News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 31, 2015, 02:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phrases/sayings you hate  (Read 118854 times)

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
Re: Phrases/sayings you hate
« Reply #1755 on: May 29, 2015, 06:53:13 PM »
To me "doge" is the chief magistrate of an Italian city-state. And nothing else...

(I had to look up the meme, because a classical education can be a handicap on the interwebs...)

As in a bit of spoof-Shakespeare heard on the radio long ago --

OTHELLO:  Where are you off to in such a hurry, Iago?

IAGO:  Oh, I've just got to go and see a man about a Doge.

Thanks. Now I have this from The Court Jester stuck in my head:
King Roderick: The Duke. What did the Duke do?

Hubert Hawkins: Eh... the Duke do?

King Roderick: Yes. And what about the Doge?

Hubert Hawkins: Oh, the Doge!

King Roderick: Eh. Well what did the Doge do?

Hubert Hawkins: The Doge do?

King Roderick: Yes, the Doge do.

Hubert Hawkins: Well, uh, the Doge did what the Doge does. Eh, uh, when the Doge does his duty to the Duke, that is.

King Roderick: What? What's that?

Hubert Hawkins: Oh, it's very simple, sire. When the Doge did his duty and the Duke didn't, that's when the Duchess did the dirt to the Duke with the Doge.

King Roderick: Who did what to what?

Hubert Hawkins: Oh, they all did, sire. There they were in the dark; the Duke with his dagger, the Doge with his dart, Duchess with her dirk.

King Roderick: Duchess with her dirk?

Hubert Hawkins: Yes! The Duchess dove at the Duke just when the Duke dove at the Doge. Now the Duke ducked, the Doge dodged, and the Duchess didn't. So the Duke got the Duchess, the Duchess got the Doge, and the Doge got the Duke!

King Roderick: Curious. I... I... hm? What? What's that? All I heard was that the Duchess had a siege of rheumatism. She's 83, you know.

;D ;D ;D And this is why I love this forum so much.
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1756 on: May 29, 2015, 09:59:40 PM »
Fleek

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1757 on: May 30, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »
Fleek

A totally new word to me -- Googling suggested the seemingly recently-come-about trendy expression "on fleek", which apparently denotes "perfect, or as near as possible": or are we on different pages here?

Brought first of all to my mind by your post, was the no doubt totally unrelated Flook; a rather endearing character in a long-running mid-20th-century gently satirical British comic strip (perhaps rather a parallel to "Calvin and Hobbes"): chief characters a small boy called Rufus, and his friend Flook -- a similarly-sized member of an uncatalogued, rather cute, mammalian species.  Rufus and Flook had endless adventures, in the course of which all manner of things on the British social and political scene were -- on the whole, affectionately and not-nastily -- mocked.

www.tcj.com/looking-back-at-flook-an-interview-with-wally-fawkes/