Author Topic: Rude responses to travel plans/regional superiority  (Read 16997 times)

KaosP

Re: Rude responses to travel plans/regional superiority
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »
We got that years ago (about 25) when we decided to visit Newfoundland (we're from BC).  Even my own grandfather was joining the "who would want to go there?" contingent (he was stuck there for a little while during WW II).  We went and we loved it; the hospitality is out-of-this-world.

Now of course, it's considered a must-see destination within North America.  What can we say, we were pioneers... :)

Honestly, don't worry about what other people say.  Some of these folks may have their summer cottages just a couple of hours away, and never go anywhere else.  You want to see more.

My husband and I went to Newfoundland to visit friends for our honeymoon!! What a wonderful place, somewhere every Canadian should visit, if only to understand our history.

But our friends' daughter's reaction was, "Why would you want to come here?!?!"

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »
We got something similar when we told my late FIL that we'd love to go to Europe someday.  DH and I love to travel.  FIL's comments was "I was in Europe, it was a mess!".  He was there during WWII.

My response?  "I think they've cleaned it up since then."   >:D

DH shot me a glare.

CuriousGeorge

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 11:46:27 AM »
If you want to hear snide comments, try being FROM Iowa.  And I love Iowa!  I was just there for three fun-filled weeks, I honestly think that Des Moines is shaping up to be one of the coolest cities in the Midwest, and I would happily move back there from Colorado if I found a job.

If going by the comments in this thread (that posters have heard, not actually said ;) ), I'm a super loser, because not only was I born and raised in a small town in Iowa, I moved to Omaha 10 years ago and have yet to leave for somewhere more "interesting".   ::)

Taxes and perpetual road construction aside, I quite like it here.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 11:53:06 AM »
My friend who lives in Iowa was born and raised in the town she lives in now.  She moved to Tennessee for ten years then moved back and refuses to move from Iowa again!   She's oft said "The day I move out of this house is the day they carry me out feet-first!"

If DH had been able to find a job out there, we'd so be out there, too.   We're going back to visit though.   Not this year, since my friend's coming to see us, but maybe next year.   We'll be driving out though, since it's cheaper to drive the 800 or so miles than it is to buy plane tickets for the 4 of us.   

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Nora

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
Drats, I made fun of my friend and her DF going to Iceland for a week.  :-[ In my defense, we are that type of friends (have been since high school), she was taking a cruise, and it was in the autumn. That pretty much makes it my nightmare vacation (I don't do boats, and Iceland in the rain...)

She howerever is doing a doctorate in oceanography, and her DF is a meteorologist (match made in heaven), and they are the type that absolutely HATED going to Paris.  ;)

Different tastes make for  :o reactions, but to not-as-close friend you should not go on and on about your distaste of their vacation. Afterall, you are not going with them.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »
When I was in Europe a European mentioned that he heard the only things in the States worth seeing was New York, San Fran and Vegas and asked me to confirm it. I have to admit I was so shocked I nodded yes.

The next time someone said that to me I answered, "No, the States are filled with hundreds of different types of culture and very few cities are similar to each other. there's great shows on the travel channels if you'd like to learn more".

Truthfully, it's all marketing. The farms of Minnesota are just as pretty as the vineyards of France. But some people would never believe that in a million years. (I will admit, the food might be better in the vineyards, and this is coming from someone who loves fried cheese curds)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 12:59:52 PM »
I think if you're friends and that's the way you joke around with each other, that's fine.   But yeah, if you're not so close to the person, it can come off as rude.   

I did have one neighbor who, when I told her about my friend's hometown upon returning she said "Oh man, if you move out there, I'm so following you because that sounds like MY kind of place!"  lol.

The place I was living in was in a busy part of Maryland, right near rt 29 and 95 and both beltways, 695 and 495.  So it was getting really, really built up around there and a lot of the people I knew while we lived there really didn't mind it at all.    In fact a lot of them thought it was truly the BEST place in the US to live and couldn't get why anyone would want to live anywhere else.   

DH and I however deemed it a "Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there!"   When an old friend from college learned I was looking to move to her hometown in a more rural, less built up part of the state, she said "You might not like it, it doesn't have as much culture as you're probably used to where you are."   *snort*    As it was, I really wasn't partaking in much of the culture in our area, either!  Most of it was too expensive, anyway. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LadyPekoe

• Cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »
My friend who lives in Iowa was born and raised in the town she lives in now.  She moved to Tennessee for ten years then moved back and refuses to move from Iowa again!   She's oft said "The day I move out of this house is the day they carry me out feet-first!"

If DH had been able to find a job out there, we'd so be out there, too.   We're going back to visit though.   Not this year, since my friend's coming to see us, but maybe next year.   We'll be driving out though, since it's cheaper to drive the 800 or so miles than it is to buy plane tickets for the 4 of us.   

