. 

"I'm sorry, as per our email regarding Easter Holidays, this work will be returned after the bank holiday on Tuesday."

I'm just waiting for the whinging to start....

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
Re: I get holidays too...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
Just curious, and so not on topic, but how is "whinging" pronounced in the UK? I'd always assumed the 'g' was silent and so 'winge' was pronounced like 'sign' (sine), but I've recently read something to make me question that.

So, is it 'wine-ing' or 'winj-ing'?

(sorry for this OT question)

Nanny Ogg

• The Shrinking Lady!
    • For Your Paws
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »
Its pronounced "win gin" if you've got a fairly strong London accent... Maybe "win jing" if you're posh :)

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:18:20 PM »
This thread reminded me of this post from NotAlwaysRight.com:

http://notalwaysright.com/santa-baby/4850

Asharah

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
I work at a bank in the US. Used to be closed for Good Friday. Not anymore.  ::) At least boss doesn't argue when I tell him I have to leave early on Friday for the church service.
Asharah

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »
Its pronounced "win gin" if you've got a fairly strong London accent... Maybe "win jing" if you're posh :)

Thank you!

sparklestar

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 02:35:28 PM »
This thread reminded me of this post from NotAlwaysRight.com:

http://notalwaysright.com/santa-baby/4850
LOL!  That's brilliant - if I was brave I might even send him it!!! 

I've already had the whinging (win-jing).  Although I suspect he knew he was on a losing streak as it was pretty resigned "Please can I have it back end of day tomorrow?" rather than his usual demand that we do the work NOW and shove all the other clients out the way.  Forwarding the email we sent about Easter Holidays again may have flagged that we weren't going to bend over backwards. 

If it was a one-off, I'd probably make a super human effort, but he does this at least once a week!!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 09:07:24 AM »
Wouldn't you just love to send this guy an email reading: "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute and emergency on my part"?

I know I would.  >:D

sparklestar

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:12:58 AM »
You have no IDEA how tempting!!!   ;D

I am instigating a new policy of just repeating ad nauseum when he says that he wants work back straight away - "As per your request, please find attached our standard terms and conditions"

The stupid thing is, we can take work out of the system and prioritise it, but it means we have to shove everyone else out the way so we introduced a rush job fee.  The amount of "urgent" jobs which suddenly became less urgent was really amazing.  He knows we have the rush job fee but refuses to pay for it, yet expects his work to be prioritised just the same!

Itza

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 11:29:29 AM »
It's like the second g in garage.

www.opendiary.com/hear_me
Disclaimer: Not for the faint hearted

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
Whinging rhymes with cringing or binging. HTH.  ;D
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

bigozzy

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 05:35:28 AM »
Whinging rhymes with cringing or binging. HTH.  ;D

Very Easter appropriate response as my kids were both whinging and cringing after the binging.

FunkyMunky

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 11:34:40 PM »
OT: You can always adopt the Aussie 'sooking' (sounds like cooking), 'having a sook', 'being a sook' etc. I'm keen to export it. :)

sparklestar

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 05:47:43 AM »
OT: You can always adopt the Aussie 'sooking' (sounds like cooking), 'having a sook', 'being a sook' etc. I'm keen to export it. :)

In the UK "sooking up" is what you do when you are trying to be nice to someone to gain something.  So if I wanted my hubby to buy me a diamond I might "sook up" to him by telling him ow incredibly handsome he is....

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 02:27:56 PM »
So "sooking up" is a variant pronunciation of "sucking up?"

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts