Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 291418 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1725 on: April 11, 2012, 12:43:37 AM »
What became of Virginia W?   She was a married neighbor of mine, who had four children.   She was a lovely person.  Even though she was older, my friends and I would sit around with her and chat on summer evenings.

Time went by and we grew up and moved away.  Virginia's husband (a drunken lout) divorced her and got to keep the house and the kids. 

The last time I saw Virginia was Valentine's Day, 1977, in the public library.   She seemed like she'd had a stroke or something.    I tried looking her up on the internet, with no luck.  Not even on Ancestry.com.   It's like she never existed.

:'(
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #1726 on: April 11, 2012, 09:40:34 AM »
Can you try to look up Virginia's children on Facebook and message one of them?

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #1727 on: April 12, 2012, 10:01:44 AM »

Thank you, I'd like to spare them from having to tell me if she's no long among the living.  She seemed in poor health in 1977 and would be in her late 70's now.

Pinky830

« Reply #1728 on: April 12, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »

Thank you, I'd like to spare them from having to tell me if she's no long among the living.  She seemed in poor health in 1977 and would be in her late 70's now.

I think her children would be touched to know that you remember her fondly and wonder about her. Someone asked about my grandfather years after he passed, and it pleased me immensely to talk to someone about him after all that time.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #1729 on: April 12, 2012, 04:57:14 PM »
WHY do I keep reading posts/watching videos put together by members of various creepypasta sites?  I have to go to bed sometime and I don't fancy sleeping with the lights on....I know this will happen and I do it anyway...why why why?

Ok. Creepypasta sites? Fusilli gone bad? Delinquent ditalini? Sleazy spaghetti?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1730 on: April 12, 2012, 05:29:10 PM »
WHY do I keep reading posts/watching videos put together by members of various creepypasta sites?  I have to go to bed sometime and I don't fancy sleeping with the lights on....I know this will happen and I do it anyway...why why why?

Makes me think of this Farside cartoon:

http://parkhillchefs.blogspot.com/2010/04/when-potato-salad-goes-bad.html

HungryHungryKitties

« Reply #1731 on: April 12, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »

Maniacal manicotti...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1732 on: April 12, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »

<hysterical giggles> 

I'm gonna go with Fusilli gone bad.  Also Maniacal Manicotti.

I spent too much time listening to TheLittleFears and the late Chris Craft on Youtube retell creepy stories from the old creepypasta.com website featuring such creepy details as why one should probably NOT allow their children to ride the haunted train ride at a now defunct amusement park or why it's a bad, bad idea to leave the lights ON when you are scared of the dark.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1733 on: April 12, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »

<hysterical giggles> 

I spent too much time listening to TheLittleFears and the late Chris Craft on Youtube retell creepy stories from the old creepypasta.com website featuring such creepy details as why one should probably NOT allow their children to ride the haunted train ride at a now defunct amusement park or why it's a bad, bad idea to leave the lights ON when you are scared of the dark.
"Maniacal Manicotti" would be a good band name...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1734 on: April 12, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »

<hysterical giggles> 

And now I am curious... why shouldn't you leave the lights on?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #1735 on: April 12, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »

In case you actually were curious, creepypasta (pronounced 'creepy paste-a') refers to creepy copy-paste memes. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/creepypasta

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1736 on: April 12, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »

<hysterical giggles> 

And now I am curious... why shouldn't you leave the lights on?

It's probably more fun to watch it.  The narrator tells of a time when she was younger and would get carsick on long rides when her family was at their vacation home.  So she stayed home one time while they all went out for ice cream or something.  She was glad to have the house to herself and so forth, but, as the family hadn't come back before dark, she decided to go to bed instead of waiting up for them.  She decided to leave the light in the hall outside her door on (don't remember all the details) and shut her door, so that the light came in under the door. The final words of the video are something like "Then I kind of wished I hadn't done that."

It makes no sense unless you watch the video closely.  Through the whole (minute and a half) story, there is nothing on screen but total darkness save for the sliver of light glimpsed through the crack at the bottom of the door.  As she says the last line, there is a sudden sweep of shadow past the door, then past it again....and then total darkness.  It makes the gooseflesh rise up on my arms just typing that....but then again, I am an extremely impressionable 7 year old in the body of a woman fifty years older.  ^_^   Stuff like that always gives me the chills....and I always keep going back for more.

Edited to add:  Thank you for the link Martienne.  Now I have all new stuff to look up tomorrow morning and scare myself with tomorrow night.....the hairs on the back of my neck are already standing on end in anticipation...;-)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:22:29 PM by Yarnspinner »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1737 on: June 10, 2012, 06:21:27 PM »
I had to search to find this thread but here it is...
Well, today I had a weird experience.  I was just sitting watching television (a Henry Fonda movie called Slim, about electric linemen) and out of the blue I became aware of a memory of a dream I'd a very long time ago.  Nothing triggered it, it just happened.  I had not remembered the dream until it came to my mind. It was strange, almost like watching it, just in images, then another dream memory from long ago popped in, then another and another.  This went on for a while and I told my husband that something weird was happening.  As they kept popping up I was giving him a brief idea of what they were.  I remembered them as prior dreams from years ago, as they surfaced.  They all were having to do with streets and roads and houses. 
I looked online and found that no only have others had this happen, but the dreams all seem to center around a common theme or setting (as did mine).
Anyone have this happen to them?  Weird and kind of fun.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #1738 on: June 10, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »

In case you actually were curious, creepypasta (pronounced 'creepy paste-a') refers to creepy copy-paste memes. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/creepypasta

I wish there was a "turn off pictures" setting on my browser.

I love reading creepypasta. Not so much the darn gifs that don't look like they're gonna do anything until they do

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1739 on: June 11, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
I had to search to find this thread but here it is...
Well, today I had a weird experience.  I was just sitting watching television (a Henry Fonda movie called Slim, about electric linemen) and out of the blue I became aware of a memory of a dream I'd a very long time ago.  Nothing triggered it, it just happened.  I had not remembered the dream until it came to my mind. It was strange, almost like watching it, just in images, then another dream memory from long ago popped in, then another and another.  This went on for a while and I told my husband that something weird was happening.  As they kept popping up I was giving him a brief idea of what they were.  I remembered them as prior dreams from years ago, as they surfaced.  They all were having to do with streets and roads and houses. 
I looked online and found that no only have others had this happen, but the dreams all seem to center around a common theme or setting (as did mine).
Anyone have this happen to them?  Weird and kind of fun.

Yes!  And mine was triggered by watching an extremely old cartoon.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy