News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 27, 2016, 01:25:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lasagna - update  (Read 1036 times)

EmmaJ.

Lasagna - update
« on: July 08, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »
I accidently bought oven-ready lasagna noodles and not sure if I should go ahead and use them.  I have no idea how they wil turn out. 

Should I use extra marinara sauce because the noodles will absorb some?  Or should I go ahead and boil them anyway?

I'm just nervous the lasagna noodles will turn mushy.  Does anyone have some advice on using them?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:48:29 PM by EmmaJ. »

Outdoor Girl

Re: Lasagna
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 07:12:13 PM »
Follow the directions on the box?  That's what I'd do, anyway.  I don't mean to be flip but I've used box cake mixes where people have sworn up and down that it was the best cake they've ever had and asked me for the recipe.  'It's Betty Crocker.  Follow the directions on the box.'  They still don't believe me.  Even when I show them the dang box!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

FoxPaws

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »
I bought these recently and they worked great - no boiling or extra sauce necessary.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:24:07 PM »
I prefer these over dried, they go straight on. Make sure they're covered.

POF

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 07:26:34 PM »
I use them all the time - especially in my XMAS lasagna.  When I use them for every day be sure to
extra

1) but some sauce on the bottom
2) use jarred sauce - but use a bit
3) COVER THE LASAGNA WITH FOIL for the first 20 minutes

When i use them - they are never mushy and turn out great

lmyrs

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 07:33:19 PM »
They will work well but definitely do not boil them. They will turn mushy if you boil them first.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I just finished making the meat sauce and it's in the fridge for the night.  I will be making the lasagna tomorrow morning for our lunch potluck, and will report back to you all.  Fingers crossed!

EmmaJ.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 05:21:14 PM »
Well, I won't be using oven ready noodles again.  I followed directions exactly, and the noodles turned out very very soft - just short of being mushy.  We all prefer al dente.

On the other hand, there were no leftovers so I can't really complain.  :D

GardenGal

Re: Lasagna - update
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 01:34:50 AM »
Sorry the noodles were mushy, they've always worked for me. You can also use regular lasagna noodles without cooking them.  I've done this many times, but you have to prepare the lasagna the day before you cook it. 

I just use my usual ingredients but if the sauce is very thick I might add a bit of water to it before layering the sauce, dry lasagna noodles, cheese or meat filling, etc. in the pan.  I cover it tightly with foil and keep it in the fridge overnight and bake it as usual the following day. So far this has always worked great for me, as the dry pasta absorbs the extra moisture so the result is perfect.

floridamom

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »
A friend of posted on FB how to make lasagna in the crock pot!! It is so simple and easy.  No precooking noodles.  I love it.  :)

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 02:27:09 PM »
A friend of posted on FB how to make lasagna in the crock pot!! It is so simple and easy.  No precooking noodles.  I love it.  :)

Would you be willing to share? :)
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."