Author Topic: Wish I Had Used It - But My Brain Misfired  (Read 7184 times)

kudeebee

Re: Wish I Had Used It - But My Brain Misfired
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 11:42:06 PM »
When it happens again, if it does, take pictures as proof!

You were not rude, IW certainly was.

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
wow. just wow.

although it reminds me of one a coworker told me a few years ago...both of us had a commute from a tiny little town about 30 miles from where we actually worker

he lived just barely inside city limits, where the speed limit dropped from highway (55mph) to city (35mph)...one evening he was coming home, and his driveway was occupied by a city policeman, parked to snag speeders (almost the only funding the town gets is those tickets). So, he puts on his turn signal, and comes to a complete stop, waiting for the cop to get the hint, and more (driveway has steep ditches on either side, so pulling around was not an option). And continues to wait, for what I'm told was quite some time, making the policeman rather angry...

so the cop gets out of the car, and walks up to my coworker's truck, telling him that he needs to move his vehicle or will be receiving a ticket for obstructing the roadway...coworker informed him that he would be glad to move, just as soon as his PERSONAL DRIVEWAY was cleared, so that he could turn in, as he was signaling his desire to do

my father-in-law lives down the street from him, and regularly has the same problem, without the ditches...the cops have figured out that when they see the blue mustang convertible pull up, they need to vacate, and quickly

phoenix

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »
Ouch, that's rude.  I feel your pain...I live in an apartment complex, and maintenance for some reason decided that one of the assigned parking spots (clearly marked, but in a separate area from the others) was their spot.  Not only did they always take that poor tenants spot when working on the building, they once left a nasty note on her windshield one morning when she was parked in her spot, informing her that if she did not move her vehicle it would be towed!

She took a photo and the note in to our apartment landlords office.  She still had to work for about 20 minutes to get the staff to realize the problem- that maintenance was threatening to tow her out of her own spot so that they could park there!  The next day, her spot had it's own personal "tenant parking only" sign.

Danismom

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 08:47:40 AM »
I thought the same thing about the dump truck damaging your driveway.  If they dare do it again, I 'd be sure to write down the truck's plate # and take a picture for proof before calling the city yet again.

Personally I'd write the city and follow up with a call about your frustration with these guys parking in your driveway.  If you are annoyed enough, talk to an attorney to see if the city is equally liable with the company for any damage to your private property.  Its a possibility since the city has contracted with the company for services.  I suspect that if the city doesn't take reasonable steps to enforce the prevention of contracted company drivers parking on private property, then they would be similarly liable.  If you find out that they would be, I would include that juicy tidbit in my letters.  You may also decide to have your attorney write them a letter or get a "no trespassing" order against the company to stay off your property.

I guess it depends on how far you want to take it -- if it's a once in a great while thing or if its an every day thing.

Either way -- IW was so far over the line he couldn't even see it any more.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »
My mom had a similar incident the other day. She just moved into her new house, and came home to find an SUV parked in her driveway.  So she looks around, and thinks maybe its some of the construction workers, as several houses down the street from her are in the process of being built.  So she sits for a minute, and then sees a woman with a clipboard walking down towards her driveway.  She motions for the woman to come over, and the woman said, can i help you?  Mom said, why are you parked in MY driveway???  The woman said, Oh, Oh, i'm so sorry, i didn't think the house was occupied, etc.  Um, there is stuff on the front porch, etc.  so not sure why she thought that.

She then said, well, what can i do, and mom, being frustrated, said you can get your blank car out of my driveway!!!  Turned out it was the tax assessor!!!!  had it been me, i woudl have parked at the end, blocking her in, but mom is in a wheelchair, so that wasn't possible.  She was NOT happy though, and I don't blame her.  And...there was plenty of parking ON THE STREET a little further down. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »
And what was the tax assessor's reaction to being told by a woman in a wheelchair that she shouldn't park in other people's driveways?  I would hope that she was extremely embarrassed...........
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
I don't know if she knew mom was in a wheelchair....i was just amazed someone thought it was ok.  And there are rocking chairs on teh porch, etc. so it LOOKS like someone lives there.

Amava

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »
You were not rude, you were firm.
Rude would be: "Get your godforsaken dingiwingidang truck out of my freaking driveway, you idiot!"

You just civilly pointed out where he was wrong and what the consequences would be if he didn't correct his mistake.

Edited to add: throwing things at his truck would be rude, too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:46:22 PM by Amava »

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 01:58:14 PM »
I encourage your mom to call the county tax assessor's office and talk to the elected/appointed official and perhaps also the county representative for her area.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 05:54:43 PM »
BeagleMommy, could you give us an update please?
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Orisha

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 11:28:17 PM »
It's epidemic, apparently.  My ILs used to live across the street from a church (where they also worshipped).  People they didn't know used to park in their driveway for mass.  My DH and I arrived for a family XMas party one night and some snotty woman pulled her SUV right into their driveway and then got all snotty when she was told to leave.