News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 27, 2016, 02:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: s/o Craft Freebies - how to you get that price?  (Read 624 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
s/o Craft Freebies - how to you get that price?
« on: July 07, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »
So I was browsing some online ads for freelance writing jobs.

In spite of what I have read here, and seen on other freelance websites, I am still surprised at some of these "offers".

In one case, the ad is looking for a writer to write a 20,000 word romance story. The seller provides the outline, the writer is to provide plot, climax, character development etc.
The pay for this work? The princely sum of $75.

I suppose it is too much to hope that the rate offered is per day?
(The employer wants the story done within 30 days, but "sooner is better".)

Does anyone know if the amount shown on these ads is the actual price or is it just something off a pull down menu?

I would assume that, as in any business transaction, clarifying the pricing and terms is normal practice.
I guess that like anything, the value of anything (written work, abstract art, commissioned sculpture etc) the ultimate value is in what you can get for it.
But it does make me wonder about the marketplace!
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
Re: s/o Craft Freebies - how to you get that price?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »
I'd roll my eyes at $75 for an entire story of that length and not even bother approaching someone that obnoxiously demanding and how little they value the writers work in the scheme of things. Since that's about the going price per article for small publications. My BF has done freelance for articles before, he was cheap at $50 a story when he was starting out, that includes going to an event on a press pass and writing about it for the publication.

If you want more information about a specific ad, you have to ask. Most places will negotiate with a writer, since they are not in full control, this is a business transaction. You are a vendor offering a service, you set your prices, the customer is more than likely going to lowball you in that kind of fashion, they can dream of paying whatever they want.

Don't rely on a broad net of "this is how it works for me" though because in every single freelance situation it's going to be different. Each client is going to expect something different and pay differently, you can either say "this is my fee, I don't have room to negotiate" and work like that or say "This is my normal fee, I will offer you the work at this reduced cost to benefit us both", it's all about how you want to run your business.

Do not let anyone walk over you or treat you like you're less powerful in a situation because they're paying you. You are a business in this sense, you are selling something of value that they are desiring, that's why they're placing ads in the first place.

It's like every business. People will call and ask me "How much for this?" "It's X amount." "Oh that's too much." "Well that's how much it costs, so you can pay it or go to another location, good luck finding something for nothing!" I had someone say they wanted to get rich and hire me to raise their children, then were shocked when the going yearly salary for a live in nanny is NOT just a few hundred dollars a month in pocket change ::)

Frog24

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 05:38:38 PM »
When I first started out as a technical writer at a software company, I was paid less than the interns they hired for programming.  It was brutal, and still is brutal that many software companies believe that usability/design work and documentation are "lesser" tasks than programming.  Sure, you can code it, but will it make sense to the user?  No?  Then I guess you need a writer.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 06:06:36 PM »
I got $11 for a one-page article for a Christian magazine.  I think mine was less than 500 words.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »
When I first started out as a technical writer at a software company, I was paid less than the interns they hired for programming.  It was brutal, and still is brutal that many software companies believe that usability/design work and documentation are "lesser" tasks than programming.  Sure, you can code it, but will it make sense to the user?  No?  Then I guess you need a writer.
Once while I was in college, an English major somehow wound up in the Computer Sciences break room and was complaining about writing a term paper.  A CS major commented, "Yeah, but does it run?"

Actually, I love a good tech writer.  When I worked at Three Initial Corp, I had a great one.  He'd ask me to explain a new feature to him, I'd blab for 20 minutes, and he'd go, "So a.b.c."  I'd smile sheepishly and concur.
The user does't need to know about your nifty bit array. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.