Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 244821 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2085 on: January 21, 2014, 10:32:56 PM »
I bought two 32-ounce bottles of mouthwash.  When the first was used up, I went to the cabinet to get the spare.  It was missing.  Since things commonly disappear and then reappear in this house, I kept checking.  On the fifth recheck, there appeared a 16-ounce bottle of said mouthwash.  I have never purchased the 16-ounce size, and and the stores I frequent don't sell that size.

I'm loving this thread because it's been nice to discover I'm not the only person for whom things disappear and then reappear in plain sight.

I have often said the best way to find a missing hairbrush is to buy a new one.  I also suspect we have leprechauns, or brownies.  Some kind of sprite that likes to hide things. I'm sure sometimes it's my two year old but other times I'm sure it can't be, such as things that were out of his reach turning up somewhere else.   

I lost the bolts and nuts to the train table we got for littlest pirate for Christmas.  They were no where, and I do mean NO WHERE to be found so I was 100% sure they hadn't been included in the set.  I go to clean up his room one day and there they are, sitting right next to the other parts. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Eeep!

« Reply #2086 on: January 21, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
I bought two 32-ounce bottles of mouthwash.  When the first was used up, I went to the cabinet to get the spare.  It was missing.  Since things commonly disappear and then reappear in this house, I kept checking.  On the fifth recheck, there appeared a 16-ounce bottle of said mouthwash.  I have never purchased the 16-ounce size, and and the stores I frequent don't sell that size.

I'm loving this thread because it's been nice to discover I'm not the only person for whom things disappear and then reappear in plain sight.

Someone somewhere is wondering where on earth that ginormous bottle of mouthwash came from. :)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Jones

« Reply #2087 on: January 21, 2014, 10:58:45 PM »

Someone somewhere is wondering where on earth that ginormous bottle of mouthwash came from. :)
If it was Listerine Whitening, that would be me.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #2088 on: January 21, 2014, 11:12:36 PM »
Jones, it was Listerine Whitening!  :o
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Jones

« Reply #2089 on: January 21, 2014, 11:22:59 PM »
You've got to be kidding...my kids use blue and pink bubble flavor mouthwash, DH prefers green Scope so I'm the only one who uses Listerine whitening. I rearranged under the cupboard last weekend and the bottle in the back just looked huge to me! It's 32 oz, I figured I must have bought it on sale at some point that I don't recall! That is just beyond weird.

perpetua

« Reply #2090 on: January 22, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »
Many years ago, I had a - slight fling, I suppose you could call it - with a guy from another country. We met on a forum, then met in real life, and it didn't work out - there was just no chemistry in person, sadly - and we went back to our own lives, no biggie. This was about ten years ago.

Once every few years, he'll send me an email to say he's thinking of me. Not in a creepy way, just in a 'how are you doing,  I was thinking of you and hope you're OK' way. The odd thing is - he always seems to do it when I'm at a low point in my life, or have just broken up with someone, or or or. There's no way he could know, either; I don't post about any of this stuff anywhere he (or anyone else) could read it. It's like he just *knows*. Like whenever I really need to feel less bad about myself, there he is, through some kind of weird sixth sense. Odd.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2091 on: January 22, 2014, 12:24:03 PM »
Two Serious, One Silly:

1)  What really happened the day my 21 year old cousin died in a car crash?  She wasn't a mile from her home, but she was up to such a high speed that her car had to be pried out of the ground and out of the tree she smashed into.  Everyone seems to think it was suicide, but if that was the case, why was she singing and so happy the morning it happened?  And, what really has bothered ME for twenty plus years:  no one, not her parents, not my parents, NO ONE, actually identified the body.  For years I have had dreams that she is still alive and somehow pulled a "Sherlock Holmes" escape at the last minute.

2)Where is my other, much older, cousin?  After her parents divorced, I never saw her again.  I've tried tracking her down by her maiden name and married name, but the trail is cold.  I adored her when I was ten and it has been forty plus years since I have seen her.

