Author Topic: eHell unsafe? NO! UPDATE as of 05/09  (Read 11022 times)

wheeitsme

eHell unsafe? NO! UPDATE as of 05/09
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:40:13 AM »
My security program just stopped me from going on eHell and told me it was unsafe and home to viruses.  It advised me not to continue on to hear.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:13:32 PM by Ehelldame »

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
Re: eHell unsafe?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:57:59 AM »
I'm not sure it's related, but I've gotten a virus/malware twice in the last few days when logged into almost nothing else.  ASAM.exe mimics a virus protection program and locks up everything else.  Tonight it started randomly rebooting.  I did a system restore each time.  I think it's about to happen again right now, and I am currently using chrome rather than IE to post this. 

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:37:09 AM »
i also have a warning that this is an unsafe site. Has anyone had any problems lately?

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:05:13 AM »
There's a thread re this in the Glitches folder. Ehell Dame is checking it out.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:29 AM »

It isn't Ehell, it is most likely your anti-virus software.  The problem has been noted in web admin forums and Google Adsense forums and the response we're getting is that when this has happened in the past, it is an anti-virus software problem, not an actual virus.  In other words, the anti-virus software incorrectly identifies a URL in an ad as a trojan.  It's known as a "false positive".   Kaspersky AV and the Opera browser appear to have the most problems with false positives. 

My husband's employment requires knowledge of internet security and he's a beast about keeping our computers updated.  We're running Zone Alarm, firewalls, etc.  I had a minor problem yesterday of Flamingvixen crashing twice on me (may have been that I had a bazillion tabs open at the same time) but I decided to update ZA and then run a virus scan.  I'm not getting anything showing up on Zone Alarm as being a Trojan from this site nor is it warning me that this site is dangerous.  In fact, I have no viruses whatsoever on my computer and considering how much I'm involved in the admin of this site, one would think I'd be crawling with viruses and bugs if they were here but I'm not. 

Update your anti-virus software, reboot and scan again.  On my end, I've disabled all third party adsense ads and blocked www.curves.com until this settles out.  If you still get virus alerts based on specific Google ads, do this for me and then post to the thread:

1. Find the ad you have feedback for.
   2. Right-click on the ad title and select one of the following, based on your browser: Copy Shortcut (Internet Explorer); Copy Link Location (Flamingvixen); Copy Link (Safari); Copy Link Address (Chrome).
   3. Right-click in this thread and select Paste. This will insert the link location directly into this thread, and it will appear as a long string of letters and numbers.

Nanny Ogg

• The Shrinking Lady!
    • For Your Paws
Re: eHell unsafe? NO!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:48:31 AM »
I have a similar problem when using my mobile phone's browser to go on ehell. Orange Safeguard (Orange is the network in the UK) keeps on nagging me that the webpage is a pervey site and full of bugs and viruses.  I'm fairly sure its not either of these, so I'm not sure whats up with that!

(My solution was to use another browser, but thought I'd best let y'all know anyway)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:18:06 AM »
I have a similar problem when using my mobile phone's browser to go on ehell. Orange Safeguard (Orange is the network in the UK) keeps on nagging me that the webpage is a pervey site and full of bugs and viruses.  I'm fairly sure its not either of these, so I'm not sure whats up with that!

(My solution was to use another browser, but thought I'd best let y'all know anyway)

Orange is a pain! I've told them several times that eHell is fine but I still can't always get to it via mobile phone.

mdatca

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:39:13 PM »

It isn't Ehell, it is most likely your anti-virus software.  The problem has been noted in web admin forums and Google Adsense forums and the response we're getting is that when this has happened in the past, it is an anti-virus software problem, not an actual virus.  In other words, the anti-virus software incorrectly identifies a URL in an ad as a trojan.  It's known as a "false positive".   Kaspersky AV and the Opera browser appear to have the most problems with false positives. 

My husband's employment requires knowledge of internet security and he's a beast about keeping our computers updated.  We're running Zone Alarm, firewalls, etc.  I had a minor problem yesterday of Flamingvixen crashing twice on me (may have been that I had a bazillion tabs open at the same time) but I decided to update ZA and then run a virus scan.  I'm not getting anything showing up on Zone Alarm as being a Trojan from this site nor is it warning me that this site is dangerous.  In fact, I have no viruses whatsoever on my computer and considering how much I'm involved in the admin of this site, one would think I'd be crawling with viruses and bugs if they were here but I'm not. 

Update your anti-virus software, reboot and scan again.  On my end, I've disabled all third party adsense ads and blocked www.curves.com until this settles out.  If you still get virus alerts based on specific Google ads, do this for me and then post to the thread:

1. Find the ad you have feedback for.
   2. Right-click on the ad title and select one of the following, based on your browser: Copy Shortcut (Internet Explorer); Copy Link Location (Flamingvixen); Copy Link (Safari); Copy Link Address (Chrome).
   3. Right-click in this thread and select Paste. This will insert the link location directly into this thread, and it will appear as a long string of letters and numbers.

I too have gotten warnings in the last week.  I never had a problem before and just ignore it when it comes up.  I will pay attention next time and alert comes up and let you know what it says.  Like you my DH is crazy about security on the computers and this is new.    Better yet I will show him and let him figure it out for me.  I am wondering if it was an auto update or something that did something to peoples settings.  As I said I knew that EHell was safe and figured it was just some weird thing going on.
I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D.H. Lawrence

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »
I'm not sure what my deal is...if I figure it out I will post details here.  I'm using my work computer now, with different antivirus software so don't expect any issues.

zainabzks

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 01:30:46 PM »
I just got a similar warning. I xed out the browser.

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:55:46 PM »
I have to say this happened to me last week. I was browsing during lunch at work. It infected my computer and I had to get the OS reinstalled and the computer reimaged. The company IT folks informed me it was a Trojan imbedded in an add here.

I am not a computer person though, so this is anecdotal only!

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 10:42:27 AM »
I also had a trojan on my computer either last week or the week before. It was contained by my anti-virus software. I ran a full scan after and my computer was clean.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
I also had a trojan on my computer either last week or the week before. It was contained by my anti-virus software. I ran a full scan after and my computer was clean.
Me too, but my antivirus wasn't so quick.  My computer sent out spam and a friend told me they also got the same spam from a different user on AOL.  I thought it might have something to do with AOL.

You have a firewall, virus protection and the spammers still find a way to get into your computer.   ::)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Re: eHell unsafe? NO! UPDATE as of 5/09
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »
An update from Google: 

Google-certified ad networks that want to place ads on AdSense publisher sites must adhere to all AdWords policies. While ad networks are responsible for the ad content they supply, Google’s ads defense systems also regularly check creatives for malware. We recently learned of a malware-infected creative that came from Aggregate Knowledge, a third-party ad network that was certified by Google at the time. As a result, we revoked that network’s certification, and their ads are no longer eligible to appear on any AdSense publisher sites. We're always working to improve this process, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

I had already blocked 3rd party ad networks days before Google took action.  So, it was not technically a virus, it was spyware/malware. 

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
Re: eHell unsafe? NO! UPDATE as of 05/09
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
Thanks for the update!
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.