News:

• April 19, 2018, 12:58:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Additions to pasta salad?  (Read 5539 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Additions to pasta salad?
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:42:19 AM »
I've decided to make myself a large helping of pasta salad that will last me for several meals.  My usual approach is to mix up pasta with some random chopped veg, maybe some tuna, feta cheese and drizzle it with olive oil. I was wondering if anyone had any good pasta salad recipes they could share? Or suggestions of other additional (or simply alternative) ingredients I can add into a basic pasta salad?
<3

Brentwood

Re: Additions to pasta salad?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:56:56 AM »
I sometimes make pasta salad with chopped black olives, chopped pimiento, chopped bell pepper (red or yellow), onion, cubed cheese, and Kraft Roasted Red Pepper Italian dressing. You can add meat to that too - cubed ham or sliced pepperoni is good.

WolfWay

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:59:30 AM »
Mmmmm... olives.  ;D  Why didn't I think of that? I was in the olive shop getting myself some infused olive oil (basil, garlic and pepper) for my salad yesterday. I can't believe I didn't get olives as well. <facepalm>
<3

cicero

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:32:25 AM »
I don't make huge bowls of pasta salad - what i do is cook a box of pasta (i use the whole wheat), mix it with olive oil (or homemade vinaigrette) while still warm and then stick in the fridge. That's the base - then each day you can make a different version of pasta salad - sometimes i just throw a handful into my regular veg salad.

here is one salad that i really love, from http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/salad/pasta_salads/pastasaladgreek01.html :

Pasta Salad, Greek (D, TNT)
Source: A neighbor
Serves: About 8

1 pound spinach pasta curly noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, sliced in thin strips, roasted first then peeled
1 jar or can black olives, drained
1/2 box cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in halves if large
1 4 to 6-ounce package feta cheese, rinsed to cut the salt, then sliced
1 red onion, sliced thinly or 2 scallions, chopped

Dressing:
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried mint
Salt
Pepper

Combine the pasta with the bell pepper, black olives, onions, tomatoes, and feta cheese.

Mix the dressing ingredients and combine all. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust the oil, vinegar mixture. The bell pepper juices may be enough without more vinegar.

About the dressing: you may also use instead of the dressing here a bottled Greek oil and vinegar dressing.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

blarg314

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 04:51:07 AM »

Some good combinations

Greek Themed; Tomato (either fresh, or use drained canned), black olives, onion and feta cheese, dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and dill or thyme.

Asian Themed: Broccoli (lightly cooked), baby corn, red peppers and green onions, with a dressing of sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and lime, with a sprinkling of toasted sesamed seeds. Works well with long Asian noodles.

Caesar Salad Themed; Chopped cooked chicken, torn up romaine lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, chopped celery, green onions, dressed with creamy caesar dressing and grated parmesan.

Mexican themed; cooked beans, onion, celery, green peppers, cubed or shredded cheddar cheese, shredded or chopped cooked beef. Dress with some pureed tomato sauce flavoured with lots of chili powder and some tabasco sauce.

WolfWay

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:36:33 AM »
Oh my, those do all sound so good. =) Thank you! I shall have to go shopping on my way home now.  ;D
<3

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 06:05:22 AM »
Tuna Pasta Salad

1/2 Packet of elbow macceroni (the smallest size you can get)
1 Large can of tuna in brie, drained.
1 Punnet cherry tomatos sliced in either halves or quarters
1 Can extra sweet corn kernels, drained.
2-3 Stalks of spring onion finely chopped.
1 Bottle thousand island dressing.

Cook pasta, drain. When cool, add the rest of the ingradients. Fantastic for BBQ's.
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.

WolfWay

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 06:08:56 AM »
I spent a good minute thinking "Wow, people put canned tuna in Brie sauce?? Wonder what that tastes like?" then I realised you meant brine. (Oh, I do so very much hope you mean brine).  ;)
<3

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:10:33 AM »
Add some toasted pine nuts and basil leaves for a "pesto" flavor. 

I've made this pasta salad below several times, it's our favorite.  Just made it for Easter dinner and it was a hit.  Found it at allrecipes.com:

Fabulous Pesto Pasta Salad

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup chopped fresh oregano
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (we used parsley instead)
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 (4 ounce) package grated Parmesan cheese

4 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
6 green onions, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can minced black olives (we used slice olives)
1 (16 ounce) package farfalle (bow tie) pasta
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, salt, pepper, onion powder, mustard, garlic, basil, oregano, cilantro, hot pepper sauce, red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, and Parmesan cheese. Add the tomatoes, green onions and olives to the bowl, and stir to coat. Refrigerate.

2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook for 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and rinse with cold water to cool. Add pasta to the bowl of dressing, and mix well. Top with mozzarella cheese and pine nuts. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

Serves: 8
Prep Time: 15
Cooking Time: 15
Ready In: 1 Hour 30 Minutes

WolfWay

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 06:11:58 AM »
Are green onions the same as spring onions? Little itty bitty ones? Look like miniature leeks?
<3

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 06:44:49 AM »
My recipe is in the cookbook folder, but one can always add shrimp to it.  My Cajun boiled shrimp recipe is also there.

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 08:40:17 AM »
I spent a good minute thinking "Wow, people put canned tuna in Brie sauce?? Wonder what that tastes like?" then I realised you meant brine. (Oh, I do so very much hope you mean brine).  ;)

LOL, sorry yes, I mean brine!

And spring onions are the long green stalky ones, if that makes sense.
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Are green onions the same as spring onions? Little itty bitty ones? Look like miniature leeks?

Sounds right!  If I'm using a lot (like six in my pesto salad), I just use the green parts.

Mikayla

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 09:58:14 AM »

Yes.  And to further confuse the issue, in parts of the US people persist in calling them chives!

I refer to them as scallions.

marcel

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 02:59:26 PM »
I usually also put in some (red) pesto, and canned sun-dried tomatoes.
Wherever you go..... There you are.