Author Topic: Cool new things you've learned  (Read 2049 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Cool new things you've learned
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 12:07:27 AM »
I've recently found the website Duolingo.

https://www.duolingo.com/

It's free online interactive language lessons for several different languages. It runs like a game, so you get points for gaining new skills and practising existing ones.

The cool thing I'm currently learning to do: speak another language (Spanish in my case, which I picked since it's apparently one of the easier languages to learn. I might have to disagree with that because the subject-verb agreements are kicking my butt).  After I'm done with Spanish, I'm going back in for a harder language, like maybe Irish.

Aaand now I am trying to join too >.< And learning..... Irish :D

German for me!

Spanish for me!  Although I will try to revive my Russian if the ever add it.
memrise has some russian courses.

http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/russian/
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
For years I've boiled eggs by putting a pot of water on the stove, bringing it to a boil, then one-by-one putting eggs on a spoon to lower down into the boiling water. Sometimes they crack, which is annoying and wasteful.

I found my steamer insert for the pot and used it to make perfect "hard-boiled" eggs: simply bring the water in the pot to a boil. While waiting, place the eggs into the steamer insert. Then just put the steamer insert on, put the lid on, and wait 15 minutes. The eggs are hard with no green ring. (Don't forget to place the eggs into an ice-water bath just after taking them out, so they'll be easy to peel.)

I don't have this one, but it looks a lot like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30152346/

I just tried this. The eggs cooked perfectly and none were cracked, which is great, but they were still a pain in the butt to peel. I think the problem is with the eggs themselves, though, and not the cooking method. It doesn't matter what I do, how long they cook, whether or not I add baking soda, if I pop them into ice water as soon as they come off the stove, etc. I always end up with a lot of egg peeling away with the shell. I've noticed that the eggs we usually buy, which are the most stubborn (Costco organic), have two membranes between the white and shell and I think that's the problem.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »
The fresher the eggs are, the harder they are to peel, too.  You want to make devilled eggs?  Make sure your eggs are at least a couple of weeks old.  Generally speaking, store bought eggs will be that old before you even get them home but if you buy farm eggs?  You'll need to plan ahead.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
The fresher the eggs are, the harder they are to peel, too.  You want to make devilled eggs?  Make sure your eggs are at least a couple of weeks old.  Generally speaking, store bought eggs will be that old before you even get them home but if you buy farm eggs?  You'll need to plan ahead.

I've never bought farm fresh eggs, always store bought. The age doesn't seem to make a difference. We typically buy 2 of the two-dozen packages at costco (so 4 dozen total) and whether I boil some right away or what's left two weeks later, they're a pain. The outer membrane always sticks to the shell and the inner always sticks to the white. If I can get that 2nd one away from the white I'm golden but if not, the egg tears. I don't know why they do that and others don't. I always swear I'm done with that brand but it's just so convenient to get them all at once while I'm at costco.  ::)

Girlie

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »
The easiest way to peel difficult hard-boiled eggs (I think) is to roll them gently across a hard surface with your hand until the shell starts to crack all over. As long as you're not pressing down too hard, you should wind up with tiny fissures all over the surface of the egg's shell, and then you can pull it away.

My mother-in-law taught me that trick. :)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
For years I've boiled eggs by putting a pot of water on the stove, bringing it to a boil, then one-by-one putting eggs on a spoon to lower down into the boiling water. Sometimes they crack, which is annoying and wasteful.

Well there's your problem. You're putting them into boiling hot water. I always start off with my eggs in cold water and then bring them to a boil together. Its better if you can do it slowly as well. I get maybe one cracked egg in 30?
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 12:14:05 PM »

Well there's your problem. You're putting them into boiling hot water. I always start off with my eggs in cold water and then bring them to a boil together. Its better if you can do it slowly as well. I get maybe one cracked egg in 30?

That's the way I do them, too.  I rarely get cracked eggs.  I may try the steaming method the next time, though.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JenJay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »
The easiest way to peel difficult hard-boiled eggs (I think) is to roll them gently across a hard surface with your hand until the shell starts to crack all over. As long as you're not pressing down too hard, you should wind up with tiny fissures all over the surface of the egg's shell, and then you can pull it away.

My mother-in-law taught me that trick. :)

Yep, we do that. Sometimes it takes literally 5 minutes to pick all those tiny shell pieces off the egg because it just does not want to peel off. Crazy, right?! Adding baking soda to the water helps some, as it makes the egg a bit slippery, but if that 2nd membrane is firmly attached to the white it's useless.

The more I reply to these tips it's becoming clear that I just need to get an extra dozen eggs from my regular grocery store for boiling. Why am I torturing myself with the costco eggs? lol

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »
Another thought about the eggs . . . when you immerse them in cold water try cracking them during the CW rinse. (I just toss the pot like tossing pasta or flipping an omelet.)

Then peel them IMMEDIATELY while they are still warm. Do not let them sit. I find that the longer I let my eggs sit the harder they are to peel.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »
The latest cool thing I learned came from E-Hell (as do many cool things).

It was the bit on another thread about the tradition of Japanese Adult Adoption.  The Pharaonic Egyptians did almost exactly the same thing. Back then, in Egypt,  adopting a healthy adult male was the equivalent of securing your support in retirement. 

I learn something useful or interesting here every day.  You people are wonderful! 

magicdomino

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
The Romans used to adopt adults too, although I think it was preferably a relative.  Usually, it was when a male heir was needed.  Augustus was adopted by Julius Caesar in Julius' will, and later adopted his wife's son, Tiberius.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2014, 01:37:20 PM »
I'm trying to learn to take photos without the "auto" mode on my camera.  I have a Canon Powershot SX 160.  So trying to figure out the right ISO, F-stop and shutter speeds to get the most out of a photo.  So far I think I'm getting the hang of it, it's mostly been an issue of playing with the various settings and seeing how it looks.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
Shirring.  I was able to modify some clothes using elastic thread and it worked like a charm.  Pain to set up in the sewing machine (I'm a rookie), but totally worth it.  I was able to salvage a skirt that was missing the elastic at the waist and turn some otherwise shapeless tops into something I would wear out of the house.

darling

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 11:01:52 AM »
This weekend, I will be learning how to remove the old, icky grout from our shower, and how to add new flexible grout that comes in a roll (also found some that will work for the tub and floor, since that is completely missing). I am really looking forward to having a shower and tub that actually look clean after cleaning. Yes, I'm a renter, but I am getting sick of waiting for them to fix things that should have been done before I moved in (and that are already filed as needing to be done!).

Also, I learned how to install an electric dryer a couple of months ago, including shopping for and installing the right electrical cable for the outlet in the basement, and installing the right exhaust hose.