Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 298368 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2100 on: January 23, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »
Possibly he was looking for work?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2101 on: January 23, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »
That's probable.  You could get out of being drafted by hiring a substitute to fight in your place.  I believe the going rate was $300, but I don't know whether you paid it to Uncle Sam or to the substitute himself.  If to the substitute himself, think of the windfall of having most of a year's wages to be able to send home to your family all in one lump!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2102 on: January 23, 2014, 09:19:13 PM »

I think that is a very good possibility. He had three small babies at the time, and there were jobs to be had on the Great Lakes and the rivers.  Good catch!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2103 on: January 23, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
That's probable.  You could get out of being drafted by hiring a substitute to fight in your place.  I believe the going rate was $300, but I don't know whether you paid it to Uncle Sam or to the substitute himself.  If to the substitute himself, think of the windfall of having most of a year's wages to be able to send home to your family all in one lump!

I've heard of substitutes in other countries, and the money is paid to the substitute. It is indeed a windfall to someone who is poor but willing to sign up. :)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #2104 on: January 23, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
My great great grandfather joined the Union army partly out of patriotic fervor after attending a rally, but the real reason was to get away from his horrible wife, who was pregnant with their eighth child at the time.  He contracted Rubella (measles) and died in a military hospital two months later.

Great great grandma was apparently a truly awful person.  Nothing good has ever been written about her.

There is a mystery: GGGrandpa was an orphan, and we have yet to positively identify his biological parents, who may have died in a cholera epidemic.

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2105 on: January 23, 2014, 11:17:21 PM »
My great great grandfather joined the Union army partly out of patriotic fervor after attending a rally, but the real reason was to get away from his horrible wife, who was pregnant with their eighth child at the time.  He contracted Rubella (measles) and died in a military hospital two months later.

Great great grandma was apparently a truly awful person.  Nothing good has ever been written about her.

There is a mystery: GGGrandpa was an orphan, and we have yet to positively identify his biological parents, who may have died in a cholera epidemic.

Don't rule out the possibility that the biological parents may have been related in some way to the adoptive.  "Inter-family" adoptions, while not often formalized back then, were common.  I have two, one on each side of my family.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2106 on: January 28, 2014, 11:06:08 PM »
During our military moves, various things went missing.  I  wish I knew where VorSon stashed some jewelry when he was four - I took my jewelry box away from him, it seemed to have everything in it , but when I wanted to wear a ring....it was gone.

I'd also like to find out where my missing spoons are right now...I had twelve this summer...I have at least two missing right now.  One soup spoon and one tablespoon - stainless steel does not evaporate.

And as of this month, a "spare" hard drive for my laptop is missing...I had it early in December.  Haven't seen it in about thirty days....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2107 on: January 29, 2014, 03:11:38 AM »
Where the heck did my birth certificate go? I have 2 copies, and they're both AWOL!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2108 on: January 29, 2014, 06:18:33 AM »
#1 How on earth did I end up with two turkey basters?  I never even had one that I can remember.

#2 Where are the little pink pills I keep finding all over the place coming from?  They are just generic antihistamines, but the ones I have buy are white.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2109 on: January 29, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »
A couple few months ago, M bought a new Bluetooth earpiece.  The old one was put into a small plastic tub (think the size that cold cream comes in, but very flimsy/flexible) that we once got headphones in, and it was placed (so we thought) on the bedroom bookcase.

Just where the heck could it have gone?  We've searched everywhere reasonable, and I'd really like to have a Bluetooth earpiece for my phone, but don't want to pay for a good one when we already *have* a good one.

Snooks

« Reply #2110 on: January 29, 2014, 05:59:27 PM »
Where did the cat toy now residing on my computer desk come from?  It's a yellow plastic ball, about the size of a ping-pong ball, with a jingle bell inside. It wasn't there yesterday.  We have no resident cats at the moment, and even when Willow was alive, she never played with toys.  They were beneath her dignity.

I sincerely hope the next post from you in this thread is "Where did the cat now residing in my computer desk come from?"

blueyzca01

« Reply #2111 on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:34 PM »
Our personal mystery is…..Ghost Kitteh!

We just moved into our new house in September.  About 2 weeks later, when I was going to sleep, I noticed that it felt like my cat was walking around on the bed.  Problem was, she wasn’t in the room.  And on the rare occasions when we do let her sleep on the bed, she doesn’t ever move, she just lays there.

