News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 20, 2017, 04:38:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Delicious lamb stew-soup recipe!  (Read 882 times)

kitty_ev

Delicious lamb stew-soup recipe!
« on: April 08, 2010, 03:45:59 PM »
Thought I'd share this with you all. We spent Easter with my parents, and my mother very kindly sent us home with the majority of a leg of lamb that was left over. Now, my FH and I don't like cold lamb and I wasn't sure how best to reheat it to keep it moist, so I decided to make a soup. I was made something similar a while ago but couldn't remember it exactly and didn't have all the ingredients at home so altered it when I made it. It was so yummy I thought I'd share. Sorry I don't have exact quantities- when making soup I tend to be fairly gung-ho and I only use exact quantities when baking- but I've got an idea of how much I used. This soup isn't pureed, so it's best to chop the veggies into bite-size pieces. Also, it's best to do the swede smaller than the other veggies as it takes longer to cook. This isn't a posh soup to entertain with, it's more of a rustic and hearty soup. It's got a lovely sweet and smoky flavour.

Ingredients:
Lamb (cooked or raw. Whatever quantity you can afford- more makes for a heartier stew) If using something with bones, leave them in during cooking and remove before serving as they add fantastic flavour.
Tinned, chopped tomatoes
tomato puree
a few diced onions
a few diced carrots
about half a head of celery, diced
1 diced swede (I think this is known as rutabaga in the USA)
a few diced turnips
3-4 minced cloves of garlic
a few diced potatoes (waxy ones are better. Sweet potatoes would probably be lovely too, but use white as well)
Around 1 litre of stock (I used stock cubes and made it up double strength- 2 lamb cubes and 2 veggie cubes)
olive oil
salt and pepper
smoked paprika
paprika
caraway seeds

1) Using a large pan, heat a tablespoon or so of oil. Add the onions, garlic and lamb (even if it's cooked already) and fry until the onions are starting to colour. Don't let it burn. If the lamb sticks to the base of the pan, add a spoon or two of white wine vinegar.
2) Throw in the chopped tomatoes and a tablespoon or two of tomato puree. Cover and simmer for about half an hour so you get a tasty tomato sauce. Add a sprinkle of sugar or a teaspoon of honey to bring out the flavour of the tomatoes if you'd like.
3) Add in all the veggies and the stock. If you've not got enough stock, use a more dilute stock or water alone to top it up. The stock should almost cover the veggies. Stir in about half a teaspoon of paprika (less if it's very hot), about 3 teaspoons of smoked paprika (it's not too spicy, don't worry!) and a teaspoon of caraway seeds. Cover and simmer until the veggies are tender.
4) Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in generous portions with crusty bread.

If you try it, I hope you like it!

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?