The Good Things in Life > Extending the hand of kindness

May is Melanoma Awareness Month

<< < (2/5) > >>

vorbau:
I'm so glad you're OK, EHellDame!

DH has had a single incidence of melanoma on his left forearm and now is fanatical about sunscreen and protective clothing. To protect his left arm from "driver's tan," I made him a removable "sleeve" that he pulls on to cover up whenever he's wearing short sleeves. He's had several other basal cell carcinomas removed, as have my dad and aunt, and I get checked every six months (as a redhead who can burn from a 100-watt bulb).

DH and his dermatologists strongly recommend the Neutrogena Helioplex SPF 75 or stronger sunscreen. I like it because it doesn't feel like your skin is hermetically sealed.

Fliss:
I've had several of the nasty type (can't remember name, but the quick changing ones) removed over the years. On the up side, I now have almost matching scars on both arms, although the boss almost hyperventilated last time I walked in with eight stitches.

This is the leading cause of cancer death in Oz. There are clinics now that offer scans using special lights, as skin cancers show under these lights because of the way the cells are made (all very technical, don't entirely understand it m'self.)

I'm glad it's being brought to peoples attention, but no-one should wait a year to check their skin, esp. arms and back.

Dindrane:

--- Quote from: Scritzy on April 30, 2010, 07:51:59 PM ---I wish Chip would take these stats to heart. I can't get him to wear sunscreen for love or money. He doesn't like the feel of it on his skin. :(

--- End quote ---

I totally understand where Chip is coming from, because I agree completely.  I hate sunscreen, a lot.  Even the stuff that's supposed to be weightless or non-greasy still feels like it's left a film on my skin.

However, clothing protects skin even better than sunscreen does.  As does simply staying out of the sun.  I can understand why not everyone likes to embrace my "stay indoors!" tendency, but you can buy UV-blocking clothing that is loose and light, and probably better for staying cool than baring your skin is anyway.  And hats are a much better production from sun exposure on your face than sunscreen, because you won't miss any nooks and crannies that way.  If Chip is like my dad, hats are necessary because of thinning hair - my dad never leaves the house without a hat on, and he's at least one suspicious bit of skin removed from his scalp.

--- Quote from: vorbau on April 30, 2010, 09:13:32 PM ---DH and his dermatologists strongly recommend the Neutrogena Helioplex SPF 75 or stronger sunscreen. I like it because it doesn't feel like your skin is hermetically sealed.

--- End quote ---

I still won't say I like this sunscreen, but it is world's better than most of the other sunscreens I've tried.  It's not cheap, so I tend to only use it on my face and arms (i.e. when I'm wearing normal clothing).  When I need to use a lot of sunscreen, I suck it up and use the cheap stuff everywhere but my face - quantity is the most important thing when applying sunscreen, after all.

Ehelldame:

--- Quote from: Dindrane on April 30, 2010, 11:41:24 PM ---However, clothing protects skin even better than sunscreen does. 
--- End quote ---

Not all clothing is the same.  Plain woven, white cotten used for a typical t-shirt has a UPF value of 4 whereas denim is way over UPF 100.

http://sun1.awardspace.com/Sun_Protection/fabrics.htm

Scritzy:

--- Quote from: Ehelldame on May 01, 2010, 10:11:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: Dindrane on April 30, 2010, 11:41:24 PM ---However, clothing protects skin even better than sunscreen does. 
--- End quote ---

Not all clothing is the same.  Plain woven, white cotten used for a typical t-shirt has a UPF value of 4 whereas denim is way over UPF 100.

http://sun1.awardspace.com/Sun_Protection/fabrics.htm

--- End quote ---

Absolutely right. Chip has been sunburned through a well-worn t-shirt before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version