Author Topic: Rude responses to travel plans/regional superiority  (Read 18511 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Rude responses to travel plans/regional superiority
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:07:20 AM »
I put this in complete silence just because at the time I was so surprised by the responses I got that I didn't know what to say.    

BG:  After talking with an online friend for a year and a half, we decided we liked and trusted each other enough to meet in person and made plans for me to visit her in her hometown in Iowa.  Since I'm in Maryland, just meeting over coffee or for lunch wasn't really possible. :)

I'd never been to the state before so I was looking forward to meeting "N" and spending the week with her, as well as getting to see Iowa for the first time.   I love traveling and always get excited to see places I've never been to.  

However when I mentioned my travel plans and told them where I was going and that I was eager to see what Iowa was like, some people snorted or poked fun at my excitement.  "You're excited to see Iowa? You need to get out more!!" or "What's so exciting about Iowa?  Do you like, really like cornfields or something?", and "Well, I hope your friend is really interesting!!"

One neighbor, when I said we were going to a winery during my visit, she said "We have vineyards here in Maryland, too, you know!!"  

I heard it often enough that eventually I just shrugged and said "I guess it depends on what you consider to be fun" to the inquiries of what could possibly be fun to do in Iowa.  

ETA:  For the record, this was last summer and I can honestly say I LOVED Iowa and N and I got along just as well in person as we did online.    I'd still like to move there some day and can't wait to go back. :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:12:18 AM by Piratelvr1121 »
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Carnation

• Super Hero!
Re: Rude responses to travel plans/regional superiority
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:24:47 AM »
"Is this Heaven?"

"No, Iowa." :-*

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:36:41 PM »
LOL!!   

The snottiness of the replies just really surprised me.   It's fine if someone doesn't really view the Midwest as interesting, there are parts of the world I'm not as eager to see, either.    But making fun of someone's travel plans and their anticipation of it is just rude.   

And insulting to the state they're visiting too.   I'm sure there are people who couldn't care less if they never get to see Maryland, either.  :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

wendelenn

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:39:13 PM »
"Is this Heaven?"

"Are you from outer space?"
"No, I'm from Iowa, I only work in outer space."
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:14:58 PM »
I'm missing something.  What are those lines from? 

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »
I got a little grief last year when BF and I decided to take a road trip to Omaha (from Chicago).  It was mostly from a friend that I can joke around with.  The first time she mentioned it (in response to a facebook post about the trip), I gave her a serious answer - I explained to her what attracted us to Omaha.  When her response was still less than excited, I responded with "It's a good thing you're not going with us, then!"  I think that one's polite enough, if it's said with a smile.  I'm also a fan of "isn't it a good thing we aren't all exactly the same?" and "Why would I want to visit a place that's exactly the same as home?" (when asked why we'd go somewhere quieter and smaller and less urban than Chicago) :) 

Also, Omaha was awesome, I got to meet a cool ehellion, and I'm glad BF talked me into it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »
I've never been to Omaha, but the friend in Iowa has friends there they go to visit a few times a year.   She says it's nice. :)   

I also like small towns and the scenery of rural areas so while some might find it boring, I thought it was gorgeous and peaceful.   Made me sad to have to leave for the busy, growing suburban area I lived in at the time.

wendelenn

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
"Is this Heaven?"

"Are you from outer space?"
"No, I'm from Iowa, I only work in outer space."

@Piratelvr:  Carnation's, if I am correct, is from Field of Dreams.

Mine is from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.  Captain James T. Kirk is speaking, to a girl he's just met, on Earth in San Francisco in the 1980s.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:25:44 PM »
Ahhh, okay.   We passed the town that Field of Dreams was filmed in on our way back to friend's house from Dubuque.  :D   And when DH watched the newest ST movie, he called me into the great room during the first scene...in Iowa.  :) 

My favorite Iowa-based movie/musical is The Music Man.   

And we're so bygone stubborn
 we can stand touchin' noses
for a week at a time and never see eye to eye!
But what the heck, you're welcome!
Glad to have you with us,
even though we may not ever mention it again!

You really ought to give Iowa a try! 

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 08:37:44 PM »
All this talk of Iowa reminds me of one of the highlights of the drive to Omaha:  our detour to Riverside, Iowa :D

LadyPekoe

• Cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 08:52:32 PM »
If you want to hear snide comments, try being FROM Iowa.  And I love Iowa!  I was just there for three fun-filled weeks, I honestly think that Des Moines is shaping up to be one of the coolest cities in the Midwest, and I would happily move back there from Colorado if I found a job.
I'm cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!  Join me on my quest :)
www.thejoyofthejoyofcooking.blogspot.com

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »
We got that years ago (about 25) when we decided to visit Newfoundland (we're from BC).  Even my own grandfather was joining the "who would want to go there?" contingent (he was stuck there for a little while during WW II).  We went and we loved it; the hospitality is out-of-this-world.

Now of course, it's considered a must-see destination within North America.  What can we say, we were pioneers... :)

Honestly, don't worry about what other people say.  Some of these folks may have their summer cottages just a couple of hours away, and never go anywhere else.  You want to see more.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »
I can believe it, Lady Pekoe.    DH and I were seriously considering moving out to Iowa, to the town my friend lives in.   When I told someone else this who works as a special ed teacher at various schools in the county, she said "But what about your boys education?  The schools out there aren't very good!"  >:(

Mind you, when we realized that a move to Iowa wasn't really feasible for us now (DH couldn't find work in the Cedar Rapids area he's qualified to do), we settled on the town we live in now, in Washington Co., MD.   I asked the same woman who deemed Iowa schools lacking if she knew how schools are in this county.   She had no idea.    ::)  

And Kareng, I'm with you on the hospitality.  I met some of N's coworkers while I was there and when I declared I loved the town and would love to live there, these people I'd known for all of about one day said "Yes!! Please move!"  N told me that one girl was quite bummed when she found out we wouldn't be able to move out there.   :D :D   I don't think I've felt as instantly accepted anywhere in my life before then.   It was great!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
Well, I would never move back there, actually, but I think Iowa's pretty neat. But like Lady Pekoe, I sometimes get that same reaction.

My favorite was the "what to people do there?" incredulity.

I said, "Well, they get up in the morning and go to the bathroom. Then they take a shower, and eat breakfast. Then they go to work. For some people, that's farming, or one of the businesses that support farming, like selling tractors. Or they sell insurance, or they teach, or they fix cars, or they do accounting, or they're doctors. And then they have lunch, and work some more. When they get home, they talk to the kids, help them with homework, watch TV and go to bed. Isn't that what people do pretty  much anywhere?"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 10:26:55 PM »
Good answer, Toots!! :D :D