Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 289782 times)

Girlie

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1740 on: June 13, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
How did my family end up here?
My mom moved to Small Town, GA after growing up (and many generations lived there!) in Rural County Area, Alabama. Her moving here when she was young was a twist of fate - she followed her other siblings to where the jobs were.
In doing family research on known relatives, we find our original ancestors on my mom's side also came from Small Town, GA, right in the area that we live in now.
The two locations are definitely far enough away that it's strange that the family ended up almost right back where they started, all unknowingly. So, what has led us here? What is so special about this place?

Also, what is in my house? Seriously, I do NOT appreciate the strong smell of urine that woke me up one morning (just once. I don't have seizures or anything of that nature), nor do I appreciate the thing that yanked the blanket off of my arm when I didn't get up right away to hit snooze on the alarm clock again (although I was awake. Which is why it scared me so much). I also don't appreciate the sound of someone dropping things upstairs or walking down the stairs or opening doors... Seriously. Whatever it is is terrifying my overnight guests and annoying me. It needs to behave.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1741 on: June 13, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
My mom moved to Small Town, GA after growing up (and many generations lived there!) in Rural County Area, Alabama. Her moving here when she was young was a twist of fate - she followed her other siblings to where the jobs were.
In doing family research on known relatives, we find our original ancestors on my mom's side also came from Small Town, GA, right in the area that we live in now.
The two locations are definitely far enough away that it's strange that the family ended up almost right back where they started, all unknowingly. So, what has led us here? What is so special about this place?

Also, what is in my house? Seriously, I do NOT appreciate the strong smell of urine that woke me up one morning (just once. I don't have seizures or anything of that nature), nor do I appreciate the thing that yanked the blanket off of my arm when I didn't get up right away to hit snooze on the alarm clock again (although I was awake. Which is why it scared me so much). I also don't appreciate the sound of someone dropping things upstairs or walking down the stairs or opening doors... Seriously. Whatever it is is terrifying my overnight guests and annoying me. It needs to behave.

A lot of advice says you should tell resident spirits they have to behave or leave. Tell them it's your house now. Of course, not to freak you out but I've heard other people say that made things worse, either because you acknowledged it or because you made it mad. So YMMV, I guess.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #1742 on: June 13, 2012, 05:32:38 PM »
WHY do I keep reading posts/watching videos put together by members of various creepypasta sites?  I have to go to bed sometime and I don't fancy sleeping with the lights on....I know this will happen and I do it anyway...why why why?

Ok. Creepypasta sites? Fusilli gone bad? Delinquent ditalini? Sleazy spaghetti?

In case you actually were curious, creepypasta (pronounced 'creepy paste-a') refers to creepy copy-paste memes. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/creepypasta

They are awesome, assuming, for whatever, you need to be up for an all nighter.  For weeks.  ;)

Kaymyth

« Reply #1743 on: June 13, 2012, 06:44:49 PM »

A lot of advice says you should tell resident spirits they have to behave or leave. Tell them it's your house now. Of course, not to freak you out but I've heard other people say that made things worse, either because you acknowledged it or because you made it mad. So YMMV, I guess.

It depends on the beastie.  A lot of spirits are just boredd and lonely; give them some aacknowledgement and they'll simmer down, and often even become helpful.  It won't do much, though, if it's a residual (non-intelligent) haunting, and it could frighten and confuse an intelligent one that doesn't realize s/he is dead.

Nasty things are very rare, but are going to escalate no matter what you do or don't do.  If things start getting serious, it's best to bring in an expert.

Sensei Otousan

« Reply #1744 on: June 13, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
Why do people reply to a blog post for the sole purpose of posting the word/query "first"? 

I possess the information that one putative purpose is to demonstrate that one is up to the nanosecond current in following one's favorite posters, but the reasoning makes no sense.

Especially in the context of a comic like XKCD. I rather expected that the audience for such a comic would be beyond such behavior. Of course, expectations such as that fall short of reality all the time.

