Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 280117 times)

Miss Vertigo

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2010, 02:24:16 AM »
Who was my grandfather, and what happened to him after my father was born? We have no idea. Literally no idea.

My father never knew him. Never met him. Was always told 'your father is dead'.  We have a name and that is all and we know he was an Irishman. He was married to my grandmother and then poof - disappeared. My father remembers seeing his parents' marriage certificate, as a child. He can tell me details of what was on that marriage certificate, details he wouldn't have known had he not seen it. My grandmother's death in 1955 was registered under her married name so all things point to them having been married. And yet despite searching all the online genealogy resources I know how to search I can find absolutely no record whatsoever of a marriage between his parents. No record of a death (or divorce) around the period my father was born.  It's the darndest thing.

I would love to trace his details and find out more about him - from what I can work out he served in the Irish Guard  (oh, and that's another thing - I can find no military records either) and that's why he was in England, so I'd imagine his would be an interesting story, but without a rough idea of his age at the time of marriage, without the elusive marriage certificate that seems to have vanished from the records, which would allow me a rough stab at finding a birth certificate, we're still in the dark.

One day, I will become famous, go on Who Do You Think You Are and then someone will work all this stuff out for me.

(And as an aside: why did my smoke alarm above my bed, where I'm currently sitting, and which has *never* gone off before, ever, completely randomly go off for about five seconds then stop while I was typing this?!?!)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:25:59 AM by Miss Vertigo »

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2010, 05:10:58 AM »
Years ago I had an answering machine that called the operator all on its own. It was very sporadic and I could never figure out a pattern. Sometimes it would be in the middle of the night and I would be awoken, quite startled, to the sound of a click and then "Operator 9 (or whatever number that particular operator had) can I help you? ....Hello Operator 9 can I help you?...Is anyone there?"

Sometimes it happened when I was awake, in the other room. I suppose I should have answered it then, but I never did.

Sometimes I would come home to find the message light blinking, indicating I had a message, only to find it was from some operator asking if she could help me.

It was quite bizarre. Nobody ever had an explanation.

My old mobile phone use to randomly call an a friend of mine from time to time.  At first I thought it might be because he was one of the contacts on my address book, so I moved him down the list.  Nope, that didn't work.  Then I made sure to always lock the keypad.  Nope.
I then deleted the contact and re-entered into my phone with slightly different information (same number).  And watched in horror one night, as my phone came to life while I was at the dinner table, and phone that poor man's number AGAIN!

I kept telling my friend at it wasn't me doing the phoning, though I don't know if he truly believed me.  As he's always been a bit cold to me after that, I can't help wondering if he thinks I was trying to play a joke on him or something.  Because- come on, whose going to believe that the actual phone is one doing the stalking!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:28:11 AM by Cellardoor14 »

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2010, 06:53:02 AM »
Where did my car go??

I had an old '88 Nissan about 5 years ago. It was beaten up, the trunk was held shut with a bungee cord and sounded terrible. It has about 250,000 miles on it. It broke down on me one day and I had it towed back to my townhouse. The timing chain was broken. I was visiting my parents a couple of days later and my BF called. He walked outside and the car was gone. Just gone. There was some broken glass in the dirt where it had been, but that's all. Who would want it? I cannot imagine someone risking stealing my old POS. and furthermore, how did they get it out?? It would have to have been towed. I had a lot of neighbors, yet no one saw anything.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2010, 07:37:25 AM »
Just wanted to mention that I started a spin-off thread on sleep paralysis for anyone who's interested: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=78160.0.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2010, 08:32:28 AM »
Where did my car go??

I had an old '88 Nissan about 5 years ago. It was beaten up, the trunk was held shut with a bungee cord and sounded terrible. It has about 250,000 miles on it. It broke down on me one day and I had it towed back to my townhouse. The timing chain was broken. I was visiting my parents a couple of days later and my BF called. He walked outside and the car was gone. Just gone. There was some broken glass in the dirt where it had been, but that's all. Who would want it? I cannot imagine someone risking stealing my old POS. and furthermore, how did they get it out?? It would have to have been towed. I had a lot of neighbors, yet no one saw anything.

My sister lost a car once.  I don't think it's ever been found.  She parked it on the street, went to wherever she was going, and when she came out she could not for the life of her find it.  I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but from what I've always been told they couldn't ever determine if it had been stolen or not because she couldn't remember where she had parked it.  My guess would be it was probably stolen and she couldn't convince herself that she knew 100% exactly where she had parked it to determine that it was really gone from that spot.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2010, 09:48:23 AM »
Also, What Was That Smell?