So one night DH and I actually went to bed at the same time, something that rarely happens.  And it felt like Ridley was walking around.  I asked DH, “Do you feel that?  I thought Ridley wasn’t in the room.” 

A couple minutes later, DH groggily says, “Oh.My.God, this whole time I thought I was nuts.   You really feel it too?!?!  It totally feels like she’s walking around, and I know for a fact that she’s sleeping in her tree right now.” 

So we’re not nuts (well, that can be proven) and we are now convinced that we have a ghost cat.  I think we should name her Bernice.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #2112 on: January 29, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »
Here is a great one I just learned about.  My friend, Leanne, lost her dad in August.   :(  He had been sick with COPD for a long time, yet his death was still unexpected, and it hit my Leanne, her mom, her sister, and her niece really hard.  They have all been just having the hardest time without Mario around, and his loss is felt deeply.  There are weeks in which her mom can barely still get out of bed.  So yeah, very rough on them, emotionally.

However...since about 2 weeks after he died, my friend and her mom have been finding these 2-sided angel coins they had never seen before, in places where they had definitely not been before, (if that makes any sense.)  The first time happened when my friend took a bunch of coins to the Coinstar machine about 2 weeks after Mario died.  She checked the slot beneath the Coinstar before feeding the coins in there, and it was empty.  She also did this after she got her slip and was finished, and it was still empty.  However, something made her check again, and there was the first of the angel coins, a gold colored one.  The second, they found a few days later, as her mom was cleaning out the closet in their master bedroom.  She found what she thought to be a 50 cent piece, as she did not have her glasses on.  However, when my friend came home, she looked at it, and it was a silver colored angel coin.  The third one, I forget how they found it, but the fourth one is really amazing!  They found it in a little basket Mario used to keep by his side of the bed, which he used to hold scissors, clippers, lip balm, etc.  My friend told me they go in there all the time to grab clippers, etc., and then all of a sudden last week, another angel coin was sitting in there.

I had never heard of this phenomenon before, but she told me she had looked it up, and most of the coins are distributed by a mission in Alabama that helps the poor.  People who have lost loved ones have reported finding them in random places, just as is happening to Leanne and her family.  I think it's so cool!  We are hoping they will become a comfort to her mom, because almost six months down the line, she is still having so much sadness and difficulty.  She showed me the first one, from the coinstar, but she said there are several different varieties.  Has anyone else heard tell of this?
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Aunt4God

« Reply #2113 on: January 30, 2014, 12:47:54 AM »
I swear this is true:

One night, a month or so ago, I went to bed wearing pajama pants. When I woke up, the pajama pants were wrapped around my neck.

What the hell do I do in my sleep?!

I know this is an older post, but I had to add my mystery and the final answer to it.

Many years ago now, in HS, I was a cashier at a grocery store.  I was one of the fastest they had, and it became very second-nature to scan and place the item on the second belt to have it go down to the bagger (this was before stores started using those stupid lazy-susan style bag holders.)  One morning, I woke up and my pillow was down at the foot of the bed, as far as my feet could push it. I was sooo confused!  It happened a couple more times after that.  It finally dawned on me when I woke up in the middle of a dream one night and realized I was scanning my pillow and "pushing" it down the "conveyor belt." 

I also used to have parakeets in a cage in my room (before I got married.)  One of them used to annoy the stuffing out of me on Saturday mornings when he would start shrieking a specifically pitched note at the same time of morning.  One week-day morning as my alarm was going off and I rolled over to hit snooze, it kept going....and going.....then I realized it was my parakeet, singing the alarm clock note.  Too bad I couldn't turn him "off" for Saturday mornings like I could my real alarm clock!

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2114 on: January 30, 2014, 05:24:06 AM »

Socks:

I posted the explanation to this universal mystery a long time ago, but it's worth a re-run is more new people have asked.

As is well known, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So, when you place items in a washing machine and it spins, one sock is drawn in, while the other is against the lining of the tub. Thus, missing socks have merely been thrown into the wormhole that forms in washing machines under natural conditions. It doesn't work every time, the same as not all stars collapse into super-dense masses and absorb light. But it does sometimes happen.

The good news is, like a black hole and light, your socks still exist. The bad news is that it's probably in another proto-verse, not yet capable if sustaining its own life, so you won't get them back.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.