Author Topic: "But you'll look like a Goth!" --Funny outcome--  (Read 6264 times)

claddagh lass

"But you'll look like a Goth!" --Funny outcome--
« on: November 18, 2009, 03:56:42 PM »
This is sort of a bean-dip story.

BG:  For the Dicken's Faire next year I'm plotting out my dress.  It's a semi-formal type gown so I thought I had best save up and get the good quaity fabric.  While ordering swatches I came across this grape silk duponi that Mom's in love with.  She adores the color but the $12 per yard scares her off.

So I thought about it and said, "Why not make my dress out of that fabric?"  If I buy enough of it the price will start to go down to about $10 per yard and if Mom is okay with paying for a yard of fabric then I'll get it and I'll give her any good sized scraps I have left over.

Because of the pieces to the dress and the price I probably won't be starting it until late January/early February.

End BG

Because the color is unique there's only a select few colors that can go with it.  We went to the coffee shop and decided to compare color swatches and maybe get a second opinion.  I had some beige and brown swatches that didn't look right so we settled on basic black. 

I'll have a black hat, black sash, and black shoes.

Upon hearing this decision one lady announced "You'll look like a Goth girl in period clothing!!"

I laughed and said, "Care to help me sack Rome?"

The lady laughed as well and then I commented on the rather cold and windy weather we've been having today.

O'Dell

Re: "But you'll look like a Goth!" --Funny outcome--
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:46:08 PM »
Sounds like a lovely outfit! Hope you will post some pictures of it when it's ready!

Maybe the lady meant it as a compliment? I look the farthest thing from a goth yet I like the look. I just choose not to dress that way.  :)
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

MizB

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 02:50:14 PM »
It sounds gorgeous to me, and purple is the color of royalty, so just tell  her you're trying to be a mourning royal LOL. I like  your response though.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:44:26 PM »
"Thanks!" :-*

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:34:21 AM »
Brilliant retort!
Not as if there is anything wrong with goth. I often borrow from the style to dress up nicely, and people often give me compliments for how good I look. Same goes for my sister.

claddagh lass

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »
I went through a goth phase in high school.  I had transferred schools and the goths were the first ones to greet me and be nice so I joined them.  It was more the Edgar Allen Poe goth style.

I've decided to make the dress with a hoop skirt.  I know of a lady who will make me the hoopskirt plus a pettiocat for $200 so I'm saving up for that.  That's about the average price for the combination.  Plus I know it's being made by a professional so that helps.

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 03:38:56 PM »

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
Did the dress ever get finished?
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

claddagh lass

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 09:54:20 PM »
Isn't it more steampunk than goth?
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/blog/201003/vampireswerewolves-and-parasols

I think it depends on what the person is going for.

Did the dress ever get finished?

I'm afraid I haven't even gotten the chance to start yet.  :(  I've got to get my hoops and petticoat first and then order the fabric.  Real life and Mom's leukemia treatment have been taking up a lot of my time.