Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 277512 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2175 on: April 27, 2014, 11:34:42 PM »
When my oldest son was a toddler, I gave him a bottle (baby bottle, when still drank out of those) of milk when we were at my mother's house for the night.  It was a bigger bottle, like the 9 oz kind.  Filled up the thing.  He took it and toddled off.  Shortly after that, we looked for the bottle and couldn't find it.   Looked all over, and could NOT find it.

He's 14 now, and we NEVER found that bottle.

And I asked my mother later that week if she found the bottle.  Nope, she never did.  And yes, we checked the garbage.  I thought for sure we'd find it at some point, because hey, it was milk, and it would obviously start smelling pretty soon if it was left out.  But no, we never found it.  My mother has since passed away, and we cleaned out her house to sell it.  Never found that bottle.  And it still bugs me.

This is my theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Girl_Lost_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29
My mother said that episode scared her so much that she had to go and check to make sure her children were all in their beds where they were supposed to be!

My current mystery:  DH and I came home from a trip to see my family last month and found a pair of prescription glasses on the front doorstep.  No idea how they got there or who they belong to.  They certainly don't belong to us, because our glasses don't leave our faces except in bed; they don't belong to any of our children or grandchildren, nor any of the SCA people using our backyard archery range while we were gone.

Regarding this glasses, I'm betting someone found them on the sidewalk and out them there hoping they belonged to someone in your house.
Possible, but there's no sidewalk.  People do walk along the street, though.   DH has queried the archers, and no one there that week found them. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

HappilyInsane

« Reply #2176 on: April 28, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »
Where did my apartment key card go to?

I was leaving for a trip several weeks ago, and decided to run *one last errand* (fatal, I know). I have to use the key card to get into and to exit the parking garage, and to enter the building by the front door.

I took the key card out of my purse, and opened the parking garage door to exit.

When I returned, no key card. I searched my purse. I searched the car. I went back to the store, searched all the aisles I had been in, and around where I'd parked. No key card.

I inveigled a very nice woman to loan me her card, so I could park my car, and get into my building, because the superintended was off duty, and the contact number he'd left said "What do you want me to do? I can't replace your card."

I managed to get everything done about 5 minutes before the taxi arrived to take me to the airport. But the key card has not returned, even though I've bought a new one (replacing things usually makes the lost ones reappear, but not this time).

Still have no idea where else it could have gotten itself. (The last time I lost one was in my apartment, when I dropped one and it disappeared. Turns out it had slid through the crack of my closed closet door, then under my largest suitcase.)
On the other end of that spectrum, I had to have some recall work done on my car that required them to take out the center console between the two front seats. The mechanic found two debit cards belonging to the previous owners inside. Wanting to be sure that didn't happen to us, DH and I spent about an hour thoroughly inspecting said console for how that happened. We could find no possible way to have done it on purpose, much less have it happen accidently.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2177 on: May 31, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »
How do appliances/cars know when I have saved up some cash for something I want/need? 

I struggled to get cash for a new fridge...didn't NEED it, but it is old and may go soon.

The same day I said I was buying the fridge, the whole exhaust system fell out of the car.  I still have the old fridge.

I'd finally made some headway on my credit cards...which was when both air conditioners decided to go.  At once.  Both of them just a few months past their warrantees.  All the work I'd put in on the credit cards?  Back on with interest.

Got some cash together to refresh my wardrobe...and there went the air conditioner on the car. 

Got a refund from Uncle Sam...was going to put it towards a semi new car.  Surprise!  I had to make emergency trips to my family and the subsequent trouble with having to change my airline reservations twice, me paying for my groceries (and my father's...this is never going to change) and so forth...ate up most of the refund...the rest I put on--you guessed it--the darned credit cards.  (Ok, this is family and not appliances....but I hadn't said a word to them about the refund...the universe conspired against me, I guess.)

And yesterday, when I had decided that I could still reduce my debt (five figures spread across three cards) and was nearing my first financial goal in that respect (and save a little money toward new glasses)....the car engine started smoking so badly I had to pull over and get the tow service to come and get me.  I've been driving for at least two days without antifreeze!  There was no warning, there were no stains in the driveway or anywhere else....it's just gone.  Lord knows what I've done to the engine.....

And this, too, will have to go on the credit card I thought I was (finally) going to pay off this month.

Seriously, how do they know?????
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:17:17 AM by Yarnspinner »

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2178 on: June 03, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »
I don't know, we have the same problem.

We came into a little money this month and were pretty excited that maybe we'd get to go on a little trip (our first vacation in years).  Then our tenants informed us of their plans to not renew the lease and now DH (prudently) wants to sock that money away in case we have trouble finding renters right away.  Hopefully we'll find new tenants before the current ones move but darn it!

Asharah

« Reply #2179 on: June 03, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »
Ever read Sally Forth? The running joke is something comes up everytime they save some money towards their dream trip to Paris.
Asharah

Lynn2000

« Reply #2180 on: June 04, 2014, 09:41:05 AM »
Something weird happened to me this morning. I did what I always roll my eyes about when I hear the interns use it as an excuse for being late--I slept through my alarm! I rolled over and sleepily glanced at the clock, and it was an hour past when I was supposed to get up. I did the thing move characters do where I jumped out of bed and ran to check two different clocks to confirm the time. Fortunately I get up so early that even oversleeping by an hour won't make me late to work, but it was really strange!

The clock, the room, everything was the same as it always is. The alarm was indeed set and to the correct time, in the morning (I have been guilty of setting it to the time in the evening on accident). I don't know how long it goes off before it gives up (sorry, neighbors), but I missed the whole thing. Obviously I needed the extra sleep! I changed the battery in the clock (it's a travel alarm clock) just in case it was running down and the alarm was too quiet.
~Lynn2000

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #2181 on: June 04, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
I don't care what anybody else says, my cat understands English. Which is a mystery.

When I am trying to keep my bedroom door closed for some reason, and she keeps shoving it open to come in, & then shoving it open to come out, & then shoving it open to come in...and so on, if I say "whatcha doing furface?" she'll flop over, or blink at me, or do something else.

But every freaking time I say "ok cat. it's in or out. pick a side of the door" she promptly flops over right across the doorjamb. Every. Single. Time.

She totally understands me, and she's making a point that she doesn't live by my puny human rules. I know it!
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2182 on: June 04, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
Where did my pitch bowl end up?

I carefully placed in the car when moving. I took my time doing it, since I was afraid the pitch might get warm and ooze out of the pot. I removed it when I arrived in my new home and brought it up. It has never been seen again. I need it, it is not inexpensive and a new one would take too long to arrive.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2183 on: June 04, 2014, 07:06:57 PM »
Well, I can tell you a little how the magical car mystery has played out:  cracked radiator, warped head gasket and compromised engine....I guess if there ever was a good excuse for buying a nearly new car, this is it.  Of course, I will soon be officially very poor, but at least I won't be worrying about the car!  (I expect that the refrigerator will get jealous and self destruct next.)

Reika

« Reply #2184 on: June 04, 2014, 07:09:34 PM »
Oh no, Yarnspinner. *hugs*

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2185 on: June 04, 2014, 07:58:03 PM »
Thank you, Reika.  If I am to tell the truth, it's kind of a relief since I have been doing the dance of one who knew she needed to get a new car but didn't want to because she hates the whole process of buying a new car.  The good news is that the payments aren't nearly as high as I thought they would be, and the "certified pre-owned" car I am getting is barely two years old and handles great....but oh, Lord, the next few days are going to be full of that "you need to fax X to Y" and "Bring us document A" and I just want to give them the down payment and get the keys.

The whole amusing part of this is that I am pushing sixty and I did what every adult woman does when her car goes ka-put--I called my eighty five year old daddy.  He said "Honey, I KNOW you think you can put it all on your credit card, but whatever they told you it would cost to fix it will be three times as much.  Listen carefully.  Buy.  A.  New.  Car."

Reika

« Reply #2186 on: June 04, 2014, 09:53:40 PM »
Thank you, Reika.  If I am to tell the truth, it's kind of a relief since I have been doing the dance of one who knew she needed to get a new car but didn't want to because she hates the whole process of buying a new car.  The good news is that the payments aren't nearly as high as I thought they would be, and the "certified pre-owned" car I am getting is barely two years old and handles great....but oh, Lord, the next few days are going to be full of that "you need to fax X to Y" and "Bring us document A" and I just want to give them the down payment and get the keys.

The whole amusing part of this is that I am pushing sixty and I did what every adult woman does when her car goes ka-put--I called my eighty five year old daddy.  He said "Honey, I KNOW you think you can put it all on your credit card, but whatever they told you it would cost to fix it will be three times as much.  Listen carefully.  Buy.  A.  New.  Car."

Having added up what it would cost to repair a car in the past has made me learn that it's just better to get a newer car. Like when we replaced the old 2002 Daewoo Nubira with a 2010 Toyota Corolla. In the first month we realized that half the payment was taken care of in savings in gas alone. Less little repairs helped too.

Here's hoping that any future mysteries will be the awesomely good kind. :)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2187 on: June 04, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »
Ever read Sally Forth? The running joke is something comes up everytime they save some money towards their dream trip to Paris.

Or Erma Bombeck, who wrote that one year that she and her DH had socked away money for a trip, it was "Mommy! Daddy! The grass outside my window is wet and it smells!"  ::)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2188 on: June 11, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »

Or Erma Bombeck, who wrote that one year that she and her DH had socked away money for a trip, it was "Mommy! Daddy! The grass outside my window is wet and it smells!"  ::)

Okay, I'm being dense, I know, but I don't get this one.  What's up with the grass?

My husband has an old car.  Well, two, actually, but one is supposed to replace the other so he's selling one.  It's an old diesel Mercedes circa 1983.  Apparently these cars run *forever*.  I've had people come up to me when they see the car, and say, "Wow, how many miles you got on that thing?  They run forever, don't they?" and "Man, I love those old Mercedes, they just don't make them like that anymore."  So there are *some* cars that are worth fixing and keeping on the road forever.  But maybe they just don't make them like that anymore? :)  (I'm sure it's a great car, but I'll admit to strongly preferring my 2009 minivan.  :) )

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #2189 on: June 11, 2014, 10:38:45 PM »

Okay, I'm being dense, I know, but I don't get this one.  What's up with the grass?

I'm going to guess that means the septic tank is busted.