Author Topic: Concern about how we nickname people  (Read 2034 times)

menley

Re: Concern about how we nickname people
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »
If it was up to me, people wouldn't use abbreviations like DS as well. It gets really confusing to me - especially as DS can be both son or sister, DSIL could be son-in-law or sister-in-law, etc. Code names such as Anne, Betsy and Charlie are far easier for me to follow!

Runningstar

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »
I'm sorry, I am the one who named the person in question "Hagatha", and I guess I did so for a couple reasons.  Number one, I was, (and still am), stunned by her (what appears to be), outright meanness.  Number two, it was actually to throw a little levity into the situation, using an OTT name.  However, OP, you make a good point, and I will refrain from doing so, going forward.  I apologize.
:-[I'm sorry too, didn't even think about it.  I also will try to not use derogatory nick names in the future. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »
If it was up to me, people wouldn't use abbreviations like DS as well. It gets really confusing to me - especially as DS can be both son or sister, DSIL could be son-in-law or sister-in-law, etc. Code names such as Anne, Betsy and Charlie are far easier for me to follow!

In addition to this, there are uncommon abbreviations used without lead-up. For example, someone posting "My DP went to the store....." instead of "My dear partner (DP) went to the store....."

It's like we're all suppose to know every abbreviations and I'm sorry, but there are just too many out there. This is evidenced by the fact someone will always eventually ask "What does DP stand for?"