News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 02, 2016, 02:25:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EW EW EW!!! Things you can't unsee  (Read 1398 times)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Re: EW EW EW!!! Things you can't unsee
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 10:09:44 PM »
My coworker, "George," with whom I had a very friendly relationship, had major brain surgery. When we heard that he was allowed visitors, I went to see him. George was sitting up in a chair in his hospital room, wearing only a hospital gown. He was a bit disoriented, but was ready for a visit. He had obviously never been taught how to sit like a lady in a short dress. He also was definitely not wearing underwear.

It was many years later that I finally had the guts to explain to him why I spent the whole visit staring intently into his eyes.

[I originally wrote that George was "happy to see me." Oops, he wasn't, at least not in the Mae West sense. But he was definitely present & accounted for.]

Dad. Hip replacement. Hospital gown. 'Nuff said.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #16 on: Today at 07:43:34 AM »
Ew Ew Ew!!!

BG: We are cleaning out my Dad's house in preparation for sale. Since Mom died a year ago, he's downsized to a small apartment and has essentially handed responsibility for cleaning out the place/selling the furniture/disposing of everything to me and my brother. It's a large house and mom was a packrat. Not a hoarder by any means, but she had a lot of stuff. end BG

So today we are all over at the house, selling stuff and going through it at the same time. It was me, DH, DB, DSIL and DN(iece). DH and I are going through one of Mom's jewelry boxes to make sure we hadn't missed anything. DH noticed a little tab that opened a secret compartment on the bottom of it, and in there he found an envelope.

<cue ominous music>

We should have just stopped there. If it was hidden there, there certainly had to be a reason for it, right? Better just to give it to Dad and forget about it. But no, curiosity got the better of me. I asked DH to look in the envelope. He didn't want to, but I prevailed. Slowly he opens it and finds...

A picture of a cat that we had when I was a child. Oh! I haven't thought about Frisky for years. He was a great cat!

And hey! There are a few more pictures, too! Probably more pics of Frisky and maybe of Dusty, too-the other cat we had at the time.

Uh. No.

Did you know that Polaroid cameras became popular around 1970? People loved them! You could take pictures and they would develop right before your eyes! No more going to the store to have rolls of film developed! And you know, that afforded some previously unknown freedoms. You could now take pictures of anything. Anything at all. And not have to worry about other people seeing them!

I saw what no child should ever see. Apparently the cat wasn't the only thing that was frisky. Yup. 40+ year old Polaroid pictures that my parents took of each other...like that.  EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW EW!!!!!!!!!!!

I of course did the only logical thing I could think of in the moment. I screamed for my brother and made him look at them too. He may never forgive me for that  ;D

There is not enough brain bleach on the planet. There will never be enough brain bleach ever. Ever ever ever.

Dad came by the house about an hour later. I gave him the pics and he turned bright red and giggled, embarrassed and seeing the humor at the same time. He looked at us and simply said, "Well, we used to be young, you know."

So...what can you not unsee?

I would have the same reaction but will admit I laughed that you made your brother share in the "ewwww" moment.

EllenS

• My Author Page:
« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:48:16 AM »
I just un-blocked another one:

When I was 12 or 13, I accidentally walked in on my grandma while she was changing.

I was Not. Prepared. for what 3 kids and 80 years of gravity does to the female body. I didn't even know stuff from up there could wind up all the way down there. So not prepared.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #18 on: Today at 07:48:32 AM »
I can thing of two; first was when I was over at a friend's house, two guys, and one was wearing shorts, and i'm guessing, went commando. The angle at which he was sitting meant that part of his man bits had popped out, and it wasn't pretty. UGH.

Second was when my former manager at my former PT job broke her leg, and we went to visit her. She broke it badly, and as such, as one of those external hardware things on it. Now, I can watch brain surgery, open heart surgery, surgery where you cut someone open, nad pull out their organs etc. i am a trauma show junkie. But what I can't stand is anything orthopedic. it just grosses me out. So when she pulled back the blanket, to reveal this thing on her leg, with pins going into it, i almost gagged and had to look away.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #19 on: Today at 07:49:44 AM »
I forgot one. My grandmother, when I was maybe 6 or 7? Don't recall exactly how old but I used to spend the night with her often. However, I had no idea her teeth were false! First time I saw her without her full dentures freaked me out.

EllenS

• My Author Page:
« Reply #20 on: Today at 07:56:43 AM »
This thread is starting to make me think of that Friends episode where somebody's new friend/boyfriend always goes commando and wears shorts.
"Put the mouse back in the house, buddy."

Daquiri40

« Reply #21 on: Today at 09:07:47 AM »
I was with my nun aunt and we went to take something to an immigrant family.  The man was painting the trim on the house in extremely short shorts.  Wearing no underwear.  His man parts on full display.  He chattered to us about a cat they had adopted and its kittens.  Those kittens sure were interesting!

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #22 on: Today at 09:32:55 AM »
When I was about 12, I went hiking with a friend and her dad. We stopped by a pond to eat lunch and my friend's dad decided to jump in for an impromptu swim. A word of advice to any men reading this: if you happen to be hiking with 12-year-old girls and there is any chance that swimming will occur, wear a bathing suit under your clothes. Thin, white, wet boxers are...really not OK.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

auntmeegs

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:34:24 AM »
The time when I was in college and I waltzed into my parents’ room without knocking and my mom was doing a job….

miladyrose

• I'm a thinker not a fighter
« Reply #24 on: Today at 10:08:36 AM »
I went to visit my great-aunt after her open heart surgery at her home a few months ago. We were talking about her recovery when she suddenly whipped her shirt up to show me the scars on her bare chest  :-X I'd never seen her undressed in any form before, and I definitely wasn't expecting her to flash me in the middle of a conversation  :o At least I know her scars are healing well...

TOLady

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:19:23 AM »
When DStep-Sis and I were organizing my Mom's memorial service and going through photos to put on the board, we came across a picture my Mom's husband took of my Mom and her Step-Sis on a beach somewhere in Europe - which, as we all know, encourages sunbathing in the raw.

Trust me - that picture did not end up in the memorial... Couldn't shred it fast enough.

However, looking back on it, it just reminds me of how free a spirit my Mom was when she was in good health.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #26 on: Today at 10:21:08 AM »
My great grandmother started having mental slips when she was in her 80's and accidentally took three doses of a blood thinning medication. She then showed us the results. White text for triggers.
Blood had pooled, so her lily white skin was black, under her skin from shoulder to hip, including her whole breast.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

KimberlyM

« Reply #27 on: Today at 12:04:04 PM »
I worked for my dad for year after school during high school and then full time for a few years after graduating.  One of my duties was opening the mail...which one day included scrabble enhancement medications.  Ugh.