General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Liz Taylor Wheelchair Etiquette

(1/9) > >>

Carnation:
I just saw a photo of Liz Taylor and her supposed fiance.

http://tinyurl.com/y7fmh8h

Note, he is holding her hand and some assistant (or Jim Cantore ;)is pushing her wheelchair.

To me, it just seems wrong that Mr. Winters is not pushing her wheelchair, but allowing someone else that privilege. 

Perhaps she wants to hold his hand, I don't know.  It just looks awkward.

Agree?

Disagree?

camlan:
My guess is that the person pushing the wheelchair is a paid attendant and pushing the wheelchair is part of his job responsibilities.

Some adults with disabilities prefer that their spouse or SO is not a caregiver, if at all possible. They prefer that the boundaries between spouse and caregiver not get too blurred. Of course, the finances of the average person often require that the SO be a caregiver and they simply have no choice.

hot_shaker:

--- Quote from: camlan on April 10, 2010, 04:01:46 PM ---My guess is that the person pushing the wheelchair is a paid attendant and pushing the wheelchair is part of his job responsibilities.

Some adults with disabilities prefer that their spouse or SO is not a caregiver, if at all possible. They prefer that the boundaries between spouse and caregiver not get too blurred. Of course, the finances of the average person often require that the SO be a caregiver and they simply have no choice.

--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinking.  Liz certainly has the money.  I could see her wanting - and being able - to keep the roles of significant other and caregiver separate.  If I were in the same situation, I wouldn't want my significant other to have to take care of me.

Carnation:
I don't know, they don't have to take over the entire role of caregiving, just pushing the wheelchair.   

BTW, Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband pushes her wheelchair.

http://tinyurl.com/y94reyv

hot_shaker:
I think either way is fine.  If she wants him at her side and holding her hand, I think that's nice.  If she want him to push her, that's fine too. :)

Also, that's only one picture, which appears to be on a red carpet.  Does he normally push her chair?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version