Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 312354 times)

Sebastienne

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2130 on: March 03, 2014, 06:51:01 PM »
I came home from work today to find a clothespin on the outside of my mailbox, which was definitely not there a few hours earlier. Walking the dog immediately afterwards, I noticed a few other houses (but not all!) also had mailbox clothespins. These are all wall-mounted mailboxes near the front door. There was nothing attached to the clothespin and no weird mail in our box.

Mysterious! Also, slightly paranoid-making.

When we had the wall-mounted mailbox, we were asked (unofficially) to clip the outgoing mail to the outside of the box so the mail carrier wouldn't have to dig and feel around for it. Maybe that was a hint. :)

I could take it as a hint, except we've never actually left any outgoing mail in the box; there's a post box on the corner... That's actually good to know, though!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2131 on: March 03, 2014, 07:28:21 PM »
I keep meaning to post this craziness...

A couple of weeks ago,  maybe as long as two months ago,  I changed into my gym clothes at work.   I had on my favorite shirt and stuffed it into my gym bag.  When I got home,  it wasn't in my gym bag.  I checked the car,  the restroom at work, asked the janitor and security of anyone turned it in. It was no where to be found. 

My car was cleaned out thoroughly about two weeks ago.  I stopped to do some shopping last week and thought I should replace my missing shirt.   I no more than thought it,  when I saw something bulky fall out of the corner of my eye... While I was  driving alone in my car.

Y'all know where this is going?  There was my missing shirt balled on top of my purse that was sitting in my passenger seat. Holy crap.

I'd like to say this is the only missing thing of mine that had literally fallen out the sky,  but it happened a few years ago with my missing first anniversary bracelet. It disappeared and months later, I opened my car door and was halfway out of the seat when something hard hit my head and landed in my lap.   Yeah,  missing bracelet.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

mime

« Reply #2132 on: March 03, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
Another strange thing while driving.

I drove a Grand Prix in '98. It was brand new. Within a few weeks, the trunk started to open on its own. It didn't pop wide open; it just un-latched and bobbed a little bit as I drove, making lights and sounds go off in my car to alert me to the open trunk. The first few times it happened I thought I must have forgotten to close it all the way. As it became more frequent, though, I became very diligent about closing it tightly before going anywhere and it became clear that the trunk opened on its own while I drove.

A month or so into that, I had a window that opened itself. As I was driving... alone. That scared the *!@# out of me! I closed it up again and kept driving (after some frantic searching the back to be sure I really was alone). It also happened a few more times.

A few weeks into that, the seat started to give me little shocks.    ???

So I called the dealership. I said I needed some work done on my car. I told the guy that my trunk and window both open by themselves and the seat was giving me shocks. I may or may not have also referred to my car as "she". The guy on the phone laughed at me.  ::)

After everything was said and done, the dealership replaced a few simple things since the car was so new, and the problems all went away, but they couldn't really explain all of it. I never once suggested my car was possessed, but that would explain it!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2133 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »

I drove a Grand Prix in '98. It was brand new. Within a few weeks, the trunk started to open on its own. It didn't pop wide open; it just un-latched and bobbed a little bit as I drove, making lights and sounds go off in my car to alert me to the open trunk. The first few times it happened I thought I must have forgotten to close it all the way. As it became more frequent, though,

You didn't run over a paper boy, by any chance ?  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Drive
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:12:22 PM by TeamBhakta »

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2134 on: March 03, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »
Where did all our right-hand gloves go?  DS and his friend wanted to go sledding, got down the glove box, and all the gloves were left-handed.  One or two of the right-handed ones showed up in strange places, but still!

Dawse

« Reply #2135 on: March 04, 2014, 05:44:45 AM »

I had a similar mystery. My Grandad had an Aunt who had married and moved never to be heard of again apparently.

However, I was contacted through Ancestry by a grandson of The Aunt and my Grandad and his brother got to meet up with some of his cousins!
Even stranger, The Aunt had moved to my husbands hometown! These relatives that I had spent a good few years searching for lived around the corner from my in laws! One of them had baptised my husband!

