News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 02, 2016, 12:33:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do your credit cards have honorifics on them?  (Read 790 times)

jane7166

Do your credit cards have honorifics on them?
« on: November 14, 2016, 04:03:56 PM »
DH and I have credit cards from a brokerage firm.  Mine got hacked so it got canceled.  We decided to change the accounts for both of our cards to a different level so the company issued us new ones.  We didn't fill out the forms, the firm did.   

I was really surprised to see that mine is Mrs. jane7166 and his is Mr. jane7166DH. 

I have never had Miss, Ms., Mrs. on my credit cards before.  I've been told that, if ordering on-line, I have to fill the card in as Mrs. jane7166.  That is annoying. 

Is this new or a throwback?  We've had issues with this brokerage which are on the sexist side and this seems to be ageist and sexist.  Why does anyone need to know that I am married? 

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Do your credit cards have honorifics on them?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 04:05:19 PM »
Very odd. I've never seen that before. None of my cards have honorifics.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Twik

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 04:26:46 PM »
Possibly if it's a joint account they use this to keep you and your husband separate?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jane7166

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 04:33:12 PM »
We have different card numbers.  And mine says Mrs. Jane Doe, not Mrs. John Doe.  If it had said Mrs. John Doe, I would have been on to the phone immediately insisting that they get their heads out of the 1950's.  His says Mr. John Doe. 

It's quite odd.

There is a long story behind our being issued new cards that is a bit sexist but it doesn't really pertain to this question.  Let's just say I thought they were sorry about the old setup.q

ClaireC79

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:35:53 PM »
My debit card does - no idea about the credit card

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 07:17:28 PM »
I find it quite odd. I've never seen it before (and I've worked retail, so I've seen a lot of cards).

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:42:41 PM »
That is odd.  I am entitled to an honorific that is not connected to my marital status.  I never bother with it, but the credit card company have offered to put it on my card.  Mine just say plain AmandaElizabeth though. 

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 09:40:13 PM »
Here we always get to choose "name to appear on card".   I always choose just my first initial and last name.    There is the option to use an honorific, and to use first and middle names or initials - the only compulsory part is the last name. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 10:48:31 PM »
I had a Sam's Club membership some time ago. I was very irritated that the checkout person was ordered to use the first name on my card: ""thank you, Firstname" (company-wide goofy dictate). It was irritating because I have been called "Copper" instead of Firstname for almost half a century. I went to the service desk, and asked if there was a charge to have a new card made if you needed a name change. They said no. I filled out a change card that listed my first name as "Mrs." They processed it without question. The next time I used it, the checker looked at the card, hesitated, and said, "Thank you, Mrs. Horsewoman." I smiled and said thanks, good work. All my other cards have either Copper or Firstname Horsewoman, no honorific.
BTW, Miss or Ms are, in the strictest etiquette, the only honorifics that can be used with a woman's first name. Mrs. is actually supposed to be used (again, in the strictest, most formal etiquette) with the husband's firstname, or, in the case of a divorced woman, with her maiden name first. Miss (or Ms) Elizabeth Taylor, for example, would have (at least at some point in her storied life) been Mrs. Taylor Burton. This is going by the wayside, especially as same-sex marriages would be very confusing, and multiple divorce and remarrying would create some unwieldy names, besides that it was a bit ridiculous.

Sara Crewe

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 11:38:37 PM »
My debit card (in the UK) has Ms S [initial] Crewe as the name (real name, obviously).  So does my credit card.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:53:48 PM by Sara Crewe »

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 01:08:18 AM »
My debit card (in the UK) has Ms S [initial] Crewe as the name (real name, obviously).  So does my credit card.
Same here, but I don't think they are considered important. When I got married I had to get them updated from Miss to Ms, but I didn't do that for several years and never had a problem using them.

Margo

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 05:49:20 AM »
I'm in the UK, too, and you can chose how you want your name to appear. I have mine as 'Ms M Lastname' rather than 'firstname lastname'.

the only time I have ever had an issue was when I got a company credit card where they initially messedup and put 'Ms M CompanyName' on it, but that was an error in the bank's part!

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 06:47:28 AM »
Mine do not.

Over a decade ago, I was working retail. A woman signed her credit card slip "Mrs. William D'Orange". I double checked her card- it did say "Mrs. William D'Orange". I had to ask for her first name- she said "Mary". I even had to check her driver's license- which was usually not necessary. Her card saying- and her signing- by Mrs. (husband's full name) only made things more complicated upon everyone, since I had to take extra steps verifying her identity that would not be necessary otherwise.
I have pet mice!

Carotte

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 08:11:10 AM »
France here, I think most if not all of our cards always have MR and MME (married)or MLE(not married).
It's only been a few years since the country phased Mademoiselle (Miss? the unmaried one) out of the official documents.
It was one of those thing that was just accepted, no revolution, they just got around to doing it.
(like our drivers licence that are now finaly plastic and credit card shapped instead of big and cardboard, still waiting on the IDs to be made the same size..).

But I don't think it's something legally required in the private anything, I think I usualy check the Madame (the "married" one) and was never questioned about it, if I am they'd get the "my marital status has nothing to do here" bit and I don't think anyone would bat an eye.
For my card/my bank I just never asked for it to be changed (I'm not married btw), I'd rather it said MME but not enough bothered by it to change it untill I need to renew my card anyway.

Cor

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 05:41:17 PM »
Mine don't.  And I would pretty much hate it if they did and would try to get rid of it.  I don't remember ever choosing to not have it on there, though.

I really hate being called "Mrs. LastName" in professional settings, since my husband has NOTHING to do with the fact that I went to law school and passed the Bar (well, he did help keep me sane, but beyond that...).  I don't mind being called Mrs. in relation to family issues, though, since that's related to me being married.  Having Mrs. on my credit card would make me feel like The Powers That Be think my money is all controlled by my husband or something though, and I wouldn't like that.

I'm also very cranky about the fact that no one can spell my first or (married) last name correctly, despite my best efforts.  My husband thinks I'm a little weird to be so cranky about all this stuff related to names, lol.