Go during the fair.  The Iowa State Fair is one of the best in the country (I would say THE best but I'm biased :) ).  I try to go back--I've only missed one and I haven't lived in Iowa since 2003.  The best time to be young and in Des Moines is the caucus--the bars are so much fun!  So many politicos and press around :)
I'm cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!  Join me on my quest :)
www.thejoyofthejoyofcooking.blogspot.com

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
I think if you're friends and that's the way you joke around with each other, that's fine.   But yeah, if you're not so close to the person, it can come off as rude.   

I did have one neighbor who, when I told her about my friend's hometown upon returning she said "Oh man, if you move out there, I'm so following you because that sounds like MY kind of place!"  lol.

The place I was living in was in a busy part of Maryland, right near rt 29 and 95 and both beltways, 695 and 495.  So it was getting really, really built up around there and a lot of the people I knew while we lived there really didn't mind it at all.    In fact a lot of them thought it was truly the BEST place in the US to live and couldn't get why anyone would want to live anywhere else.   

DH and I however deemed it a "Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there!"   When an old friend from college learned I was looking to move to her hometown in a more rural, less built up part of the state, she said "You might not like it, it doesn't have as much culture as you're probably used to where you are."   *snort*    As it was, I really wasn't partaking in much of the culture in our area, either!  Most of it was too expensive, anyway. 

I live in south Baltimore.  I actually like living here but wouldn't mind going to say, the eastern part of West Virginia.  Close enough to Baltimore and DC to still go do "city things" when the mood strikes but far enough out in the country to see the stars.  People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them I actually want to live in W VA.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »
Go during the fair.  The Iowa State Fair is one of the best in the country (I would say THE best but I'm biased  ).  I try to go back--I've only missed one and I haven't lived in Iowa since 2003.  The best time to be young and in Des Moines is the caucus--the bars are so much fun!  So many politicos and press around

Oh, I've heard it's cool!  Especially the butter cow!!  LOL!   Speaking of butter, or rather something people put butter on, I freaking LOVE Iowa Sweet Corn!!    My friend kept telling me "You'll have to have sweet corn when you're out here, it's better than anything you've ever had!"   She was right. 

We got a bunch of it on my last day there to have with dinner, spread Kerrygold Irish butter over it and salt.   I thought I'd just about died and gone to heaven.   Bought some sweet corn when I came back to Maryland and just not the same. 

I live in south Baltimore.  I actually like living here but wouldn't mind going to say, the eastern part of West Virginia.  Close enough to Baltimore and DC to still go do "city things" when the mood strikes but far enough out in the country to see the stars.  People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them I actually want to live in W VA.

I've heard a lot of people have been moving out to western Maryland, near where I am, because they're tired of things getting so built up in the Baltimore and Washington areas.   

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »

I think Iowa is just one of those places it is fun to tease about. Omaha, too. They’ve got that nice lilt that makes them fun to say and are perceived as being full of nothing but tumbleweeds and crickets; I would think it is all in good fun.

…says the girl from New Jersey  :P ;)

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
If you want to hear snide comments, try being FROM Iowa.  And I love Iowa!  I was just there for three fun-filled weeks, I honestly think that Des Moines is shaping up to be one of the coolest cities in the Midwest, and I would happily move back there from Colorado if I found a job.

My mother was born and raised in Sioux City.  I wouldn't dream of criticizing Iowa.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 09:18:33 PM »
Go during the fair.  The Iowa State Fair is one of the best in the country (I would say THE best but I'm biased  ).  I try to go back--I've only missed one and I haven't lived in Iowa since 2003.  The best time to be young and in Des Moines is the caucus--the bars are so much fun!  So many politicos and press around

Oh, I've heard it's cool!  Especially the butter cow!!  LOL!   Speaking of butter, or rather something people put butter on, I freaking LOVE Iowa Sweet Corn!!    My friend kept telling me "You'll have to have sweet corn when you're out here, it's better than anything you've ever had!"   She was right.  

We got a bunch of it on my last day there to have with dinner, spread Kerrygold Irish butter over it and salt.   I thought I'd just about died and gone to heaven.   Bought some sweet corn when I came back to Maryland and just not the same.  

I live in south Baltimore.  I actually like living here but wouldn't mind going to say, the eastern part of West Virginia.  Close enough to Baltimore and DC to still go do "city things" when the mood strikes but far enough out in the country to see the stars.  People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them I actually want to live in W VA.

I've heard a lot of people have been moving out to western Maryland, near where I am, because they're tired of things getting so built up in the Baltimore and Washington areas.  

"You Really Ought To Give Iowa A Try" - darn it, you folks have me thinking of The Music Man.  They had so much Trouble, Right There in River City.

And it actually does sound like a very fine state.

Edited for correct words.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:23:01 PM by kareng57 »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 10:30:48 PM »
I love The Music Man.  Saw it the first time last summer when I was visiting my friend in Iowa.   It's so funny how they playfully poke fun at Iowans in the movie.   But they can do that since Meredith Wilson was an Iowan.

And I've been told he composed the Hawkeyes fight song.   

"We're gonna fight! Fight! Fight for Iowa, till the walls and rafters ring!  GO HAWKS!!"   Yeah, I know the fight song.  :D :D

Some of my favorite lines of "Music Man":

"Mighty fine animal you got there!"
"For a horse!"
"Can you direct me to the center of town?"
"Sure.  Runs right up the middle of the street!"
"Excuse me, could you direct me to a fine hotel?"
"Try the Palmer house in Chicago!"
"Say, I'm new in town, what do you alll do around here for fun?"
"Mind our business!"

"Whatever these Iowa folk don't have already they do without!"

"What's new around here?"
"Well...yesterday a farmer came into a town that had three yolks!"
"Three yolks, eh?  Well what do people talk about?"
"Well there's the weather...when it's in season!"

And my favorite lines from one of my favorite songs, sung by my favorite character, Mrs. Paroo (partly because she reminds me of my Iowan friend):

"I know all about your standards an' if ye don't mind me sayin' so,
There's not a man alive who can hope to measure up
To that blend o' Paul Bunyan, St. Pat an' Noah Webster ye've concocted for yerself
Out o' your Irish imagination, your Iowa stubborness and you're li'berry full o' books!"

"Alrigh', Alrigh, but it's a well known fact that if ye keep the flint in one drawer and th' steel in another, you'll never strike much of a fire!"

"Set down, I've got some jelly on the stove!"
"Mama, you don't have any jelly on the stove!"
"Well I'll PUT some on!" 

Last one, I promise! 

(After Prof. Hill has asked Marian to meet him at the footbridge and she says yes, and he leaves)
"Saints be praised, it works!"
"What works, Mama?"
"The Think System!! I've been usin' it on ye from the parlor!"

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 12:08:12 AM »
I love The Music Man.  Saw it the first time last summer when I was visiting my friend in Iowa.   It's so funny how they playfully poke fun at Iowans in the movie.   But they can do that since Meredith Wilson was an Iowan.

And I've been told he composed the Hawkeyes fight song.   

"We're gonna fight! Fight! Fight for Iowa, till the walls and rafters ring!  GO HAWKS!!"   Yeah, I know the fight song.  :D :D

Some of my favorite lines of "Music Man":

"Mighty fine animal you got there!"
"For a horse!"
"Can you direct me to the center of town?"
"Sure.  Runs right up the middle of the street!"
"Excuse me, could you direct me to a fine hotel?"
"Try the Palmer house in Chicago!"
"Say, I'm new in town, what do you alll do around here for fun?"
"Mind our business!"

"Whatever these Iowa folk don't have already they do without!"

"What's new around here?"
"Well...yesterday a farmer came into a town that had three yolks!"
"Three yolks, eh?  Well what do people talk about?"
"Well there's the weather...when it's in season!"

And my favorite lines from one of my favorite songs, sung by my favorite character, Mrs. Paroo (partly because she reminds me of my Iowan friend):

"I know all about your standards an' if ye don't mind me sayin' so,
There's not a man alive who can hope to measure up
To that blend o' Paul Bunyan, St. Pat an' Noah Webster ye've concocted for yerself
Out o' your Irish imagination, your Iowa stubborness and you're li'berry full o' books!"

"Alrigh', Alrigh, but it's a well known fact that if ye keep the flint in one drawer and th' steel in another, you'll never strike much of a fire!"

"Set down, I've got some jelly on the stove!"
"Mama, you don't have any jelly on the stove!"
"Well I'll PUT some on!" 

Last one, I promise! 

(After Prof. Hill has asked Marian to meet him at the footbridge and she says yes, and he leaves)
"Saints be praised, it works!"
"What works, Mama?"
"The Think System!! I've been usin' it on ye from the parlor!"

Ah yes.  Mrs. Paroo is also my favourite character in the musical.

Interestingly enough, about 20 years ago on Sesame Street there was a skit about the letter T, titled "Trouble".  It was a dead ringer for the River City song and was a hoot.  My young kids enjoyed it even without knowing its origin (and actually Dh and I watched it with them at the time).  But apparently that's how Sesame Street did things, during that time, anyway.  The realisation was that kids learned better when there was an adult present, so why not make it entertaining to the adults, too?  At the same time, I will admit that the skit with Susan Sarandon holding a newspaper over her head in the rain outside a castle -  while the Count eagerly counted the door-knocks -  went right past me till someone else on this site enlightened me.  Okay, I'm slow on the uptake.