Author Topic: Actually used it...doormat getting a backbone here.  (Read 3645 times)

Ginderette

• Working on my Social Interaction +1 Skill...
Actually used it...doormat getting a backbone here.
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:43:27 AM »
BG: I have a co-worker that seems to always want to 'take' from me, but when she doesn't need anything from me, I don't exist. She won't say hi to me when she stops by at work but she'll talk to the other person I'm working with. She's also very pushy when regarding duties done at work. (It's not okay for me to finish up what she started, but it's perfectly acceptable for her to do that to me. Cat-math applied logic here. ::) )

She called me on a day I had off:

CW: Whatcha doing?
Me: Getting dressed. (Night owl here, out-of-bed in the AM is only done with serious bribes of Starbucks.)
CW: Can you work for me today 2-7?  My sinuses are acting up and I don't feel good.
Me: Sorry, I'm afraid that's not possible since I don't have my uniforms clean.
CW: *grunts and hangs up*

Not even five minutes later, she calls again. I didn't bother even picking it up while feeling thankful for the invention of caller ID. (Before the prior conversation, she used to be able to talk me into covering for her after I told her no when I'd pick up the second time.  :-[ )

I'll admit it was very hard for me to keep Evil Ginderette stuffed in the box for I feel that if she really was feeling that crummy, she'd actually call earlier then an hour before showing up for work - unless it was an emergency. I have reason to suspect that the good weather and payday were the real culprits...for she sounded fine last night (when I tried to talk to her about something work related but she didn't want to really give me the time of day) and she didn't sound stuffy to me at all when she called. 

Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but if I feel like death warmed over the day before I'm suppose to work I will call my manager so they can get back ups in place just in case I feel the same way tomorrow. I think calling an hour before and non-emergency excuse just seems so rude to me. (Bares to mention that I didn't buy to her 'sinusitis' excuse for I have flare ups so bad it's torture to even keep my head up, let alone think; and symptoms of that don't just start an hour 'fore work!)

It's really freeing now for she's not 'take-take-take' from me like she used to, (Can I borrow money, I'll pay you back, etc.) She's also a little less bossy and pushy to me too.
"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." ~ Mark Twain

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
Re: Actually used it...doormat getting a backbone here.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:01:35 AM »
Go Ginderette!! Of course, now she's really going to ignore you, but it doesn't sound like that's going to bother you too much.  ;) Congrats on your new found spine.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Nora

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
Good for you! Now continue to flex that spine!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

chibichan

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:04:44 AM »
Aren't spines great ? Yours is coming along beautifully !

The next step - putting a period after " I'm afraid that won't be possible . "

Because really , does this obnoxious woman even deserve a reason why you won't do her job for her ?

I think not . ( <--- you can also use this when you get tired of saying the above. )

The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.