Author Topic: Christmas Party complete with exploding fondue pot!  (Read 7431 times)

Lunadiana75

Re: Christmas Party complete with exploding fondue pot!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 11:24:46 AM »
I had a Punkin' Junkin' party on November 11th.  It ended with a bang...literally..when son second degree burned his entire left hand and wrist when a black powder charge exploded prematurely while they were trying to blow up a few pumpkins.  (Worst case of male group stupidity I've ever seen.)   While we getting son ready to transport to the ER, my friend Dorsey fell off the top tier of the back deck onto the second one, smashed one of my large flower pots by planting her face in it during her descent.   I didn't see it but was told it was an Olympic quality fall and splat.  We swore she would have a black eye the next day but she didn't.

After DH and son had gone to the emergency room, I was sitting in the living room with a bunch of friends waiting to hear if they had gone to the UNC burn unit or the local hospital before I also followed.  All of sudden there was this loud CRACK from the kitchen!  I had no idea what it was at the time but later discovered that the glass lid on my Rival Crockpot had shattered into thousands of shards. The crock pot held hot spiced cider but I had turned it off at least 30 minutes earlier. 

Sounds like you host great parties like I do. 

Hey, at least there's always entertainment along with the meal. 

Lynda_34

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 05:02:06 PM »
Another thing that is fun is roasting chestnuts. 
No one told me to make a crosscut in each one and I put them in the oven on a cookie sheet to bake.  About 5 minutes into this they started exploding.  I took them outside and they continued to explode.  One dented the neighbors aluminum siding.  She wasn't happy about that.

ganjin

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 12:39:55 AM »
Another thing that is fun is roasting chestnuts. 
No one told me to make a crosscut in each one and I put them in the oven on a cookie sheet to bake.  About 5 minutes into this they started exploding.  I took them outside and they continued to explode.  One dented the neighbors aluminum siding.  She wasn't happy about that.

:D :D :D

We were supposed to roast about two pounds tonight, but got all caught up in baking cookies and watching Survivor.   I'll REALLY remember the X when we do roast them!!!

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 10:22:52 AM »
I am not sure if you all remember my story from the first board but I have had my own exploding Pyrex incident and have sworn off on using them forever. It was my FIRST piece of pyrex and the first time using it. exactly 42 seconds before my main entree (salmon with lemom wheels, white wine and capers) for my dinner party for 8 was to come out of the oven the pyrex exploded into millions of shards ruining the main dish and side dishes cooking underneath!

ehellion

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 01:56:33 PM »
Actually, with those Pyrex explosions, you guys are lucky you weren't really hurt. Those glass shards can be dangerous. And what an embarrassing and weird injury to have to explain to everyone else!

*sigh* Yep, Pyrex is my enemy. I've almost lost a right index finger (cut through all my nerves and tendons) from a Pyrex incident and this past July, I broke yet another Pyrex dish and it slashed my ankle wide open. Barely touched my ankle, thank goodness, so there was no nerve damage. Luckily I was able to get my toddler out of the way before it hit the floor. If it would have been his little ankle and not mine....*shudder* Needless to say, Pyrex no longer has a place in my house, lol.