News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 29, 2015, 01:55:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What do you see in that dress?

Blue and black
34 (20%)
White and Gold
72 (42.4%)
Sometimes one and sometimes the other
29 (17.1%)
I don't care
35 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Author Topic: The dress that "broke the internet"  (Read 2676 times)

Miss Understood

Re: The dress that "broke the internet"
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 03:12:04 AM »
OP here - I have now seen pictures where it looks white and gold.  The thing that still gets me is that when I first saw it, on our TV with DH and I both looking at it at the same time, we saw it completely differently.  And I had no idea that there was any controversy about it at the time - I was like "do you mean what shade of blue?"

Micah

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:33 AM »
I saw both blue and black and white and gold. It depends which way I look at it. If I let my eyes unfocus (sort of like looking at a magic eye picture), it's white and gold. Just looking at it normally it's blue and black.

I'm the same with that animation of the dancer. If you see her spinning to the right it means you're right brained, left is left brained. I can see her spin, right and left and if I really focus, she gets stuck going left, right, left, right  :P
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

LadyDyani

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »
My husband insists that it is a huge trolling experiment, and the pictures we've seen online are being changed, or are slow gifs changing from one color to the other.

I think he's joking, but I can't quite be sure.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Chipmunky

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »
My husband is completely fed up with this debate raging in his office. I found a not ehell approved image that gave him a laugh. The image involves a multicolored lobster, holding a beige-ish  colored dress, shaped much like the one in question with the caption, "It's (rude word for anus) colored, to match your (rude word again) face."

Definitely not appropriate for the office or to share in polite society, but in the privacy of our own home, it did give him a much needed chuckle after the aggravation of coworkers demanding he stop what he's doing (when not on phone with clients) and give an opinion.

mime

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 11:46:21 AM »
I saw both blue and black and white and gold. It depends which way I look at it. If I let my eyes unfocus (sort of like looking at a magic eye picture), it's white and gold. Just looking at it normally it's blue and black.

I'm the same with that animation of the dancer. If you see her spinning to the right it means you're right brained, left is left brained. I can see her spin, right and left and if I really focus, she gets stuck going left, right, left, right  :P

I see that too! I call her the wobbling dancer.

Mikayla

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »
I was so sure it was white and gold and even though I'd read the reasoning, I just couldn't see the blue and black.  That is, until I was thinking about something else  and I was kind of spaced out at my computer and let my eyes slide out of focus.  Then I saw the blue and black.   But if I focused on the dress again, it went back to white and gold.  I also found I could see the blue and black if I scrolled down until only the bottom quarter of the photo was showing, eliminating the lighting trick.

This is why the whole thing fascinates.  Usually, if I stare long enough, I can see the other "side".  But on this one, it was gold and white (with maybe a very pale light blue tint).

But here's my question.  When you say you saw blue and black, do you mean a rich royal blue like the original dress?  And pure black lace?  My brain just won't make that happen.  Both my housemates are the same way.

Elisabunny

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 02:20:20 PM »
I found the whole thing interesting because I could immediately tell that there was something really wonky about the colors.  But I couldn't decide if it was white dress photographed through a window, or a blue dress with really bad lighting.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 02:29:48 PM »
I was so sure it was white and gold and even though I'd read the reasoning, I just couldn't see the blue and black.  That is, until I was thinking about something else  and I was kind of spaced out at my computer and let my eyes slide out of focus.  Then I saw the blue and black.   But if I focused on the dress again, it went back to white and gold.  I also found I could see the blue and black if I scrolled down until only the bottom quarter of the photo was showing, eliminating the lighting trick.

This is why the whole thing fascinates.  Usually, if I stare long enough, I can see the other "side".  But on this one, it was gold and white (with maybe a very pale light blue tint).

But here's my question.  When you say you saw blue and black, do you mean a rich royal blue like the original dress?  And pure black lace?  My brain just won't make that happen.  Both my housemates are the same way.

Rich, rich blue. The black looked sort of wonky, like when you see black ink from a weird angle and it's a little rust-colored.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »
I'm glad I found this thread. When I started seeing "the dress" all over Facebook, some of the photos people posted looked white and gold, while others looked blue and black. I didn't read the text closely and I assumed people were just seeing/posting different photos (the same photo but with changed parameters, that is). One person even posted two images side by side, one where it looked blue/black and one where it looked white/gold. I didn't get what the big deal was (but then I often don't).

Now I realize you're meant to bring over another person in real life and have them look at the exact same photo at the same time on the same screen, and possibly get a different result. Or, know that you are looking at the exact same photo on the same screen, but at different times, and possibly get a different result. It makes a lot more sense now why people were so interested.
~Lynn2000

Jocelyn

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 06:39:14 PM »
I see it as a rich, royal blue; the lace is black, but you could convince me that there's gold threads in the black lace. It looks sort of rusty.