News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 24, 2015, 01:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?  (Read 119509 times)

andi

Re: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?
« Reply #855 on: May 07, 2015, 11:10:41 PM »
*** Off topic for a moment ***

Not sure if it was here or the "reading pet peeves" thread, but Thank You to whomever recommend the book on Lizzie Borden (A Private Disgrace). Not a subject I've done much reading on before, very different and interesting approach.

*** Back to topic***

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #856 on: May 08, 2015, 01:15:31 AM »
A minor thing, but I want to know who stole my swolemate's license plate off of his motorcycle. He was parked at work (on base)... so we know it was someone we work with. What a rotten thing to do. >:(
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #857 on: May 08, 2015, 10:49:15 AM »
A minor thing, but I want to know who stole my swolemate's license plate off of his motorcycle. He was parked at work (on base)... so we know it was someone we work with. What a rotten thing to do. >:(

That sucks!  And on a base... :o
Howevah...I just love the fact that you have a swolemate :D

twoferrets

« Reply #858 on: May 08, 2015, 11:23:22 AM »
The disappearance of Adam Hermann:

http://fox4kc.com/2014/06/26/update-on-case-of-kansas-boy-whose-parents-never-reported-him-missing/

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/new-soil-samples-taken-in-adam-herrman-search/32514670

Some slight movement on the case last year and as recently as this April, but nothing definitive.

wordgirl

• Just bead it
  • Super Hero!
  • Pinterest is the new crack
« Reply #859 on: May 08, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »
When I first came to town, people were still talking about this; it was always just called "The Rogue Wave." It doesn't get mentioned much any more, but sometimes when I'm at the beach I'll look out at the ocean and wonder.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20120704/COLUMNS/307049982?p=all&tc=pgall

asb8

« Reply #860 on: May 08, 2015, 07:02:54 PM »
When I first came to town, people were still talking about this; it was always just called "The Rogue Wave." It doesn't get mentioned much any more, but sometimes when I'm at the beach I'll look out at the ocean and wonder.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20120704/COLUMNS/307049982?p=all&tc=pgall

I remember that! Our neighbors at the time were at the beach that weekend and their 2-year-old nearly got swamped. Luckily I had been teaching her to swim and she remembered to hold her breath under water.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #861 on: May 08, 2015, 09:25:08 PM »

I remember that! Our neighbors at the time were at the beach that weekend and their 2-year-old nearly got swamped. Luckily I had been teaching her to swim and she remembered to hold her breath under water.

It was a spectacular site! I'm surprised there wasn't more damage or more injuries TBH.  Water came over the  seawall on boardwalk and flipped/flooded at least a 100 cars. There was maybe 15-20 injured, mostly from glass and from falling and getting scraped up. It was late on a Friday night and the boardwalk was still pretty packed as it was a holiday weekend.

I'm not sure what all the speculation is about though.  A meteorite hit the water about 10 miles out. It was quite visable (there was very light from the moon...it was a few days before or after the new moon).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:36:26 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

wordgirl

• Just bead it
  • Super Hero!
  • Pinterest is the new crack
« Reply #862 on: May 11, 2015, 01:50:04 PM »
The meteorite theory kind of fell out favor, Dazi, though it was the prevailing one for several months. NOAA is pretty sure it was a very fast, intense squall line that was headed down the coast and hit the very shallow waters off Volusia County.

But nobody is 100 percent sure what happened. And nobody is guaranteeing it wouldn't happen again ....

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #863 on: May 11, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »
The meteorite theory kind of fell out favor, Dazi, though it was the prevailing one for several months. NOAA is pretty sure it was a very fast, intense squall line that was headed down the coast and hit the very shallow waters off Volusia County.

But nobody is 100 percent sure what happened. And nobody is guaranteeing it wouldn't happen again ....

I was there. I saw it with my own eyes. There were reports from boaters out on the water as well.  I remember at least one report a few days later that a boater said something landed not far from his boat. Ah...found it  https://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com/msg95737.html

My brother was playing in the arcade and I had reached maximum arcade overload.  I was so ready to go home.  In protest,  I went outside around 10:45 to sit on the metal railing. I was facing the water on a very clear, still, nearly moonless night when I saw an object I would describe as a meteorite or something similar (i.e. space debris perhaps) hit the water a few miles out directly in my line of sight (which was just a tad north of the pier). A couple of minutes went by and  a small vibration/hum went through the railing I was sitting on, followed closely by a 15-20 foot wave...which happened to completely soak me.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah