Author Topic: Wish I Had Used It - But My Brain Misfired  (Read 7163 times)

BeagleMommy

Wish I Had Used It - But My Brain Misfired
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:26:57 AM »
If I get sent to eHell for this I'll gladly serve my penance.  We've had construction on the water lines on my street for the past 7 months.  This morning they are here again.  This company was hired by the city and they have to keep coming back because they either don't repair the street properly or they break water lines.  I guess you get what you pay for (they put in the cheapest bid to the city).

Anyway, I went to walk the mall this morning and there are trucks all over my street.  When I returned from the mall there is a large dump truck parked in my driveway.  Not in front of it; in it.  They are not supposed to park on private property and have been told this before.  I parked in front of my neighbor's house to pick up DS and drive him to school.  Here's the conversation:

Me:  Would you please move the truck out of my driveway?
Idiot Worker:  You have to move your car.  We're bringing trucks up here.
Me:  I live in that house (points to my house).  Please move the truck out of my driveway.
IW:  How long are you going to be?
Me:  As soon as my son is ready to leave for school I'll be out of the way.  Please move the truck.

I go in the house, DS was putting on his shoes and I ran a washcloth over my face.  I was seriously only there five minutes when I hear banging on my front door.  DS grabs the beagle (who is going ballistic) and I come to the door.  The truck is now gone.

IW:  If you don't move your car I'm going to have it towed!
Me:  I live here.
IW:  I know you live here.  If you don't move it I'll have it towed.
Me:  Okay, go ahead and try!  I'll be out of here in five minutes.  If I see your truck in my driveway I'll call the police and have it towed so don't put it on private property again.

I know I was probably rude, but the frustration took over when the IW got huffy and snarky.  I was not staying there.  I know construction crews have schedules they have to meet and if I were going to be there all day I would have parked elsewhere.  Five minutes would not have thrown their schedule off.

DH thought the entire thing was funny when I told him.  Was the IW rude as well?

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
Re: Wish I Had Used It - But My Brain Misfired
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »
The worker was beyond rude.  You were fine.  You asked him to move, nicely, and he responded by threatening to have your car towed from the street because HE was blocking your driveway?
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:38:52 AM »
Every company I have ever dealt with that had a large truck (and certainly a dump truck) would absolutely REFUSE to park in someone's driveway unless specifically directed to do so by the homeowner, and not until AFTER the homeowner has signed a damage waiver.  Those trucks are heavy, and unless a driveway is reinforced with rebar inside the concrete, it can be severely damaged.  That truck driver was lucky he didn't damage your driveway.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »
One of DH's coworkers lives on the same street.  The same IW was at his door at 6:00 am  :o telling him to move his car!  I just found all this out when I called DH at lunch time.

Is there a head banging smiley?

eltf177

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:24:14 PM »
Call downtown and have a chat with the mayor and the director of your local public works. Make the situation clear and that this company will be held responsible for any damage done to your property. Also make it clear that you don't appreciate their not following the rules and bullying the local voters/taxpayers (_that_ gets the politician's attention).

KaosP

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »

I lol'd at this. If anyone finds one, please post it!!

something.new.every.day

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:51:49 PM »
Call downtown and have a chat with the mayor and the director of your local public works. Make the situation clear and that this company will be held responsible for any damage done to your property. Also make it clear that you don't appreciate their not following the rules and bullying the local voters/taxpayers (_that_ gets the politician's attention).

pod

Mrs. Pilgrim

• I use cleaning for therapy. The carpets don't brag about needing cleaning, and the dishes don't diss me.
  • I love waffles--but only the food kind.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 06:11:36 PM »
Oy vey!  "Get your car out of your driveway so I can go back to trespassing"?  Yeah, I'd like to see him explain THAT one to the cops...
"Use the proper word, not its second cousin." --Mark Twain, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:36:25 PM »

Contact Public Works.  That's the department they're contracted to (I used to work my city's PW).  If it's contracted for utilities, head for that subdepartment.  The mayor's too broad.  You need to talk to someone closer to the project but who still has authority. 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 06:45:38 PM »
One of DH's coworkers lives on the same street.  The same IW was at his door at 6:00 am  :o telling him to move his car!  I just found all this out when I called DH at lunch time.

Will this do?

The IW was so out of line that he's not even in the same zip code!  Next time, call the police.  As for this time, call the Water Department that hired these IWs and tell them exactly what you told us.  The construction manager should make sure that the contractor does not park their truck illegally again and warn them against threatening customers.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

missmolly

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
You were not rude at all IMHO. The guy threatens to have your car towed when he's blocking your driveway. That kind of entitlement would send my indignation through the roof.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 07:36:03 PM »
You were not rude at all IMHO. The guy threatens to have your car towed when he's blocking your driveway. That kind of entitlement would send my indignation through the roof.

Or, in this case, when guy is illegally parked in your driveway.  He's trespassing on private property and HE has the attitude!! The mind, it boggles.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Asharah

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 08:36:50 PM »

Plus some hair pulling!
Asharah

hollasa

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »
Oy vey!  "Get your car out of your driveway so I can go back to trespassing"?  Yeah, I'd like to see him explain THAT one to the cops...

The impression that I got from the OP was that it was "Get your car off the road so we can get some work done", rather than "get the car out of your driveway".

Of course, the reason the car was in the road was because the worker's truck was in the driveway!

OP, I don't think you were rude, and I'd also call to report this.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 09:05:28 AM »

That man was rude. You were fine.

Asharah: You are brilliant!  ;D
Stewart/Colbert '16