News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 08, 2016, 11:29:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Different Pain Levels  (Read 2376 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Different Pain Levels
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »
While the broken finger didn't hurt at all, I do have to say the worst pain I ever had was when I was hit by a car that broke my knee, I didn't realize it was broken... and I took a step on it. WOW. Just pain exploding in my leg.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 09:02:45 PM »
I think of my tolerance for pain, and my threshold for pain as two separate things.  I have a low pain threshold - I feel everything, and everything hurts!  However, my tolerance for the pain I'm feeling is fairly high.  When I whacked my knee with a hedge trimmer and cut it open, it hurt like heck, but I could still walk around and was able tojoke with the nurse and my boss about how I managed to hurt myself right at the end of my summer break (I was two weeks away from my first year in college). 

I hate trying to describe my pain to doctors - how much do you believe someone who tells you that their headaches feel like someone is currently performing exploratory surgery without anesthetic, when they're totally calm and now showing any signs of that pain?  I have to remind myself sometimes that it's okay to admit something is painful, even if it's below my pain tolerance, just so the nurse/doctor/tech will know that something's not right. 

TootsNYC

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2015, 09:10:39 PM »
I don't know if I FEEL less pain than other people, but I'm very good at dealing with what I do feel.

If something hurts, I'll just think "WOW. That hurts." I don't need to make a noise about it. If somethings REALLY REALLY hurts, I start compartmentalising, like "Yes, your right hand hurts. It hurts a lot. But your legs feel fine, don't they? And your left hand feels fine? So it's just a feeling in one hand. It's not nice but you can cope. It's just a feeling, and it will pass, and then you'll be fine, you're mostly fine now...". I basically keep on telling myself that absolutely constantly.

I think this is true.
There are two components. One is physical--the literal physical nerves. The other is mental/emotional--your psychological nerve.

What do you feel, and then what do you mind?

I like Lady Snowdon's "tolerance for" and "threshold for" description.

Twik

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »
I had my last (little) cavity filled with no Novocaine because I find the shots more painful than the dull tooth ache.  Conversely, I took the full-on general anesthetic option when I had my wisdom teeth removed because I didn't want to know or feel anything related to that.

>:D How about this nightmare scenario? I was having impacted wisdom teeth removed in the chair, with novocaine, and it wore off during the extraction!

Like you, I gritted it out, because I hated the thought of them having to stop and give me more needles.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

#borecore

• Formerly marvellous, now a bore
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 10:39:26 AM »
I am pretty low on the pain tolerance scale. I hate it! Even little stuff like paper cuts or small bruises, I'm irritated and distracted. My husband recently told me, "You don't have to tell me every little bump or bruise you get, you know. I get them all the time and don't comment because they're not a big deal." He has a MUCH higher tolerance than I do for little physical irritations, though. I am such a wimp!

But I'm also really sensitive to meds. I can't take pain pills except ibuprofen without throwing up, it seems; some cold medicines even get me feeling gross. I thought my wisdom tooth surgery was horrible because I couldn't stop throwing up and I thought I'd get a dry socket; it turns out I just can't take vicodin (hydrocodone) ever again; my digestive system is completely discombobulated by it. I am a hoot (apparently) on any anesthetic. Still, I'd opt for the anesthetic over the pain and/or painkillers during because the side effects other than acting kooky and being sleepy for longer than most people are minimal.

Airelenaren

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »
I think of my tolerance for pain, and my threshold for pain as two separate things.
They are two different things in general, it's just that they appear to be strongly related for most people.
I'm not really sure where my pain threshold lies - I'm hypersensitive, so logically it should be pretty low, but then, certain types of pain (such as minor burns or a skinned knee) just feel like a really bad itch to me and not like actual pain.
My pain tolerance is definitely a lot higher than for the rest of my family. When I was a child, I had horrible teeth, but usually had them fixed without a painkiller (needles were a nightmare for me, while I could tolerate the drill).
Unfortunately, I found that when I tell people about this, they often assume I don't actually feel the pain, or that it's okay to inflict it on me.  >:(

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
I am pretty low on the pain tolerance scale. I hate it! Even little stuff like paper cuts or small bruises, I'm irritated and distracted. My husband recently told me, "You don't have to tell me every little bump or bruise you get, you know. I get them all the time and don't comment because they're not a big deal." He has a MUCH higher tolerance than I do for little physical irritations, though. I am such a wimp!...

My DH and I are like that about bruises, although I am like your husband.  I have high pain tolerance and very fair skin.  DH has normal pain tolerance and middle-of-the-road Caucasian skin.  He will be very bothered by, complain and show my every bruise.  I usually respond by showing him a more colorful bruise and say, "And I don't even remember getting it".  He knows this is true because he's seen me run into something, say Oww, and then later in the day he'll ask where the bruise comes from and I'll have no idea. 

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2015, 02:17:39 PM »
At one point, I was advised to have a particular nerve test (I've forgotten the name) to try to diagnose a problem with my elbow. I mentioned it to someone who said that when she'd had that test, it was painful enough that it had become her reference for the 10 of "worst pain you have ever felt" on the 0-10 scale. I went ahead with the test, and rated it about a 3.

Was it an EMG? I've had three of them, and while I honestly don't find them particularly painful, there are definitely at the top of my "most traumatic medical tests" list. But then, I have a needle phobia.  :-[
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
IMO, comparing pain tolerance is the equivalent of comparing who's hungrier, me or you. You simply cannot feel what someone else is physically experiencing when it's organic, such as thirst, hunger, pain.

As for the pain scales they use in hospitals, nurses are taught that if someone says their pain level is 8/10, you respect that and medicate appropriately even if the patient doesn't behave the way you think they should if they're in that much pain. You may think it, but you have to medicate unless there's a reason not to, meaning you'll overdose them.

Thread locked.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.