And the silly one

3) Why can't I open up the combination lock on the locker where we keep the money box and the lap top computers?  No matter how I hold the lock, no matter how careful I am, the blasted thing refuses to open for me.  Almost everyone else can do it (I do have one other team member who can't get it to work, either)  so why can't we?  The only time I have been able to get the thing open is if my (totally disbelieving) supervisor is standing over me.  He thinks I am insane.  (It doesn't seem to bother him that my coworker can't get the locker open, but he can't believe that I can't get it to work.  I hate this.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2092 on: January 22, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »
Two Serious, One Silly:

1)  What really happened the day my 21 year old cousin died in a car crash?  She wasn't a mile from her home, but she was up to such a high speed that her car had to be pried out of the ground and out of the tree she smashed into.  Everyone seems to think it was suicide, but if that was the case, why was she singing and so happy the morning it happened?  And, what really has bothered ME for twenty plus years:  no one, not her parents, not my parents, NO ONE, actually identified the body.  For years I have had dreams that she is still alive and somehow pulled a "Sherlock Holmes" escape at the last minute.

Suicidal people quite frequently seem better/happier just before they die.  It is actually considered a warning sign if they are too happy. Once the decision has been made (in the depressed person's head) and the end is in sight for them, they feel relieved.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

faithlessone

« Reply #2093 on: January 22, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
Two Serious, One Silly:

Suicidal people quite frequently seem better/happier just before they die.  It is actually considered a warning sign if they are too happy. Once the decision has been made (in the depressed person's head) and the end is in sight for them, they feel relieved.

I was going to mention this, but I wasn't sure whether or not to bring it up. My brother became very happy, very friendly and very positive (previously having been quite withdrawn and quiet) in the week before his death. In his note he said it was because he knew there was a deadline (literally that word), so he didn't feel burdened anymore.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #2094 on: January 22, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
Where did the cat toy now residing on my computer desk come from?  It's a yellow plastic ball, about the size of a ping-pong ball, with a jingle bell inside. It wasn't there yesterday.  We have no resident cats at the moment, and even when Willow was alive, she never played with toys.  They were beneath her dignity. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

crankycat

« Reply #2095 on: January 22, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »
Where did the cat toy now residing on my computer desk come from?  It's a yellow plastic ball, about the size of a ping-pong ball, with a jingle bell inside. It wasn't there yesterday.  We have no resident cats at the moment, and even when Willow was alive, she never played with toys.  They were beneath her dignity.

Your future cat wants to make sure that you know what kind of toys s/he prefers.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2096 on: January 22, 2014, 06:12:21 PM »
Two Serious, One Silly:

I was going to mention this, but I wasn't sure whether or not to bring it up. My brother became very happy, very friendly and very positive (previously having been quite withdrawn and quiet) in the week before his death. In his note he said it was because he knew there was a deadline (literally that word), so he didn't feel burdened anymore.

Wow.  I DID have some idea that what you both stated was likely.  What was upsetting is that she was so excited about getting her associates and becoming a daycare teacher.  She had talked with my mother and with me about moving out and had even found some girls she could share an apartment with.  But her father (my uncle) and grandmother (also mine) were very overbearing where she was concerned.  I've wondered if she saw this as her only way out.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2097 on: January 22, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
Two Serious, One Silly:

Wow.  I DID have some idea that what you both stated was likely.  What was upsetting is that she was so excited about getting her associates and becoming a daycare teacher.  She had talked with my mother and with me about moving out and had even found some girls she could share an apartment with.  But her father (my uncle) and grandmother (also mine) were very overbearing where she was concerned.  I've wondered if she saw this as her only way out.

It is possible. They might have put a major crimp in her plans, and she simply didn't see a way around it. :( Very sad to think about.

It also puts a little bit of credence to your 'Sherlock Holmes' idea. People who are not depressed but are very desperate to escape someone have tried things like this.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2098 on: January 22, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »

I've been looking all over for that one after Diana knocked it down the stairs and it rolled into the dining room....and vanished!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2099 on: January 23, 2014, 01:02:01 AM »
The same 2nd great-grandfather I think I posted about earlier, trying to find his parents and siblings.  He must have come from Mars.  I have found exactly one probable brother, but of course he doesn't have parents either.

New mystery: He was born in Canada*, and was 33 years old in 1860.  Why, by any sense Deity gave a goat, would he step over the border into Michigan just in time to fill out a Civil War draft card?  I didn't know that thousands of Canadian-born men fought, it just boggles me to ask "Why?"

*= Canada didn't exist as a unified country until 1871; I'm using the term to mean "North of the USA, in British territory"  ;D