There are people who really really like being first. Or getting the 'good' colour/best chair/etc. Little kids, mostly, but some people never grow out if it. It can be annoying in an adult conversation because you want a discussion and the other person merely wants to jockey for position. Not much to discuss with that.

I can see wanting to be first.  But posting "first" on the a web page isn't the same as getting your preferred seat on a bus, or one of the last three red hats. 

It just doesn't make sense to me.  C'est la vie. 

But if they post 'First!' then everyone can see they are first, and they can bask in the glory that is firstness! "Lookit me! Lookit meeee!!! I'm the fastest commenter EVAH!"

I know it 's not logical. You don't get anything for being first on a web page. But some people still go nuts for that.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/first
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #1745 on: June 13, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »
My sister got a new dog (she has a big old pack 'o dogs).   It was previously owned by people who never bothered with it, so it needs a lot of direction.

One day it got out and jumped the fence.   When it returned, it was carrying a roll of toilet paper in it's mouth.

Where did THAT come from? ;)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1746 on: June 16, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »
WHY do I keep reading posts/watching videos put together by members of various creepypasta sites?  I have to go to bed sometime and I don't fancy sleeping with the lights on....I know this will happen and I do it anyway...why why why?

Ok. Creepypasta sites? Fusilli gone bad? Delinquent ditalini? Sleazy spaghetti?

In case you actually were curious, creepypasta (pronounced 'creepy paste-a') refers to creepy copy-paste memes. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/creepypasta

AAAAAAAH "pasta" is not "paste-a." They don't get to just do that, says the English teacher.
Words mean things.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1747 on: June 16, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
I have one for Dazi. Where did my armbands go?

My first barbarian costume. I have one upper arm band. The other, and the two lower bands, have vanished. Dazi, where'd I put 'em?
Words mean things.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1748 on: June 16, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »
I had to search to find this thread but here it is...
Well, today I had a weird experience.  I was just sitting watching television (a Henry Fonda movie called Slim, about electric linemen) and out of the blue I became aware of a memory of a dream I'd a very long time ago.  Nothing triggered it, it just happened.  I had not remembered the dream until it came to my mind. It was strange, almost like watching it, just in images, then another dream memory from long ago popped in, then another and another.  This went on for a while and I told my husband that something weird was happening.  As they kept popping up I was giving him a brief idea of what they were.  I remembered them as prior dreams from years ago, as they surfaced.  They all were having to do with streets and roads and houses. 
I looked online and found that no only have others had this happen, but the dreams all seem to center around a common theme or setting (as did mine).
Anyone have this happen to them?  Weird and kind of fun.

Yes!  And mine was triggered by watching an extremely old cartoon.
Mine may have been triggered by something in the movie but don't know what.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #1749 on: June 16, 2012, 02:09:22 PM »
I don't exactly have that kind of experience with dreams, but I do have dreams over the span of years that will have the same theme or a number of the same elements. The first set I remember, I mostly dreamed as a child and a teen. Elements that recurred in each were a ride in an old pick-up truck down a dusty country road, a hot summer's day, the feeling that I am on a quest to find something, and then reaching a rusty old barn and having the door dramatically slid back. My bicycle was always hanging from a chain from one of the rafters. The thing is that the plot would always differ, or elements would appear in a different order. I call these sets of dreams a dream mini-series because I can't come up with another way to describe them. I correlate this to your experience because I tend to forget about the series until I have another dream that fits into it, and at that point I can remember tons of details, but only for a shirt time, long enough to compare.

snappylt

« Reply #1750 on: July 04, 2012, 01:34:36 AM »
Have you ever had a memory of a childhood event that your older relatives insist could not have happened as you remember it?  This is my little personal mystery:

I have a distinct memory of my parents dropping me off at a particular relative's home several hours drive away from my hometown the summer before I started kindergarten.

I'll call my host "Aunt Edwina". Aunt Edwina lived near a big city, and as I remember it, my parents left me with her for the day so they could go shopping in the big city by themselves.  Edwina and I were alone that day because her husband was away on a business trip and her teenage children were both away at church camp for the week.

