Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 244512 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2070 on: January 14, 2014, 12:02:55 AM »
My boyfriend was driving me home the other day. When we were at a stoplight, I noticed a really cool car next to us. It was a metallic gold color. I am really into cars and often snap pictures of ones I like. So I went digging in my bag for the camera. While I was doing that, I looked up for a second to tell BhaktaBoy "Check out the sweet car next to me", but instead noticed the gold car's door. It now had some weird swirly purple & teal glimmer / movement on it, like a mood ring.  ??? And when we started moving again, the color on the car "spread out" and it became completely purple. Then completely red. Then rust colored. I was sitting there thinking "Okay, I don't do drugs. I haven't drank any alcohol. I must be losing my dang mind here  :o" The only thing that comes up on Google for anything like this is a hoax video. What on earth...

I've seen iridescent cars before. It was probably just shifting light or a slight change in the angle you were seeing it at. Try googling "chameleon paint."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:04:49 AM by MrsJWine »

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

magicdomino

« Reply #2071 on: January 14, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »
My boyfriend was driving me home the other day. When we were at a stoplight, I noticed a really cool car next to us. It was a metallic gold color. I am really into cars and often snap pictures of ones I like. So I went digging in my bag for the camera. While I was doing that, I looked up for a second to tell BhaktaBoy "Check out the sweet car next to me", but instead noticed the gold car's door. It now had some weird swirly purple & teal glimmer / movement on it, like a mood ring.  ??? And when we started moving again, the color on the car "spread out" and it became completely purple. Then completely red. Then rust colored. I was sitting there thinking "Okay, I don't do drugs. I haven't drank any alcohol. I must be losing my dang mind here  :o" The only thing that comes up on Google for anything like this is a hoax video. What on earth...

I've seen iridescent cars before. It was probably just shifting light or a slight change in the angle you were seeing it at. Try googling "chameleon paint."

Yes, while I haven't seen a car with that much range, I have seen red/purple and blue/purple cars.  I have to admit, if I had to get my truck repainted, I'd be very tempted by the blue/purple option.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #2072 on: January 14, 2014, 10:53:21 AM »
Quote from: MrsJWine on Today at 12:02:55 AM
Quote from: TeamBhakta on Yesterday at 11:59:27 PM
My boyfriend was driving me home the other day. When we were at a stoplight, I noticed a really cool car next to us. It was a metallic gold color. I am really into cars and often snap pictures of ones I like. So I went digging in my bag for the camera. While I was doing that, I looked up for a second to tell BhaktaBoy "Check out the sweet car next to me", but instead noticed the gold car's door. It now had some weird swirly purple & teal glimmer / movement on it, like a mood ring.   And when we started moving again, the color on the car "spread out" and it became completely purple. Then completely red. Then rust colored. I was sitting there thinking "Okay, I don't do drugs. I haven't drank any alcohol. I must be losing my dang mind here  " The only thing that comes up on Google for anything like this is a hoax video. What on earth...

Yes, while I haven't seen a car with that much range, I have seen red/purple and blue/purple cars.  I have to admit, if I had to get my truck repainted, I'd be very tempted by the blue/purple option.

I think Ford had this as a paint option on their Mustangs a few years back.  Don't quote me on that, though...  I just remember being at the local race track and a local car deal was parading some cars around the track and the announcer mentioning one had a special kind of paint that changed colors. 

As for my own personal mystery, I would really, REALLY like to know just when my car keys sprouted feet and decided to walk all around my house.  I can NEVER find my keys.  I swear I put them in the same place every time I get home JUST SO that I can find them again, but when I go back for them, the dingdangity things are GONE. 

It's become somewhat of a joke in my house.  Someone sees my keys laying somewhere and says "you better put them somewhere where you won't lose them."  I could tie them around my neck and I'd still spend half the morning hunting for them!!!!

I can't even blame it on the cat or the dog.    >:(

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2073 on: January 14, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
Have you considered one of those key finders Walgreens sells, the kind that beep from your keychain when you clap or whistle

SCMagnolia

« Reply #2074 on: January 14, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
My mom says she's getting me one as a joke!  I might actually appreciate it! 

magicdomino

« Reply #2075 on: January 14, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »
My mom says she's getting me one as a joke!  I might actually appreciate it!

If you don't lose the key finder.   ;)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2076 on: January 14, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »
And if it actually works as intended.

