Author Topic: Songs That You Absolutely, Irrationally But Completely Cannot Stand.  (Read 9331 times)

Coley

Re: Songs That You Absolutely, Irrationally But Completely Cannot Stand.
« Reply #240 on: July 25, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »
And since we're mentioning Kenny Rogers, I will add "Islands in the Stream" with Dolly Parton.

"I set out to get you with a fine-toothed comb."

???

Ha ...

???: "That is what we are ..."

suekel

« Reply #241 on: July 25, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »
Any country song that came out in response to 9/11. 

The utter banality of lyrics like "I watch CNN but I don't think I can tell you the difference between Iraq and Iran" made me weep.

Yes!!  The one that really drives me bonkers is the "Brought to you courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" one by Toby Keith.  The lyric "We'll put a boot in your a*s, it's the American way...." is awful.

nuit93

« Reply #242 on: July 25, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »

The utter banality of lyrics like "I watch CNN but I don't think I can tell you the difference between Iraq and Iran" made me weep.

Yes!!  The one that really drives me bonkers is the "Brought to you courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" one by Toby Keith.  The lyric "We'll put a boot in your a*s, it's the American way...." is awful.

I think of that particular line as being an ironic commentary on US politics at the time the song was written.

poundcake

« Reply #243 on: July 25, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »

I think of that particular line as being an ironic commentary on US politics at the time the song was written.

That song is awful and embarrassing and ridiculous on so many levels. It makes Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling" look like lyrical genius.

magicdomino

« Reply #244 on: July 25, 2014, 04:14:16 PM »

That song is awful and embarrassing and ridiculous on so many levels. It makes Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling" look like lyrical genius.

At least Chuck Berry didn't expect anyone to take "My Ding-a-Ling" seriously. 

jolyan

« Reply #245 on: July 25, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
Eminem's So Far.
It samples a lot from Joe Walsh's Life's Been Good. It really just comes out sounding like a bad parody.
I've had to change the radio a lot on this song. I'm near Detroit so that may explain why it's always playing.

poundcake

« Reply #246 on: July 25, 2014, 05:43:46 PM »

At least Chuck Berry didn't expect anyone to take "My Ding-a-Ling" seriously.

I love you.

Because of this thread, I've been on a bit of a reflective look on bad music. How could I have so recently forgotten the particular joy wrought upon us by the Smiths, Second Generation? What is worse, Jayden's "rapping" or Willow's whipping of her hair?

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #247 on: July 25, 2014, 10:11:38 PM »

There are several artists that I would consider that a valid explanation for.  Toby Keith is not one of them.

perpetua

« Reply #248 on: July 26, 2014, 03:16:33 AM »
Ugh.  I really just cannot listen to that song.  It just feels like nails down a chalkboard.

A close second is "I Wanna Be A Rockstar".

"I want a brand new house on an episode of Cribs
And a bathroom I can play baseball in
And a king size tub
Big enough for ten plus me"

He sounds like a spoilt brat.    I bought a book for DS called I Want That! and the little boy turned into the I Want That Monster.  All well and good, he got what he wanted but at a price - everyone was scared of him.   

I'm not a Nickelback fan (honest!) but I don't think the lyrics to Rockstar are meant to be taken quite so literally. I'm fairly sure he's not singing about himself; I think it's meant to be a humorous commentary on people who want to be in the business purely for the trappings, or who want all this stuff and think becoming a rockstar is the easy way to accomplish it.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #249 on: July 26, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
Ugh.  I really just cannot listen to that song.  It just feels like nails down a chalkboard.

And a king size tub

He sounds like a spoilt brat.    I bought a book for DS called I Want That! and the little boy turned into the I Want That Monster.  All well and good, he got what he wanted but at a price - everyone was scared of him.   

I'm not a Nickelback fan (honest!) but I don't think the lyrics to Rockstar are meant to be taken quite so literally. I'm fairly sure he's not singing about himself; I think it's meant to be a humorous commentary on people who want to be in the business purely for the trappings, or who want all this stuff and think becoming a rockstar is the easy way to accomplish it.

Yeah, perpetua's idea is more along the lines of what the song's about, imo.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

shadowfox79

It struck me at that time...sheesh, if that's all one had to do to be thought of as "beautiful", nobody would ever wear glasses ever again (a huge point in my life then as I had to wear glasses and hated them, and seeing this laid bare on TV gave me all the more reason to believe glasses = ugly!). Of course, it's all ridiculous and totally shallow.  >:(

I remember spending my teenage years convinced that if I could only get laser eye surgery I would be stunning. It was rather disappointing to discover that there would be no "Why, Miss Jones, you're beautiful!" moment.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I've been spending lots of time in the car (road trip weekend) and listening to lyrics that don't make sense. I don't hate the songs, but I will keep track tomorrow so I can share.

Cherry91

And a king size tub

Yeah, perpetua's idea is more along the lines of what the song's about, imo.

Yeah, I also think the idea of the song is that people don't actually get that being an entertainer still involves a lot of work - there's the bit where the creepy slightly demonic voice says "How you gonna do it?" and the song states that they'll "cut their hair and change their name", instead of say, "I'll learn to play the guitar and write my own songs!"

magicdomino

I've been spending lots of time in the car (road trip weekend) and listening to lyrics that don't make sense. I don't hate the songs, but I will keep track tomorrow so I can share.

Lots of lyrics make little or no sense.  Duran Duran's "View to a Kill" is an excellent example.  I love the song, and even some of the lines, especially the chorus.  It helps to know that this is the title song for a James Bond movie.  But this part:

"A sacred why, a mystery gaping inside
The weekend's why"

The weekend?  Seriously, the weekend?  James Bond doesn't work 9 to 5 business hours.

Dazi

• like the flower
Police's De do do do,  de da da da

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah