News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 30, 2016, 03:40:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 8341742 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #35940 on: Today at 11:57:22 AM »
People who think that red lights don't apply to them.

Yesterday, I was turning off of a side road onto to a four lane road (the main drag in our smallish town) and I had a protected green arrow. The person coming from the opposite direction had his turn signal on indicating he was turning right, (so same direction as me) however I had the right of way because of the green arrow. Or so I thought (insert eyeroll). As I was about 1/3 of the way into the turn, he pulled into intersection. I stopped and honked my horn. He stopped and I proceeded to go again and so did he. I honked the horn again, a little bit more forcefully and he stopped again. I began to move again and needed to be in the far right lane, but before I could get into that lane, he was there, right in my blind spot and I had to quickly correct myself to avoid hitting him.

I'm pretty sure that because I had the protected green, either of the lanes on the road I was turning onto were mine for the picking and the other traffic had to stop, but maybe I was wrong?

If I have this correct, you were turning left, on a left turn arrow, and he was turning right on a red?  You had the right of way.  You turned into the left lane, which was closest to you and therefore correct, then tried to move to the right for the lane you needed.  He should have waited for you.

We now have a highway off ramp that has two lanes turning left and two lanes turning right.  The law says that you turn into the corresponding lane.  So if you are in the far right lane on the ramp, you turn into the far right lane on the road.  There are a couple of left turns right after you get on the road that a lot of people take, including me.  So I always line up in the second from the right lane on the ramp and turn into the second from the right lane on the road, then signal and move one more lane to the left so I can get to the turn I need.  Almost every time I go through this intersection, someone tries to cut from the far right lane to the left, through me, and gives me the dirtiest look when I honk at them so they avoid running into me.  I fully expect to get t-boned there one of these days.  But unfortunately, I can't avoid the intersection or I would.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

mumma to KMC

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #35941 on: Today at 02:33:49 PM »
People who think that red lights don't apply to them.

Yesterday, I was turning off of a side road onto to a four lane road (the main drag in our smallish town) and I had a protected green arrow. The person coming from the opposite direction had his turn signal on indicating he was turning right, (so same direction as me) however I had the right of way because of the green arrow. Or so I thought (insert eyeroll). As I was about 1/3 of the way into the turn, he pulled into intersection. I stopped and honked my horn. He stopped and I proceeded to go again and so did he. I honked the horn again, a little bit more forcefully and he stopped again. I began to move again and needed to be in the far right lane, but before I could get into that lane, he was there, right in my blind spot and I had to quickly correct myself to avoid hitting him.

I'm pretty sure that because I had the protected green, either of the lanes on the road I was turning onto were mine for the picking and the other traffic had to stop, but maybe I was wrong?

If I have this correct, you were turning left, on a left turn arrow, and he was turning right?  You had the right of way.  You turned into the left lane, which was closest to you and therefore correct, then tried to move to the right for the lane you needed.  He should have waited for you.

We now have a highway off ramp that has two lanes turning left and two lanes turning right.  The law says that you turn into the corresponding lane.  So if you are in the far right lane on the ramp, you turn into the far right lane on the road.  There are a couple of left turns right after you get on the road that a lot of people take, including me.  So I always line up in the second from the right lane on the ramp and turn into the second from the right lane on the road, then signal and move one more lane to the left so I can get to the turn I need.  Almost every time I go through this intersection, someone tries to cut from the far right lane to the left, through me, and gives me the dirtiest look when I honk at them so they avoid running into me.  I fully expect to get t-boned there one of these days.  But unfortunately, I can't avoid the intersection or I would.

Yes, that's what happened. Thank you for explaining it more clearly than I did!

My husband had a story about driving with a co-worker the other day. He was in a car with two other co-workers and one of them (we'll call him Bob) was driving. Bob wanted to turn right and the car in front of them was turning left. Bob didn't want to wait, so he pulled up next to the car to make his turn.

It was a two lane road with no turn lanes. My husband mentioned this and his coworker was confused as to what he had done wrong.