We had something like that in my family too!

On my grandma's male relatives, I forget which exactly - a grandfather? great uncle? around that generation anyway, just disappeared one day, leaving a wife and children behind. He was a fisherman in the North Sea, so the family always just assumed he'd been lost at sea. Terrible tragedy, but that kind of thing happened back then - this would all have been around the 1860s or 70s, I think. Anyway, the wife remarried, life went on.

And then...

Several generations down the line, my Uncle is putting together a family tree. And finds the Male Relative was not lost at sea. He upped and left his wife and kids, and moved with a new wife a couple of hundred miles away... to less than 5 miles away from where I grew up. I had relatives we didn't even know existed living round the corner.

If that's not a weird coincidence, I don't know what is.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

Tosca

« Reply #2136 on: March 04, 2014, 06:10:52 AM »
I live close to a cemetery.  In one of the historical sections, there are the graves that you would expect...and a rotary clothesline.

No one seems to know why it's there, and no one can think of a sensible explanation.  The most plausible I've heard so far is a REALLY Avante-Garde art installation.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #2137 on: March 04, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »

A couple of weeks ago,  maybe as long as two months ago,  I changed into my gym clothes at work.   I had on my favorite shirt and stuffed it into my gym bag.  When I got home,  it wasn't in my gym bag.  I checked the car,  the restroom at work, asked the janitor and security of anyone turned it in. It was no where to be found. 

My car was cleaned out thoroughly about two weeks ago.  I stopped to do some shopping last week and thought I should replace my missing shirt.   I no more than thought it,  when I saw something bulky fall out of the corner of my eye... While I was  driving alone in my car.

Y'all know where this is going?  There was my missing shirt balled on top of my purse that was sitting in my passenger seat. Holy crap.

I'd like to say this is the only missing thing of mine that had literally fallen out the sky,  but it happened a few years ago with my missing first anniversary bracelet. It disappeared and months later, I opened my car door and was halfway out of the seat when something hard hit my head and landed in my lap.   Yeah,  missing bracelet.

As creepy as this is, and as much as it would freak me out, I wish my lost stuff would just fall down on me!    ;)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2138 on: March 04, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »

I drove a Grand Prix in '98. It was brand new. Within a few weeks, the trunk started to open on its own. It didn't pop wide open; it just un-latched and bobbed a little bit as I drove, making lights and sounds go off in my car to alert me to the open trunk. The first few times it happened I thought I must have forgotten to close it all the way. As it became more frequent, though, I became very diligent about closing it tightly before going anywhere and it became clear that the trunk opened on its own while I drove.

A month or so into that, I had a window that opened itself. As I was driving... alone. That scared the *!@# out of me! I closed it up again and kept driving (after some frantic searching the back to be sure I really was alone). It also happened a few more times.

A few weeks into that, the seat started to give me little shocks.    ???

So I called the dealership. I said I needed some work done on my car. I told the guy that my trunk and window both open by themselves and the seat was giving me shocks. I may or may not have also referred to my car as "she". The guy on the phone laughed at me.  ::)

After everything was said and done, the dealership replaced a few simple things since the car was so new, and the problems all went away, but they couldn't really explain all of it. I never once suggested my car was possessed, but that would explain it!

This reminds me of my first car and the goofy tape player.  It just inexplicably stopped working one day and I figured it was just broken.  I couldn't even get the tape out.  Every once in a while, I'd hit the eject button to see if maybe it was just some random thing that would resolve itself but nothing happened.

One day, my friend and I were going somewhere and she asked if she could put a tape in.  I told her it was broken and said something like, "Look, I can't even get this tape out." and hit the eject button.

The tape popped out and worked properly from that time on.   ???

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #2139 on: March 04, 2014, 12:14:24 PM »
While I was going through some difficult years, I found a lot of pennies, which actually did make me feel better.  Eventually I had four large coffee cans full of found coins.

One day I was walking and the thought "where's my penny?" entered my head.  Immediately a penny fell from the sky and landed at my feet.