I had one that wouldn't beep when I wanted it to, but would go off in crowded elevators and make people wonder what the heck I had in my pocket. I had to give it up.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #2077 on: January 14, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »

Saw this on TV the other day:  http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=022_1389583517   change car color with an electric current.

emwithme

« Reply #2078 on: January 15, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »
Where are my good vegetable peelers? 

I have one that I LIKE.  It works for me.

I can't find it.  (the current thought is that it has been thrown out with some peelings).

Never mind, I'll go to the spare vegetable peeler...NOPE.  Not in the drawer...I know it was there in September when we moved because I remember unpacking it. 

There is only the vegetable peeler that doesn't work for me but does for DH left.

This may seem like a bonus but the other day it took DH 20 minutes to peel three carrots and six potatoes. 

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #2079 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »

I can't find it.  (the current thought is that it has been thrown out with some peelings).

Never mind, I'll go to the spare vegetable peeler...NOPE.  Not in the drawer...I know it was there in September when we moved because I remember unpacking it. 

There is only the vegetable peeler that doesn't work for me but does for DH left.

This may seem like a bonus but the other day it took DH 20 minutes to peel three carrots and six potatoes.

Why not use a paring knife? That's how I peel potatoes, etc. I find it works best for me using a paring knife.
The Mad Goat Woman

Captains Flat, Australia

emwithme

« Reply #2080 on: January 16, 2014, 04:54:06 PM »

Why not use a paring knife? That's how I peel potatoes, etc. I find it works best for me using a paring knife.

I used to.  I have a lovely paring knife (I have lots of lovely knives, some approaching 20 years old but in very good condition), but I have (increasingly) hypermobile wrists and fingers and am sometimes not safe to use a knife (many cuts - fortunately no serious ones - have taught me that). 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2081 on: January 21, 2014, 11:51:08 AM »
What is with things falling from thin air lately?

I recently had an experience where a book I left at home showed up on my desk at work.  I KNOW it was at home because I'd been reading in the night before and left it on my night stand.  I got to work, went to get my coffee.  When I came back a couple of minutes later, I found the book sitting front and center on my desk.  Even if I had totally spaced out and brought it with me, I hadn't unpacked my bag yet and it would have been there.

Just now, I found an eyeglass cleaning cloth that doesn't belong to me.  I wear boots to work and keep a spare pair of shoes here in a little hidey hole under my desk.  I retrieved them this morning and saw nothing.  I had to run out, so I took my shoes off to put my boots back on and there's this random cloth laying on the ground where my shoes usually hang out.  I do have one but this one isn't mine. I've never seen it before and it wasn't there this morning.  I've been at my desk all morning except for grabbing my coffee and I hadn't changed my shoes yet.

The heck?

Jones

« Reply #2082 on: January 21, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
The bathroom sink at my house made me smile. The knobs were backwards, you see; the one marked with a C was on the left and turned on hot water, the one marked with an H was on the right and turned on cold water. They'd been like that for ages, quirky, always good for a smile.

Last week I noticed my tap was normal; H was Hot, and C was Cold. I asked DH when he switched them out and he looked at me funny. He hadn't ever noticed this quirk. He hadn't touched them. We haven't had adult visitors in weeks, and the grime buildup under the knobs (um, I'll get around to that, promise) suggest they have been in their current positions since...well, since last time I took a toothpick to them.

What on earth? I know I didn't imagine it over and over again...or did I?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2083 on: January 21, 2014, 07:02:58 PM »
DH and I have quite the sweet tooth...er teeth.  I LOVE chocolate, especially.  Aside from hot chocolate and the occasional chocolate candy here and there, my elder two boys are really not big into chocolate.  Dh is also a big chocolate lover. 

In fact my eldest's favorite thing to eat? Salad, veggies and fruits.  Now mind you I'm not complaining as it means never having to nag him to finish his veggies. Just wondering where he got that from! LOL!  I suppose it could be due to following advice I got to feed him the veggie baby food before the fruits.

And then there's the youngest one: Chocoholic and major sweet tooth, but he also will eat broccoli like it's candy, and was the only one of the 3 boys who happily wolfed down eggplant parmesan.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #2084 on: January 21, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »
I bought two 32-ounce bottles of mouthwash.  When the first was used up, I went to the cabinet to get the spare.  It was missing.  Since things commonly disappear and then reappear in this house, I kept checking.  On the fifth recheck, there appeared a 16-ounce bottle of said mouthwash.  I have never purchased the 16-ounce size, and and the stores I frequent don't sell that size.

I'm loving this thread because it's been nice to discover I'm not the only person for whom things disappear and then reappear in plain sight. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.