Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 289085 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2025 on: December 09, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
Oddly enough, I can find two copies of Theory III and one of Theory IV (there were 4 semesters required), but I can't find I or II at all.

Do you have contact information for your classmates?  I wonder if you were studying with someone and they now have two copies of I and II and no copies of III or IV.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2026 on: December 09, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
Could you contact the teacher and ask the next run could have an extra copy of I and II, since you misplaced yours?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2027 on: December 10, 2013, 12:33:12 AM »
Who was the Rose Lady?

Several years ago my Dad's first cousin died young. (He was found sitting on the floor with a medical book open to symptoms of a heart attack).

His funeral was small - family only, conducted by the same Deacon that helped with Mom's funeral. [size=78%]Cousin had had a problem with drugs previously, but was sober when he died. The immediate family actually published the obit after the funeral so that no "friends" from that time period would show up.[/size]

There was this woman that didn't interact with the family at all and none of us recognized her. She was literally supported by a man, because she was so upset she could  barely stand - but she didn't seem high or drunk. She had at least a  dozen white roses that she put with him. Cousin was a recluse that lived with his parents, his Dad had Parkinson, and his Mom barely let the rest of us into their house to check on them.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

crella

« Reply #2028 on: December 10, 2013, 04:57:29 AM »
I love polydactyl cats - I had one with a thumb on each paw and a second one that had one thumb on one paw and two thumbs on the other, as well as an extra toe on each back foot.  Bit of a mutant, he was.

For a second, I misread this as, "I love pterodactyl cats." I think my heart rate doubled in excitement.

Man, that would be awesome.

It sounds seriously awesome.

cwm

« Reply #2029 on: December 10, 2013, 12:12:32 PM »
Could you contact the teacher and ask the next run could have an extra copy of I and II, since you misplaced yours?
Oddly enough, I can find two copies of Theory III and one of Theory IV (there were 4 semesters required), but I can't find I or II at all.

Do you have contact information for your classmates?  I wonder if you were studying with someone and they now have two copies of I and II and no copies of III or IV.

I'd thought of that, but it's been so long since I've been there (dear lord, I'm NOT that old!) and the professor is no longer teaching. And most of my classmates tossed the books as soon as they could, the others got rid of them in their junior year (after all the theory classes had been passed).

The good news is that I do have experience teaching music theory her way, I helped tutor one of her students through the school, student had severe LD and needed one-on-one and my teacher approached me personally to help her because of how well I understood it. It gives me hope.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2030 on: December 10, 2013, 01:42:05 PM »
Who was the Rose Lady?

Not to sound mean or anything, but she was probably a con artist. There are some twisted, selfish people that troll funerals, even when an obituary isn't published right away. What easier way to take a ring from the coffin or filch money from a mourner's unattended purse than to act like "BOO HOO, LOOK AT ME OVER HERE. I'M SO SAD AND GRIEF STRICKEN THAT YOU'LL ASSUME I'M AN OLD FLAME / CO-WORKER / FRIEND FROM THE PAST. YOU DON'T WANT TO BE RUDE AND ASK HOW I KNEW FRED, NOW DO YOU ?"

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #2031 on: December 11, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »

Several years ago my Dad's first cousin died young. (He was found sitting on the floor with a medical book open to symptoms of a heart attack).

That sent shivers up my spine :(

I'm sorry for your loss, Kherbert.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #2032 on: December 11, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »
I wonder where my music theory books went. When I moved from college, I packed ALL my books in a relatively few boxes. I never got rid of any of my music theory books, they were workbooks written by my professor, and they were amazing. Better than any textbook I've ever seen at explaining things. They can only be bought at the University bookstore, and she only has the bookstore print enough for her students. There's no buyback on them because they're workbooks, and finding an extra copy somewhere is going to be impossible.

I was really looking forward to using her examples to give some music theory lessons to my boyfriend. Oddly enough, I can find two copies of Theory III and one of Theory IV (there were 4 semesters required), but I can't find I or II at all. I guess I'll have to wait until I have money then go to find a good music theory textbook somewhere at the local bookstore.

Your music theory books are probably hanging out with the many, many fridge magnets I lost in my latest move.   ::)  I realize they don't have the value of your music books, but it's so weird!  I had seemingly jillions of them, some of them souvenirs and/or gifts and thus having sentimental value.  I am so accustomed to just hanging stuff on the fridge if I don't know what to do with it, and now I have not a single magnet, not even one of those freebies from a real estate agent.    ;D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Mergatroyd

« Reply #2033 on: December 11, 2013, 08:26:45 PM »
Well, I'd like to know what happened to my locket. It disappeared on a bus in Quebec, from my purse, on my lap.

I'd also like to know why my great great grandparents brought my great grandma to Canada from St. Petersburg in 1917 with a last name about as un-russian as I have ever heard.
I'd like to know if the family my other nana left behind in England actually wrote her as dead in the bible, or who they actually were, and where they actually came from.

I'm curious about why my grandfather started pronouncing his last name differently between wives.

That's about it really.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2034 on: December 12, 2013, 06:10:32 PM »
I'd like to know who my great-times-5 grandfather's FOO was. Prior to adulthood, there is little information, most of it coming from a court case, and all of it incomplete.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2035 on: December 12, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »
I'd like to know who my great-times-5 grandfather's FOO was. Prior to adulthood, there is little information, most of it coming from a court case, and all of it incomplete.

That is totally amazing that you got that far! I would love to know the year, just for interest.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2036 on: December 16, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »
Well, I'd like to know what happened to my locket. It disappeared on a bus in Quebec, from my purse, on my lap.

I'd also like to know why my great great grandparents brought my great grandma to Canada from St. Petersburg in 1917 with a last name about as un-russian as I have ever heard.
I'd like to know if the family my other nana left behind in England actually wrote her as dead in the bible, or who they actually were, and where they actually came from.

I'm curious about why my grandfather started pronouncing his last name differently between wives.

That's about it really.

I may be able to help with mystery # 1.
Was her name German, by any chance?
My family name is extremely German, and yet we came to Canada from...Russia. (Really messes with people when I tell them that!)

There was a period in the 1850s and on when the Russian government brought in immigrants from Germany.
They were given land, promised religious freedom and were exempted from military service. They lived in their own communities, but it possible there was some intermarriage.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #2037 on: December 16, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
[quote author=White Dragon link=topic=78048.msg3070990#msg3070990 date

My family name is extremely German, and yet we came to Canada from...Russia. (Really messes with people when I tell them that!)

There was a period in the 1850s and on when the Russian government brought in immigrants from Germany.
They were given land, promised religious freedom and were exempted from military service. They lived in their own communities, but it possible there was some intermarriage.
[/quote]

I don't know.. It doesn't sound german either- it's Byblow.  ??? I know she could speak german, russian, and english when they immigrated so perhaps?

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2038 on: December 16, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
Quote from: White Dragon link=topic=78048.msg3070990#msg3070990 date

I don't know.. It doesn't sound german either- it's Byblow.  ??? I know she could speak german, russian, and english when they immigrated so perhaps?

I just did a quick google search and found out that parts of the Ukraine/Russia/Romania/Moldova went back and forth in owning the region. The name Byblow appears on a list of surnames from that Bukovina area.

Cool!

Mergatroyd

« Reply #2039 on: December 16, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »
Neat!! I've googled it numerous times and never found a thing, so thank you!!