I remember staying long enough to have a nap on a particularly oddly shaped couch there.   I remember Aunt Edwina fixing me a meal after I awakened, and I remember some very strange things she said to me while she was cooking. 

While Edwina was standing at her kitchen sink she launched into a strange racist monologue, pointing to the birds on the birdfeeder outside her kitchen window, and telling me that sparrows only married other sparrows, blue jays only married other blue jays, finches only married finches, etc.  She told me when I got older I needed to remember that and be careful who I married.  (I remember thinking she was odd.)

Here's the mystery:  Both my mother and Aunt Edwina's only surviving sister insist that I was never left alone with Aunt Edwina.

This came up after Aunt Edwina's death about ten years ago.  I wrote condolence letters to her grown children.  Trying to be polite, I mentioned remembering that visit and how kind Edwina had been to me when I was little.  (Of course, to be polite,  I didn't mention her odd monologue.)  Well, Edwina's sister said to me later that while Edwina's grown children appreciated my letters they (and she) were all convinced that I'd never really visited Edwina alone.

My own mother was still living at that time, so I asked her about it.  My mother, too, insisted that she and my father had never left me alone with Edwina.

OK, no big deal, but what about my distinct memory of visiting Edwina by myself?  Did I imagine it all?

A year or so ago I was visiting with one of Edwina's nieces.  I mentioned the mystery of my memory of a visit that my mom and Edwina's sister said never happened.  Well, when I talked with my mom and with Edwina's sister I had left out the part of the story about the racist monologue.  (I guess I didn't want to speak ill of the dead or something.) But when I spoke with Edwina's niece more recently, I did tell her about the monologue.

Well, as soon as I mentioned Edwina talking about birds getting married, her niece started laughing and laughing.  She said, "Snappy, that is exactly the kind of racist comment Edwina used to make.  She said the same thing to my own boys when they were little - I heard her!  And she did have an oddly shaped couch like you described. If you remember that, then I'll bet that you really did stay with Edwina when you were little.

OK, mystery solved.  (But I still wonder just a little about why my mom and Edwina's sister were so insistent that the visit never happened!)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #1751 on: July 04, 2012, 01:41:15 AM »
Maybe you visited, but weren't left there?

I also tend to have really mundane, realistic dreams that somehow get mushed in with my actual memories. I'll dream I told my husband about a party coming up next week, and then a day or two later I won't be able to figure out whether or not it was real or a dream. It's not that hard to sort them from each other as an adult, but with things that happened a long time ago, I really question even some of my clearest memories sometimes. They could be based in things you actually saw and heard, but that doesn't mean it happened exactly as you remembered it.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1752 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »
SnappyIt, I've had the same thing happen.  Only my mom will say it never happened, but my brother or dad will say it did.  It can be really frustrating.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1753 on: July 04, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
I have memories that I KNOW couldn't have happened.  Memories of seeing myself from 'outside', in very mundane surroundings.  Nothing catastrophic that could have prompted astral projection. Nothing that was photographed, so that my 'memory' is of seeing the photo.  But seeing our family car going along a particular stretch of mountain road, with the family, including myself, inside it.

Realistic dreams, like MrsJWine?  I don't know.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1754 on: July 04, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »
I have memories that I KNOW couldn't have happened.  Memories of seeing myself from 'outside', in very mundane surroundings.  Nothing catastrophic that could have prompted astral projection. Nothing that was photographed, so that my 'memory' is of seeing the photo.  But seeing our family car going along a particular stretch of mountain road, with the family, including myself, inside it.

Realistic dreams, like MrsJWine?  I don't know.

I have realistic memories of seeing myself from the outside going up a mountain road in a little tiny car with my family to a party. I was about two or so. For some reason, most of my memories from when I was younger are from outside, as if I'm watching a home movie.

Mother insists it did not happen, and I couldn't possibly remember anything from toddlerhood. ::) On the other hand, Dad remembers the party very well. And it actually WAS in a house on top of a mountain, and I was about two/two and a half. So those kind of dreams could go either way.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.