Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 291535 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1905 on: June 27, 2013, 11:07:30 PM »
My mysteries are fairly small, but troubling nonetheless. My prescription medications are sometimes pilfered from my dosettes. I pour a week's worth of meds each Saturday (I take a lot of vitamins & supplements), one dosette stays downstairs for taking with meals, the other is in the bathroom upstairs for morning & bedtime pills. A couple of times I have returned from an overnight visit with BF to find that all of one specific medication is missing from a dosette, from every slot that medication goes in. The same medication every time, and while it is a mood-altering medication, it isn't a narcotic or one that can be used to get high.

I find this quite unsettling, especially as I had the locks re-keyed the day I took possession of this condo. I plan to have the deadbolt re-keyed to a different key (both are opened with the same key now), and I now lock up my dosettes when I will be away overnight.

And did anyone lose an old-fashioned brass skeleton key, medium sized? I found it on the floor behind a drawer unit when I was cleaning in April.

That is troubling. Maybe try keeping the meds in your purse for a week, and put fake ones (tic-tacs) in their place? The person with lovely minty breath will be the culprit. Elementary.
Do you own or rent?  Does Maintenance or someone else have a key "for emergencies?" Who re-keyed the locks? Could they have just told you that they were re-keyed, but without actually doing the work?   Check the bottle -- do you have all the doses in there that you should have?  I'd suggest keeping the bottle in your purse at all times until you figure it out.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1906 on: June 27, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »
My mysteries are fairly small, but troubling nonetheless. My prescription medications are sometimes pilfered from my dosettes. I pour a week's worth of meds each Saturday (I take a lot of vitamins & supplements), one dosette stays downstairs for taking with meals, the other is in the bathroom upstairs for morning & bedtime pills. A couple of times I have returned from an overnight visit with BF to find that all of one specific medication is missing from a dosette, from every slot that medication goes in. The same medication every time, and while it is a mood-altering medication, it isn't a narcotic or one that can be used to get high.

I find this quite unsettling, especially as I had the locks re-keyed the day I took possession of this condo. I plan to have the deadbolt re-keyed to a different key (both are opened with the same key now), and I now lock up my dosettes when I will be away overnight.

And did anyone lose an old-fashioned brass skeleton key, medium sized? I found it on the floor behind a drawer unit when I was cleaning in April.

That is troubling. Maybe try keeping the meds in your purse for a week, and put fake ones (tic-tacs) in their place? The person with lovely minty breath will be the culprit. Elementary.
Love this!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #1907 on: June 28, 2013, 12:43:14 AM »
I own my condo, Elfmama. And I watched the lock technician (from a BBB member in excellent standing locksmith company) as he re-keyed the locks.

Once in a Staples store nearby I encountered a staff member who used to live in the complex where I do. She said that when she was there, some of the occupants (unfortunately, over 70% of both the tower and townhouse units are rented) had been accessing the residences beside them by going through the wall in the top-floor crawl spaces. After I heard that, I put a door security bar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luC_NnyMB1I to secure the 4' high door to my crawl space. With 168 townhouses and another 480 tower apartment units, finding a culprit is a task even the police couldn't take on.

As far as keeping track of my meds, I keep the bottles in a metal lockbox which is then shut in a free-standing cabinet which secure with a large keyed lock when I go away overnight or longer. I keep track of my prescriptions by marking on the label how many are left in the bottle after I've poured the doses for the week ahead. That's how I realized that the pills in question were actually missing, rather than a matter of my having forgotten to pour that one medication. ( The Saturday in question, I had 16 in the bottle. I poured 7, changed the total on the label to 9. When I realized the "PM" slots in the dosette were all devoid of that medication, I checked the bottle - and there were 9 in the bottle.)

I am thinking that I may have the locksmith replace the deadbolt, rather than just re-keying it. Even if someone has managed to finagled a key for the knob lock, a new deadbolt should stop the incursions.

ETA more explanation
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:50:35 AM by AuntieA »
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1908 on: June 28, 2013, 06:48:27 AM »
I own my condo, Elfmama. And I watched the lock technician (from a BBB member in excellent standing locksmith company) as he re-keyed the locks.

Once in a Staples store nearby I encountered a staff member who used to live in the complex where I do. She said that when she was there, some of the occupants (unfortunately, over 70% of both the tower and townhouse units are rented) had been accessing the residences beside them by going through the wall in the top-floor crawl spaces. After I heard that, I put a door security bar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luC_NnyMB1I to secure the 4' high door to my crawl space. With 168 townhouses and another 480 tower apartment units, finding a culprit is a task even the police couldn't take on.

As far as keeping track of my meds, I keep the bottles in a metal lockbox which is then shut in a free-standing cabinet which secure with a large keyed lock when I go away overnight or longer. I keep track of my prescriptions by marking on the label how many are left in the bottle after I've poured the doses for the week ahead. That's how I realized that the pills in question were actually missing, rather than a matter of my having forgotten to pour that one medication. ( The Saturday in question, I had 16 in the bottle. I poured 7, changed the total on the label to 9. When I realized the "PM" slots in the dosette were all devoid of that medication, I checked the bottle - and there were 9 in the bottle.)

I am thinking that I may have the locksmith replace the deadbolt, rather than just re-keying it. Even if someone has managed to finagled a key for the knob lock, a new deadbolt should stop the incursions.

ETA more explanation

Best option is to keep your meds with you at all times.  I would also suggest a nanny cam placed somewhere inconspicuous.  I've known many people to figure out what weirdness was going on by the use of a nanny cam.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #1909 on: June 29, 2013, 12:19:30 AM »
Here's my mystery: WHERE DID HALF OF MY EYEBROW GO???? I woke up and the middle of my eyebrow is just missing.  No allergies, and I just had my thyroid checked!  I sleep with two very twitchy dogs so someone coming in while I'm asleep is impossible.

