Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 276902 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1710 on: April 06, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »
This quote from the I've got a question?! thread hit me like a lightening bolt

Just tell her.  I once worked with someone who wrote EVERY EMAIL IN CAPITAL LETTERS. He didn't realise it could be considered yelling he just thought it made it easier to read. When he was told he stopped straight away.
Dad always wrote in all caps - because it was easier to read. Makes total sense now.There are no mirror image letters/near mirror image letters in the capital letters. (I'm convinced from comments he and his sister made about him growing up that Dad was a dyslexic - so avoiding mirror and near mirror image letters (dbqgpce) would make sense.)

This likely explains so much about (non-legal) MIL. I never thought of it like that. Of course, for many other people, all caps is extremely difficult to read. Hmm… app idea: conversion from all caps to sentence case and vice-versa. Going to all caps is easy, but having decent real-language processing to avoid things like Macgregor is less easy…
My mother wrote in all caps because it was easier to type that way with arthritic hands.  She didn't have to use the shift key.  She did stop, though, when we explained about the shouting. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Asharah

« Reply #1711 on: April 07, 2012, 12:30:04 AM »
THIS IS ME TALKING LOUDLY

THIS IS ME SHOUTING
Asharah

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1712 on: April 07, 2012, 09:12:16 AM »
I recently asked DF where the scraper for the wallpaper was (I am redecorating our front room and need to scrape all the old wallpaper off). He said, quite reasonably, "in the cutlery drawer".

My mysteries are:

1) Why a wallpaper scraper is in the cutlery drawer
2) Why I just accepted this and didn't query it.

:-\
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1713 on: April 07, 2012, 12:06:07 PM »

This likely explains so much about (non-legal) MIL. I never thought of it like that. Of course, for many other people, all caps is extremely difficult to read. Hmm… app idea: conversion from all caps to sentence case and vice-versa. Going to all caps is easy, but having decent real-language processing to avoid things like Macgregor is less easy…
You mean like this?
http://www.pcdon.com/030407WordPrintProblemsAllCaps.html

Maybe it only works on word documents.  I couldn't get it to work here. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:12:43 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #1714 on: April 09, 2012, 10:08:03 AM »

You mean like this?
http://www.pcdon.com/030407WordPrintProblemsAllCaps.html

Maybe it only works on word documents.  I couldn't get it to work here. 

A lot of word-processing programs have those types of conversions, to varying degrees of intelligent results. I was thinking my MIL needs it for her iPhone so that we can actually make sense of her text messages she sends us…

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #1715 on: April 09, 2012, 12:37:11 PM »
I always wanted to know why they call Snoopy a beagle, even though he looks nothing like any beagle I've ever seen.

Snooks

« Reply #1716 on: April 09, 2012, 12:50:14 PM »
Where did the book of matches in my handbag come from?  They're for a restaurant in Savannah, where I've never been and I found them in a pocket of the bag I never use.

BarensMom

« Reply #1717 on: April 09, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »
Why do dogs choose to throw up/pee/poo on the carpet when there are tile floors in the majority of the house?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1718 on: April 09, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »
Why do dogs choose to throw up/pee/poo on the carpet when there are tile floors in the majority of the house?

1.  They think it feels like grass?
2.  They think it won't show up so much?
3.  They think it will be less likely that they will slip in it themselves and fall down and embarrass themselves in front of your family and guests?
4.  Just to tick you off?   ???

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #1719 on: April 09, 2012, 11:11:58 PM »

It's in their contract. ::)

IslandMama

« Reply #1720 on: April 10, 2012, 06:50:58 AM »
Maybe it's a chemical thing with your body oils rather than electrical field?

Maybe it is, I don't know.  It's just one of those weird things where I just kind of shrug and accept that it's what happens with me and then I think my DH is lucky I'm not always wanting expensive jewellery.  :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1721 on: April 10, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »

LOL!  Best answer ever!   ;D

BarensMom

« Reply #1722 on: April 10, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »

LOL!  Best answer ever!   ;D

Well, it's a better one than I got from Baren.  When I asked him, he rolled his eyes and walked away.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #1723 on: April 10, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
What became of Virginia W?   She was a married neighbor of mine, who had four children.   She was a lovely person.  Even though she was older, my friends and I would sit around with her and chat on summer evenings.

Time went by and we grew up and moved away.  Virginia's husband (a drunken lout) divorced her and got to keep the house and the kids. 

The last time I saw Virginia was Valentine's Day, 1977, in the public library.   She seemed like she'd had a stroke or something.    I tried looking her up on the internet, with no luck.  Not even on Ancestry.com.   It's like she never existed.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1724 on: April 10, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »
WHY do I keep reading posts/watching videos put together by members of various creepypasta sites?  I have to go to bed sometime and I don't fancy sleeping with the lights on....I know this will happen and I do it anyway...why why why?