I have this one listed in the Ghost Story thread.  Basically, I came home from work one winter day and put my things in my bedroom.  Which reeeeeeeeked of Eau de Very Cheap Perfume.  It was nauseating.  I started hunting around the room, thinking a bottle or something spilled.  Nothing was found.  I went to apologize to my roommates for the stench and discovered you could only smell it in my room.  The very next day, the smell was completely gone.  I found this weird because my sister broke a bottle of perfume in my dorm bathroom and though I scrubbed the tile down about 90,569,023,252 times, the smell was extremely overpowering for a couple of weeks and you could smell it all the way down the hall.  We did ask my landlord who lived below us but he knew nothing about it.

Do you get migraines?  They can cause you to smell things that aren't there.  Mine are chlorine and smoke.  People in my migraine support group report a wide variety of different phantom smells.

Nope.  My roommates could smell it too, it just wasn't coming out of the room at all.  We did think maybe our landlord had used some nasty room spray or something in his apartment below ours (it was very floral) but he hadn't been home all day and was just as puzzled as the rest of us.  It was the dead of winter, so there wasn't any spraying or anything going on.  It didn't smell like a cleaner or chemical at all, it really smelled like very cheap perfume that you could buy at the drug store for a couple of bucks.  Like most things, I'm sure there's a rational explanation.  I'm just dying to know what it is!

The crank calls reminded me of another story.  This still creeps me out and it's been 27 years.

I have a cousin who's 2 years older than me and our birthdays are very close together.  The year she was 12 and I was 10, she had a sleepover and I was invited.  Our birthdays are in September, so it was still nice outside.  My aunt let us have the party in a camping trailer that was parked right next to the garage.  A big power cord ran from the garage to the trailer so we had lights and everything.

So we're goofing around and acting like kids do when one of the girls happened to glance at the door.  She suddenly stopped laughing and her face just drained of color.  We all wanted to know what was going on but all she could say was something like, "Did you see him?"  Apparently, she saw someone peeking in the window.  Naturally, this completely freaked everyone out but we decided to carry on, thinking it was someone playing a prank. (And someone locked the door).  But then a few other girls saw a man with really bushy white hair that was standing up on end peering into the window from time to time.  My older cousin (I think she was 15) was convinced it was my uncle playing a joke but then she started to get spooked and we all made a dash for the house.  In doing so, we woke up their parents, who obviously had nothing to do with it.  They called the police but as far as I know, nothing was ever found. 

We spent the rest of the night in the family room.  With the lights on.

sbagirl

« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2010, 09:53:03 AM »
Who was Father Winter?

It was 1973 and my uncle had just returned from a 5-year long overseas missionary trip.  He was staying at our house for a week or two until he went to his next assignment in another state.  One afternoon, my uncle was out somewhere when an elderly man came to our door and asked for him by name.  I said he wasn't there and the man asked me to tell him that "Father Winter" had been here to see him and that he'd stop by again. He then walked down the steps and headed down the sidewalk toward the main street.

When my uncle got home, I told him this and he was quite puzzled.  He asked me several times if I was sure that was the man's name.  I said I was quite sure because he had repeated it several times ("Be sure you tell him Father Winter was here," etc.).  He also asked me several times to describe the man, which I did, and he then asked if the man had a car.  I told him I hadn't seen a car and that he had, in fact, walked down the sidewalk toward the main road - a fact which really seemed to surprise my uncle althought I don't know why. 

My uncle clearly didn't seem to know who he was (at least by that name) but also said something mysterious about wondering how "he" had found him.  Since my uncle was my mother's brother, he had a different last name than we did, so "Father Winter" wouldn't have found his name listed at our address.  Father Winter never came back while my uncle was there and, on subsequent visits, my uncle asked if he'd ever stopped back.  He never did.

My uncle died a few years later and I never did find out what that was all about.

LeeLee88

« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2010, 09:56:48 AM »
Who was my grandfather, and what happened to him after my father was born? We have no idea. Literally no idea.

My father never knew him. Never met him. Was always told 'your father is dead'.  We have a name and that is all and we know he was an Irishman. He was married to my grandmother and then poof - disappeared. My father remembers seeing his parents' marriage certificate, as a child. He can tell me details of what was on that marriage certificate, details he wouldn't have known had he not seen it. My grandmother's death in 1955 was registered under her married name so all things point to them having been married. And yet despite searching all the online genealogy resources I know how to search I can find absolutely no record whatsoever of a marriage between his parents. No record of a death (or divorce) around the period my father was born.  It's the darndest thing.

