Author Topic: What do you love about your smartphone? What do you hate about it?  (Read 831 times)

BeagleMommy

Re: What do you love about your smartphone? What do you hate about it?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
Bear with me because I'll admit I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to smart phones.

I have an HTC something or other and I hate every aspect of it.  I really dislike touch screens because they someone don't react to my fingers.  I've told DH I need to "downgrade" my phone because the only feature I use is the actual phone.  I've never sent a text, I don't use the GPS because I really don't go anywhere new without DH (and the GPS in the car works better any way), I don't even know what all the other aps do.  I have an iPod (which I do like) so I don't need it for music.

I want a phone that has actual buttons to push and I want it to ring so I can answer it.  That's all.  If they go the way of the dodo I'll adjust when I have no other choice.

Arila

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »
I have a Samsung Note 2. I chose it for the big screen, since I frequently read things on it, and like to be able to fit a few paragraphs of text on the screen at a time instead of scrolling every sentence. My next phone is already purchased, a Sony Experia Z Ultra. Even bigger. :) Bigger screens, I think more due to plain old physics rather than anything that could ever be helped by construction, are prone to damage, and I've cracked the screen on the samsung. Somewhat economical to fix, only about $100.

I really liked my Motorola android phone (Droid X - too old to get now) and my husband has the Moto X (also being refreshed this fall). We have found both handsets to be very very durable, with no material  or electrical faults. The things I love about his Moto X is that the camera function is super easy to get to with the corkscrew gesture, and the always listening google voice. Very nice in the car, he can just tell it "OK Google Now, Call Arila" and wherever the phone is in the car, it calls me without him ever taking his hands off the wheel. It also has super endurance battery life. He forgets to charge it sometimes overnight, and it goes on 'til the next day! I would totally have a moto x if my primary buying decision wasn't screen size. (Are you listening Motorola? I want a phablet!)

Honestly though, when I was considering Apple or Android, I considered more strongly the communication modes of those nearest and dearest to me. We were already using google emails, and google calendars and google chats (now hangouts). If your husband has (and is keeping) his iDevice, will you be blocking one of your normal communication modes? Even if I was willing to move to Apple (I'm opposite to you, the 6's were finally appealing to me - see commentary on screen size!), I wouldn't do it, because my communication streams are so enmeshed with google that it would be a real headache to go over unless I organized a family-wide coup.

I would also just do some research. I mean, we are talking hundreds of dollars to be spent on this, so take an afternoon or two this weekend and go to CNET and read some of the articles. They are big fans of comparison articles between "flagship" phones, both Android/Android and Android/Apple. They compare things like performance and battery life, and maybe some other things (camera quality) that you might not realize you care about.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
I do love my Sony Z1s and one of the best things is the camera. 21 mega pixels, and takes full HD video as well. Speaker is pretty good on it also.

veronaz

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »
I haven't had a 'dropped' call on my smartphone.  That was so annoying on previous cellphones.

Camera is better than with my old flip phone.

Internet surfing is great.  But I don't like the touch keyboard; hard to type.  I often give up and use my desktop computer if I'm home.

kckgirl

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »
Like: If I'm out and about and want to know something immediately, I can look it up.

Dislike: The battery needs to be charged every day to day-and-a-half.
Maryland

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 10:50:07 PM »
<snip>
Dislike (hate is too strong of a word)
1. Android phones from major wireless carriers come with bloatware. You can take if off if you root your phone, but then you void your warranty.
<snip>
5. The camera is not great. The only camera I really like is the Windows Phone.

Just to comment on these two things...the Nexus phone can be used with all major carriers now (I think even Verizon, although you'd need a different phone than the one for the other networks, if I remember correctly). You have to buy it outright, but it seems like that's becoming sort of common even for things like iPhones, and it is legitimately cheaper than buying other smartphones at full price. And, best of all, there is no bloatware. There are Google apps that you can't uninstall, but the phone itself actually does not come with a ton of apps, and any of them can be at least removed from the quick access bar and/or home screens entirely.

I also have found the camera to be quite good, and definitely comparable to the iPhone. The front facing camera is not terribly high quality, but I think that's common across smart phones. The rear facing camera takes pictures equivalent to a good point and shoot.