I'm stymied and a little freaked out. Also, I really miss my eyebrow.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1910 on: June 29, 2013, 07:51:02 AM »
Here's my mystery: WHERE DID HALF OF MY EYEBROW GO???? I woke up and the middle of my eyebrow is just missing.  No allergies, and I just had my thyroid checked!  I sleep with two very twitchy dogs so someone coming in while I'm asleep is impossible.

I'm stymied and a little freaked out. Also, I really miss my eyebrow.

Well poopadities, that's definitely weird.  I've rub or scratched my eyebrow while I was sleeping enough to notice some hair is missing, but I can't imagine the whole middle being gone.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1911 on: June 30, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »
Where did my box of hurricane supplies go to?

We had a power outage today due to some very nasty storms. I went to grab a few candles or a flashlight (it was very dark even though it was technically daytime), but the stuff was just gone.  Thankfully a friend gave me a few pretty candles for my birthday and I had left them on my dresser.  I guess I'm going to have to make a shopping trip...need to grab a couple extra cases of water anyway.

mmswm

« Reply #1912 on: July 01, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »
Along the same vein, where did my arm pouch for my cell phone go?  My house ate it, apparently.  I had it one day, and the next day it was gone.  I've looked everywhere.  It's been missing for two weeks and I have no clue where it is.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1913 on: July 01, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »

I think it's likely you simply forgot to add that particular medication.  An oversight.  My husband has a system similar to yours, and he has missed one medication before.  All the others go in, but one gets left out.

Cami

« Reply #1914 on: July 01, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »
We have a large juniper bush on our property. Three winters ago, we had an exceptionally harsh winter over all and a bonafide blizzard. The north-facing side of the bush lost all of the branches on a 3' x 3' area. We've waited three years to see if new growth was going to happen. It did not and that rather large section took up most of that side of the bush, leaving an ugly dead spot.

Two weeks ago, we were outside reviewing what items in our yard are going to be removed as a result of a blizzard we had THIS winter. We noted the juniper and mournfully decided that it was time for it to go. The next day we went on vacation.

We returned from vacation 10 days later and the following day went outside with saws to do the work. Lo and behold, not only did the juniper have new growth in that dead area -- the new growth was 2 feet deep!

So this personal mystery is why did it take three years for the tree to sprout new growth and how in the world did it grow 2 FEET in less than 2 weeks?

My husband contends that the juniper heard us plotting its demise and survival instinct kicked. LOL
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:58:11 PM by Cami »

faithlessone

« Reply #1915 on: July 01, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »
We have a large juniper bush on our property. Three winters ago, we had an exceptionally harsh winter over all and a bonafide blizzard. The north-facing side of the bush lost all of the branches on a 3' x 3' area. We've waited three years to see if new growth was going to happen. It did not and that rather large section took up most of that side of the bush, leaving an ugly dead spot.

Two weeks ago, we were outside reviewing what items in our yard are going to be removed as a result of a blizzard we had THIS winter. We noted the juniper and mournfully decided that it was time for it to go. The next day we went on vacation.

We returned from vacation 10 days later and the following day went outside with saws to do the work. Lo and behold, not only did the juniper have new growth in that dead area -- the new growth was 2 feet deep!

So this personal mystery is why did it take three years for the tree to sprout new growth and how in the world did it grow 2 FEET in less than 2 weeks?

My husband contends that the juniper heard us plotting its demise and survival instinct kicked. LOL

Plants are mysterious things!!

I can't find it now, but I do remember reading an article that said that plants could feel pain, and can warn each-other about danger. Not sure how true that is, but science is a strange subject.

cwm

« Reply #1916 on: July 01, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »

This reminds me of the miracle redbud.

My parents got two redbud trees for our front yard. One in the middle, one on the other side of the driveway. The one in the middle of the yard took hold immediately and grew like mad. The one on the side yard always looked sickly, never sprouted, stunted, and looked terrible. My dad mowed it over because it just wasn't growing. We honestly thought it was dead.

The next season it grew back, and now it's as big as the one in the middle of the yard.

My personal theory is that there was something wrong with it. When we cut off the visible part, the roots weren't spending energy trying to save them and could store up energy to start fresh the next year. Kind of the same theory on pruning dead flowers off of a plant to keep the plant's energy going to the living blooms.

No clue on the juniper, though.

Eeep!

« Reply #1917 on: July 01, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »

I like your husband's theory!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #1918 on: July 02, 2013, 08:30:27 AM »
Where is my laptop charger? I got a new computer about a year ago, that uses the same charger as my old one, but the new one looks a bit different. Since we kept the old computer as a spare (but packed away), I've just been using the old charger, since I had it plugged in where I wanted it. Now that we are moving, we want to get rid of the old laptop by giving it to a friend, but I can't find my new charger anywhere! Considering we've been packing like fiends, you'd think it would have turned up by now :(

I do have a history of leaving chargers at my parentsí houses when we visit the midwest, but I purposely left the new one at home the last time we traveled.

Ed. for clarification

mmswm

« Reply #1919 on: July 02, 2013, 10:08:21 AM »
Along the same vein, where did my arm pouch for my cell phone go?  My house ate it, apparently.  I had it one day, and the next day it was gone.  I've looked everywhere.  It's been missing for two weeks and I have no clue where it is.

And to add to the mystery, it miraculously appeared on the bookshelf in my bedroom this morning.  This is the same bookshelf that I emptied and reorganized twice since the darn thing went missing.  It was just sitting there on the part of the shelf that didn't have any books on it.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)