I would love to trace his details and find out more about him - from what I can work out he served in the Irish Guard  (oh, and that's another thing - I can find no military records either) and that's why he was in England, so I'd imagine his would be an interesting story, but without a rough idea of his age at the time of marriage, without the elusive marriage certificate that seems to have vanished from the records, which would allow me a rough stab at finding a birth certificate, we're still in the dark.

One day, I will become famous, go on Who Do You Think You Are and then someone will work all this stuff out for me.

(And as an aside: why did my smoke alarm above my bed, where I'm currently sitting, and which has *never* gone off before, ever, completely randomly go off for about five seconds then stop while I was typing this?!?!)

Call the Ghosthunters!!  That's fantastic!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2010, 09:58:18 AM »

I have this one listed in the Ghost Story thread.  Basically, I came home from work one winter day and put my things in my bedroom.  Which reeeeeeeeked of Eau de Very Cheap Perfume.  It was nauseating.  I started hunting around the room, thinking a bottle or something spilled.  Nothing was found.  I went to apologize to my roommates for the stench and discovered you could only smell it in my room.  The very next day, the smell was completely gone.  I found this weird because my sister broke a bottle of perfume in my dorm bathroom and though I scrubbed the tile down about 90,569,023,252 times, the smell was extremely overpowering for a couple of weeks and you could smell it all the way down the hall.  We did ask my landlord who lived below us but he knew nothing about it.

Do you get migraines?  They can cause you to smell things that aren't there.  Mine are chlorine and smoke.  People in my migraine support group report a wide variety of different phantom smells.

Really?? I didn't know that!

That may explain why I smell perfume sometimes. I'm allergic to some scents, so I don't have much of anything like that in the house.

If you read about the early experiments in brain mapping, a strong sensation such as an odour can be triggered by stimulating one very small part of the brain - the brain thinks it's getting a real "signal". So I can well believe that migraines can trigger all sorts of "instant sensations".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »

I have this one listed in the Ghost Story thread.  Basically, I came home from work one winter day and put my things in my bedroom.  Which reeeeeeeeked of Eau de Very Cheap Perfume.  It was nauseating.  I started hunting around the room, thinking a bottle or something spilled.  Nothing was found.  I went to apologize to my roommates for the stench and discovered you could only smell it in my room.  The very next day, the smell was completely gone.  I found this weird because my sister broke a bottle of perfume in my dorm bathroom and though I scrubbed the tile down about 90,569,023,252 times, the smell was extremely overpowering for a couple of weeks and you could smell it all the way down the hall.  We did ask my landlord who lived below us but he knew nothing about it.

Really?? I didn't know that!

That may explain why I smell perfume sometimes. I'm allergic to some scents, so I don't have much of anything like that in the house.

If you read about the early experiments in brain mapping, a strong sensation such as an odour can be triggered by stimulating one very small part of the brain - the brain thinks it's getting a real "signal". So I can well believe that migraines can trigger all sorts of "instant sensations".

People who have seizures sometimes find them preceded by a disembodied smell also.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2010, 10:23:55 AM »
Where did my car go??

In the early 60's, some guys were towing a trailer carrying an old wreck of a car they were hoping to restore.   It was a Hudson Hornet, as I recall from the article.    Something went wrong with the  trailer and they had to leave it, car and all on a country road.    That was the last they saw of it as both trailer and car were stolen.

In the late 1990's, the owner was at a car show and discovered his long lost car, still unrestored.   The VIN number matched his records and he identified a hole they had drilled in the floor in order to run a wire.   The police files on the case were long gone, but the guy had kept his copies of the paper work.

So he got his car back.   The current owner wasn't charged with anything as the theft occurred before he was even born.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »

Have you checked church records?  The Catholic church keeps meticulous records of people hatched, matched and dispatched.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #177 on: May 19, 2010, 10:30:32 AM »

Call the Ghosthunters!!  That's fantastic!

LeeLee, it gets weirder. A few minutes after I hit post, I dug my father's birth certificate out of the drawer and as I was reading it, the smoke alarm went off again.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »

Have you checked church records?  The Catholic church keeps meticulous records of people hatched, matched and dispatched.

Not yet, no. That was going to be my next step - look for the parish records in the area of London where they lived and probably would have married.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »
Check the smoke alarm battery. Different brands have different ways of warning you that the battery is low.