News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 07, 2015, 01:38:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

How often do you update your résumé or CV?

Once a year
Twice a year
Once every two years
When something major changes
When I'm looking for a new job/applying for an advanced degree

Author Topic: How often do you update your résumé or CV? Professional or Education  (Read 490 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
As I complete my final semester for my degree, I am reminded that I need to update both my professional and education CVs. How often do you update yours? Do you think you should update it more often?

cicero

• Super Hero!
0h cool! i am the first person who responded to the poll!

I don't have an advanced degree (only a BA) and I don't work in academia so i only use my cv when i'm applying to a job. I go through periods of massive job application every now and then and that is when i update the cv - add in new lines (experience, skills, education) and take out the out dated stuff

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Since I'm in the professional category, I only update when I'm looking for a new job. A current resume isn't important to me except for that time. I don't have many publications (and patents move very slowly), so there's little to update except to add my current job. Plus, I tailor the resume for the job where I'm applying. Gotta get those keywords right!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
I need to add my BA, remove the honors stuff (outdated), add the grad certificate I start in the fall, add my job duties and add my field school to the education one. That's a lot!

Zizi-K

I am in academia, so I'm often applying for things or doing things (activities, publishing) that should be added. Sometimes I add right after I finish the activity, and sometimes I wait until I have to submit another application. But these happen with such regularity that it's usually about one per month or once every two months.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
I'm a consultant, so I update each time I change jobs.  Depending on the job, its every 4-6 months

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
When I'm looking - but that works out to about every couple of years. I don't wind up changing jobs every time I look, but I do like to fish around a little and see what my options are.

TriCrazy73

I voted that I only update it when something in my job changes...however, I also make sure things are current when I happen to be applying for a new job (doesn't happen often, I have been in my current job about 15 years).

daen

I work in support/service roles, and I only need my resume when I'm job-hunting. I've worked at the same place for the last dozen or so years, so you'd think I wouldn't have touched it for ages, but that's not the case. This job is part-time, and I've had a variety of second jobs over that time, mostly so I can afford to keep working there. (If I were to win the lottery, I'd seriously consider having my boss put me on a salary of $1 per year so I can keep working there, but only the hours I want. They can use my current wages to hire someone to fill my current hours. But I digress.)

Most recently, I hauled out my resume as a part of a application package for a year-long volunteer stint. Which reminds me that I should update my resume to include that work experience - it expands my skill set somewhat, and might come in handy at some point - before I forget the details.

Cali.in.UK

I've been updating it daily because I'm currently job hunting and depending on what the job is, I'll move or add things. I use linkedin as a sort of resume too and I've been adding things weekly.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
Re: How often do you update your résumé or CV? Professional or Education
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 12:35:39 PM »
I also need to update my LinkedIn account. Networking purposes if nothing else.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 12:39:44 PM »
I'm in academia. I've had the same job for a long time and don't plan to change anytime soon. But, I update my resume whenever I have something new to add, like an article or conference abstract. So, two to three times a year, at least.

The main reason I do this so often is because I will simply forget otherwise.  :P Also, there seem to be random times when I need to submit a CV for something, like an award application or grant proposal, and it's much easier to have the CV already updated and ready to go. I keep a "master CV" with everything, then edit it down when I need one for a specific purpose. (Not many purposes care about the scholarship I got in high school, for example!)

"Updating your resume" seems to be a horrible job for many of my colleagues--probably some transference of the general stress of job searching--so I feel like keeping mine always current helps me to avoid that despair.
~Lynn2000

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »
I update annually, because it is required at my current job.  It's actually nice.  I had not updated for about 6 years, and then had a lot of work to do, when I was applying for this job. 
Not such a newbie anymore

lilfox

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »
I chose once a year because on average that's about how often it happens, but what that means is just that I add whatever my latest publication/patent app is to the existing CV so I don't forget about it later.  I generally update the "jobs" section every 3-5 years for when I transition between groups (same company for the past 10 years).

I keep a master CV with everything on it and then create shorter, targeted resumes if I'm interested in applying for a new job.

Bandu

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:29 PM »
Small-town newspaper editor here. Last time I updated my resume was somewhere in the mid-1990s. Since then, I've nabbed jobs through connections in the industry. However, mine is one of those fields where everybody knows everybody, so if you're any good at the job, people have heard about you.