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

mime

« Reply #2140 on: March 04, 2014, 12:43:39 PM »

I drove a Grand Prix in '98. It was brand new. Within a few weeks, the trunk started to open on its own. It didn't pop wide open; it just un-latched and bobbed a little bit as I drove, making lights and sounds go off in my car to alert me to the open trunk. The first few times it happened I thought I must have forgotten to close it all the way. As it became more frequent, though,

You didn't run over a paper boy, by any chance ?  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Drive

gasp!!!
that would totally explain it!

but, alas, no, I have never run over a paper boy.

;D

kymom3

« Reply #2141 on: March 06, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »
I've been reading this thread all along and have been very intrigued with the idea of asking for something back that's missing and seeing what happens.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to put the idea into practice.  My mom died last August, and one of the jewelry pieces I got from her was a charm bracelet.  Mom had 3 separate completed charm bracelets, so my sister, SIL, and I each got one, this was a fourth bracelet that she started--I have no idea when.  When I looked closely at the bracelet, it only had two charms on it--a pearl, which is my birthstone, and a small gold heart set with tiny diamonds.  They were side my side.  We divided up Mom's jewelry about a month ago and I've worn the bracelet every day since then, I could look at the pearl and the heart and feel my mom close to me.   :)

Yesterday morning when I was getting ready for work, both of the charms were on the bracelet.  Last night, the heart charm was gone.  I was so upset!  I had no idea when it was lost, and it is so tiny, I figured it was gone for good.  So I just said a quick--please come back.

This morning, when I was making up my bed, it was under my pillow!!  I have no idea how it got there, I made my bed up yesterday morning and slept in it last night of course, but it was already missing when I went to bed.  AND, I was really tossing and turning this morning, because of the dingdangity cats, moving my pillows and everything, so I don't see how it could possibly have just been lying there.

I said a very heartfelt thank you, and will make sure it is securely back on the bracelet when I get a minute to do that.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2142 on: March 17, 2014, 11:39:49 AM »
There's one from my Mother that I would love to know about but, since everyone involved is dead, it's not likely to happen. 

Mom was from a family of five children.  During the 1930s, several cousins who lived in the Bronx were sent to live with Mom's family because of financial problems in their own.

These cousins had an unusual last name.  In the 1960s, there was a rather celebrated case in which several members of a family with the same last name were murdered.  This family also lived in the Bronx.  I always wondered if these was the same people who stayed with Mom and her family. 

Margo

« Reply #2143 on: March 17, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »

I had a similar mystery. My Grandad had an Aunt who had married and moved never to be heard of again apparently.

However, I was contacted through Ancestry by a grandson of The Aunt and my Grandad and his brother got to meet up with some of his cousins!
Even stranger, The Aunt had moved to my husbands hometown! These relatives that I had spent a good few years searching for lived around the corner from my in laws! One of them had baptised my husband!

We had something like that in my family too!

On my grandma's male relatives, I forget which exactly - a grandfather? great uncle? around that generation anyway, just disappeared one day, leaving a wife and children behind. He was a fisherman in the North Sea, so the family always just assumed he'd been lost at sea. Terrible tragedy, but that kind of thing happened back then - this would all have been around the 1860s or 70s, I think. Anyway, the wife remarried, life went on.

And then...

Several generations down the line, my Uncle is putting together a family tree. And finds the Male Relative was not lost at sea. He upped and left his wife and kids, and moved with a new wife a couple of hundred miles away... to less than 5 miles away from where I grew up. I had relatives we didn't even know existed living round the corner.

If that's not a weird coincidence, I don't know what is.

\that one's not uncommon. At that time, divorce was uncommon, expensive, and not readily available. It's not uncommon to find a spot of bigamy in a family tree.

Reader

« Reply #2144 on: March 17, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »

As creepy as this is, and as much as it would freak me out, I wish my lost stuff would just fall down on me!    ;)

Me too.  I wish my silver hoop earrings or the match to one of my artisan made earrings would show up.